Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With an iPad you need to use the supplied charger; an iPad won't charge from a standard USB charger, although an iPhone will. The iPad requires 10W to charge (5V @2A) compared to the USB standard of 5V @1A. The reverse is not true, though: the iPad charger will charge standard USB devices.
You do not need to use the supplied charger to charge an iPad. I've hardly used an iPad charger to charge my iPad. All you need is a charger with enough output.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do not need to use the supplied charger to charge an iPad. I've hardly used an iPad charger to charge my iPad. All you need is a charger with enough output.
You can't use a standard USB charger, though. The iPad requires 10W to charge, not the USB standard of 5W. I'm sure there are non-Apple chargers which meet this requirement, but I don't personally have any.

Plug an iPad into a standard USB charger and it'll say "not charging". It is, in fact, trickle charging and will gain a few percentage points charge in an hour, but it's very slow.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can't use a standard USB charger, though. The iPad requires 10W to charge, not the USB standard of 5W. I'm sure there are non-Apple chargers which meet this requirement, but I don't personally have any.

Plug an iPad into a standard USB charger and it'll say "not charging". It is, in fact, trickle charging and will gain a few percentage points charge in an hour, but it's very slow.
As long as the charger can output at least 2.1A, it will do for an iPad. Though 2.4A is preferable.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As long as the charger can output at least 2.1A, it will do for an iPad. Though 2.4A is preferable.
I'm sure you're right, Jon. I, as I've said, don't have any such charger other than my official iPad chargers.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Question about chargers. I have an 11-inch laptop that uses a charger with an mini-USB. Can I charge it with any of the myriad phone and device chargers that use the same USB plug? I'm assuming it would just take longer to charge, but I'm hesitant to try for fear of damaging the laptop.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Question about chargers. I have an 11-inch laptop that uses a charger with an mini-USB. Can I charge it with any of the myriad phone and device chargers that use the same USB plug? I'm assuming it would just take longer to charge, but I'm hesitant to try for fear of damaging the laptop.
I really doubt it. Look at the laptop's charger and see what power it supplies - what's the output voltage and current? It's probably a lot higher than the standard 5W of a USB charger.

It would take an eternity to charge a laptop battery from a 5W charger.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I would think not. I don't expect laptop chargers to be able to drop the power output of the charger depending on what's plugged in. I would not want to risk any of my electronics.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I would think not. I don't expect laptop chargers to be able to drop the power output of the charger depending on what's plugged in. I would not want to risk any of my electronics.
Surprising that a laptop charger would have a mini-USB plug. The use of a standard USB connector generally implies that the device is USB-compliant, and the charging current is a part of that standard.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
This is all about AMPS available on the port being used as ALL USB1 and 2 ports are 5V +/- 5% (since there is no such ting as a negative voltage drop , 5.1V is best)

The basic USB port on your PC will supply up to 500mA, then it shuts off. Some devices detect this port and switch to a "slow charge" mode to keep from tripping the over current device.

BTW I have lost track of how many I have. Ranges from .5 to 2.1A per port.

Car (12V), computer External powered USB Hubs, Outlet strips with charging ports, a couple of Samsung Tablet chargers, Phones*, BT Earpiece chargers*

* cord attached.
My Laptops take 19V. I even have a 12V cord in my road warrior bag for when I need to charge that between stops
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #25
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The laptop in question is an ASUS two-in-one--the keyboard detaches so it can be used as a Windows tablet. The charger I have for it is loose at the end with the electric plug--it requires some jiggling and careful placement--and ASUS doesn't sell the charger separately. So I've been vaguely wondering if a charger I already own might work, but, as I mentioned, I fear damaging the unit.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Catlady What model ASUS? From looking at their website the Transformer Mini T102HA explicitly states any power bank or mobile charger with a micro USB connection will work for charging purposes.

Alternatively just look on your existing charger; there should be figures for voltage and amperage given.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #27
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
With an iPad you need to use the supplied charger; an iPad won't charge from a standard USB charger, although an iPhone will. The iPad requires 10W to charge (5V @2A) compared to the USB standard of 5V @1A. The reverse is not true, though: the iPad charger will charge standard USB devices.

All my other devices, I just use whatever USB charger is closest at hand. I have a couple of them permanently plugged into wall sockets - one in the kitchen and the other in my bedroom - and just connect whatever device requires charging.
We charge my husband's iPad using the same charger that I use for my Android phone, with a different cable, of course. It charges just fine. I just tried it with three different ones, just to make sure that I wasn't mis-remembering, and it worked fine with all three.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #28
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Catlady What model ASUS? From looking at their website the Transformer Mini T102HA explicitly states any power bank or mobile charger with a micro USB connection will work for charging purposes.

Alternatively just look on your existing charger; there should be figures for voltage and amperage given.

I have the T100TA-H1. It's got a micro USB, not a mini (I always confuse those).

The charger says:
Quote:
Input 100-240V ~ 0.5A 50-60Hz 30-40VA
Output: 5V ... 3A
It's Greek to me, plus I haven't done any research beyond checking the other day that ASUS no longer sells the charger separately.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

In that case, no, a standard USB charger won't work.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA2461JM2969

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote