Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
Margot1975
Margot1975 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Column doesn't show

I want to add a new colomn to show in calibre.
If I go to preferences and 'add your own colums' and then check the columns I want to add..press apply and everything is like I want it.

But when I restart Calibre, then everything is the same as before the change the newly added colomn is not visible.

What am I doing wrong??
Margot1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot1975 View Post
If I go to preferences and 'add your own colums' and then check the columns I want to add..press apply and everything is like I want it.

But when I restart Calibre, then everything is the same as before the change the newly added colomn is not visible.

What am I doing wrong??
@Margot1975 - Are you trying to add a new Custom Column, or show an existing column.

The following shows the default setup, perhaps you could 'talk' to it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	155720

And, do you have the View Manager plugin installed?

Added : and, do you have a device plugged in or not, that may make a difference

BR:

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-18-2017 at 09:05 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Margot1975

Hi!

I'm trying to add an existing column, no device attached and no view manager plug-in.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Columns are stored INSIDE the DB (because they are unique to that library).
Does the rest of Calibre (edit metadata) work correctly?

does it work if you start it from the commandline with PI's disabled?

Code:
calibre.exe  --ignore-plugins
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Columns are stored INSIDE the DB (because they are unique to that library).
Does the rest of Calibre (edit metadata) work correctly?

does it work if you start it from the commandline with PI's disabled?

Code:
calibre.exe  --ignore-plugins

@Margot1975 - is it one one the built-in columns (i.e. one of those shown in my previous screen shot) or a custom column? If latter what type of custom column?

Which OS = MS Windows, Apple OSX or Linux, if latter which one?

One other thought, you wrote

Quote:
But when I restart Calibre, then everything is the same as before the change the newly added column is not visible.
How do you normally terminate calibre in order to restart it?

Could you try this: after you make the change do a restart from within calibre by pressing Ctrl+R? That will terminate calibre and start it again automatically. Do you get the same mis-behaviour?

BR
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lastly
Are you running Calibre on a Library that is synched to the cloud? That may be putting back (restoring from a prior save) the DB
Always pause synch when running Calibre.exe
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:17 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:

What am I doing wrong??
if you are talking about a column being visible in the main Calibre window, then right-click on the Column headers area and you will be given a menu which includes an option to adjust which of the available columns should be shown there.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:56 AM   #8
Margot1975

Quote:
Hi!

I'm trying to add an existing column, no device attached and no view manager plug-in.
Sorry, i do have View manager installed.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:03 AM   #9
Margot1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

@Margot1975 - is it one one the built-in columns (i.e. one of those shown in my previous screen shot) or a custom column? If latter what type of custom column?

Which OS = MS Windows, Apple OSX or Linux, if latter which one?

One other thought, you wrote

How do you normally terminate calibre in order to restart it?

Could you try this: after you make the change do a restart from within calibre by pressing Ctrl+R? That will terminate calibre and start it again automatically. Do you get the same mis-behaviour?

BR
Is is on W10 and they all are custom coloumns.
Restart with Ctrl+R doesn't work
I don't know how to enter the command line to start Calibre without PI.

It is in the cloud, but I always have it disconnected while working in Calibre.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:05 AM   #10
Margot1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
if you are talking about a column being visible in the main Calibre window, then right-click on the Column headers area and you will be given a menu which includes an option to adjust which of the available columns should be shown there.
I know, that works fine. But I want to show them permanently. If I restart Calibre, all is back to the situation before the change.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I know, that works fine. But I want to show them permanently. If I restart Calibre, all is back to the situation before the change.
You said you have View Manager installed. If so, do you have it configured to use a particular view when starting calibre?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You said you have View Manager installed. If so, do you have it configured to use a particular view when starting calibre?
@davidfor - if not set to a specific value I believe it will default to "Last View Used". This and related issues were much discussed, at considerable length, between JimmXinu and me in the VM thread October last year, the upshot of which was zilch - the PI was last updated in Nov 2014.

@Margot1975 - if you have a Start Up view specified tick the column you want in that view, otherwise tick it in all views.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-19-2017 at 06:07 PM. Reason: add 1000 years :lol:
Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@davidfor - if not set to a specific value I believe it will default to "Last View Used". This and related issues were much discussed, at considerable length, between JimmXinu and me in the VM thread October last year, the upshot of which was zilch - the PI was last updated in Nov 2014.

@Margot1975 - if you have a Start Up view specified tick the column you want in that view, otherwise tick it in all views.
If it is defaulting to "Last View Used" at startup, will that be a View Manager view? If it is, then the added column won't be displayed. And that gives a reason for View Manager to be the culprit whether a start up view is selected or not. But, it is "working as designed".
Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If it is defaulting to "Last View Used" at startup, will that be a View Manager view? If it is, then the added column won't be displayed. And that gives a reason for View Manager to be the culprit whether a start up view is selected or not. But, it is "working as designed".
@davidfor - if your post is directed at me, I don't know what you're trying to tell me.

FWIW : another 'by design feature' of the VM plugin -- if the VM plugin is never configured for a library then the book list for that library behaves as though the View Manager is not installed - in other words you have to create a View in order for the plugin to have any effect on the book list columns on a library. This implies that the OP not only has the PI installed, but she/he has configured it with at least one View for the library in question.

BR
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@davidfor - if your post is directed at me, I don't know what you're trying to tell me.

FWIW : another 'by design feature' of the VM plugin -- if the VM plugin is never configured for a library then the book list for that library behaves as though the View Manager is not installed - in other words you have to create a View in order for the plugin to have any effect on the book list columns on a library. This implies that the OP not only has the PI installed, but she/he has configured it with at least one View for the library in question.
It was directed at you, but it was more a question plus some guesses based on what I expected the question to be. Your post does add something.

My guess is that the OP has:
  • Created one or more views.
  • Used a view for a while.
  • Either:
    • Selected a startup view.
    • Didn't select a startup view in which case the last used view is used.
Both would mean that View Manager would set the view and hence the displayed columns when calibre started. And that would mean that the new column would disappear from the column list whenever calibre was restarted.

From the sounds of it, the OP should uninstall View Manager. Or disable it until they are ready to use it properly. At the least, temporarily disable it to prove if this is the cause of the problem.