Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #2821
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Steps 5-9. 1-4 are not necessary.

I think we learned that ther are a few very lucky people that can skip 1-4, but most people still need them.

So you can try step5, and if it works, move on to steps 6+

But if it doesn't do anything, start over at step 1.

The important thing for 5.8.9.0.1 is that the existing factory files WILL NOT WORK ON JAPAN MANGA MODEL PW3, YOU WILL BRICK YOUR KINDLE IF YOU TRY. ) this can be true for any model not explicitly listed as being safe. The firmware for 5.7.4 does not include the boot-up code for any device newer than when it was created. And installing it on the wrong device can brick it.

But I know that those instruction work 1-8 work on the US( /standard ) PW3 [ G0 90 G1 ] at 5.8.9.0.1. You can downgrade to 5.7.4 still.

But because there is not alot of space and people don't like to read, anything more complicated than ( manga model - newer versions than G090G1, etc ) knc1 has volunteered to PM people directions.

Last edited by coplate; 11-04-2017 at 11:55 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #2822
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaesarW View Post
I got a new Kindle paperwhite 3 with 5.8.9.0.1 firmware. Wanna jailbreak. What to do?
That certainly sounds like this thread to me:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291336

Go there, read it, wait for me to PM you some additional information.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #2823
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Finally confirmed that 5.9.2 requires booklet version of KUAL.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #2824
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Finally confirmed that 5.9.2 requires booklet version of KUAL.
Then kindlet support is gone?
Have you tried other kindlets or only KUAL?
On which device?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #2825
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Then kindlet support is gone?
Have you tried other kindlets or only KUAL?
On which device?
It is very much gone, has been for over 16 months now.
It was dropped with the introduction of the generation 8 devices (KT3 and KOA).

I think hius07 is writing about 5.9.2 on the PW3.
Since the situation with the KT3 and KOA is known (old news) and the jail break for the KOA2 is not (yet) public.
(The "hotfix" package is broken on the KOA2 - but we intend to fix that, just any old day, RSN.)

And then KindleTool has to be updated, not with just new models this time, but with a new platform and new board.

Last edited by knc1; 11-05-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #2826
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PW3 updated to 5.9.2, running KUAL*.azw2 caused en error.
After installing bin from KUAL archive it starts well.
Other kindlets not tested.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #2827
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
PW3 updated to 5.9.2, running KUAL*.azw2 caused en error.
After installing bin from KUAL archive it starts well.
Other kindlets not tested.
So they "backported" the dropping of kindlet support from the 8th. generation devices to the 7th. generation device now.

I wonder if they did the same to the KT2 running 5.9.2?

In the case of KUAL, we already have it covered, the booklet KUAL will run on ANY touch screen Kindle (with firmware more recent than 5.2.something).
Old 11-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #2828
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@knc1: So far PW3 is the only model besides KOA2 that has been updated to firmware 5.9.2.

Since PW3 update containers u-boot.bin I was wandering if that will have an effect on being able to use current versions of rescue pack & coward's rescue pack?
Is someone with serial port setup & PW3 willing to test if update to 5.9.2 breaks rescue pack functionality (and/or being able to reinstall them post update) ?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #2829
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
I wish to give my PW2 to my brother, and for it to use his account. It is currently on FW 5.8.1. Am I correct in assuming the proper procedure is to make sure the backdoor remains closed (update.bin.tmp.partial folder in root), deregister it from my own account, reregister it under his account, and then proceed with the regular JB process for the PW2 as described in the OP? Or will the JB survive a deregistration/reregistration?
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #2830
knc1
Going Viral

The jail break will survive, but the application keys will not.
So you will have to re-install the "hotfix" after it is de-registered and again after it is registered.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #2831
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The jail break will survive, but the application keys will not.
So you will have to re-install the "hotfix" after it is de-registered and again after it is registered.
Ah OK great, thanks a lot
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #2832
Emmbego
Emmbego began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th gen
I have KT3 with 5.8.11 fw, i read at the start that the fw version is not jailbrakable, or something like that. I was too lazy to read other replys in the 180 pages, so i want to know if it is possible to downgrade and jailbreak, and how.
Emmbego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #2833
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbego View Post
I have KT3 with 5.8.11 fw, i read at the start that the fw version is not jailbrakable, or something like that. I was too lazy to read other replys in the 180 pages, so i want to know if it is possible to downgrade and jailbreak, and how.
The KT3 is an exception.
All you have to do is read and follow the directions in the first post.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #2834
hius07
Wizard

Are there any PW3 owners who have installed the hotfix after updating to 5.9.2?
Is it OK with your device? Tried to connect to a computer with a cable?
Which hotfix and how have you installed it? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #2835
JuLuu
JuLuu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Will this jail break work on my current firmware?
If the third field of your firmware version number: 5.8.7.0.1 is larger than 7 this jail break will not work on your device.
That means it will not work on: 5.8.8, 5.8.9, 5.8.10, ..., 5.8.99999999.
Please do not even think of asking if this message still means what is written. The message is kept current.

There is a single, complex, special case for 5.8.9.0.1 firmware version. If you get a Kindle with that firmware version, please just post in this thread before you do anything to it, your device **might** be one of the rare exceptions.

Hi all, I have just bought a kindle with the 5.8.9.0.1 firmware, which I believe is a special case. Can I jailbreak my device?

Thanks.

J
JuLuu is offline   Reply With Quote