Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
Had to work late last night so didn't have much time to test it yet but every "work around" I had to fix things in iBooks is now broken. Two main issues, sometimes text won't center properly and it seems to ignore the full justification options in CSS. Both were fixed by placing a <span> around the text but that no longer works. Need to play with it more. It broke not just my personal epubs but even commercial ones. Have to see if my source can get me the updated doc for iBooks, that really helped the last time they upgraded and broke things. Wish Apple would make that doc available to the general public.
This is really important to me - I prepare ebooks for Circaidy Gregory Press, and we advertise that the ePub versions can be read on an iPad. If the centering fix is broken we may have to stop doing that - or stop centering.

Is the updated doc you mention 'For Your Eyes Only'? Private Mail?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #17
bpawlik
bpawlik began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Wish Apple would make that doc available to the general public.
Would be really nice if someone how gets this document post it here... if it's legal of course. If not I must ask You for priv email
bpawlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
The document I refer to is the "iBookstore Asset Guide". It is not available to app developers, which I am, but is to people with a "publisher" account at Apple, ie. those who can actually post books and music to iTunes. An earlier version really helped me with my ebooks and I'm working on checking out the current release. I will let people know what I learn.

As for the centering issue, haven't really checked that out yet, focused on the justification so far. Just noticed some text that I recalled as centering in a commercial book wasn't now. So far nothing has worked on the justification though I still have a few ideas to test out.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
bpawlik
bpawlik began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
So it looks like we have to wait for some "leak", hope it happens soon...
bpawlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
Ugh, I give up. I can't get the new iBooks to do full justification in CSS. The only way it will do it for me is to turn on the "Full Justification" switch in settings. But then I have some books I don't want it on. I have found even with the switch on it will right justify if I use "text-align: right !important" but it ignores "text-align: left !important" (which is really what I want) and no matter what it refuses to honor "text-align: justify". My old fix doesn't work and nothing new I've tried yet works. Maybe someone else will find something or when I can finally get the guide maybe it will have the magic key.

I guess I will now look at the "center" issue and see IF that is an issue or not now. I'm not sure it is.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #21
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
Sure you can (on the iPad, I mean). Just hit aA, Themes, Full Screen => On.

The full screen option is a toggle, and theme-independent.
Ahh. I only have checked it out on iphone so far. No full screen for iphone, how ludicrous.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #22
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Ahh. I only have checked it out on iphone so far. No full screen for iphone, how ludicrous.
Indeed! And the iPhone is where its most needed...
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
So far, so good ...

Wish the Kindle for iOs would be like this one, with full landscape, of course. Ironically, I don't use iBooks with Apple books.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #24
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
So far, so good ...

Wish the Kindle for iOs would be like this one, with full landscape, of course. Ironically, I don't use iBooks with Apple books.
Me either. Never have bought a book from them and probably never. Still, have to give them credit for a nice app that works with side loaded content and syncs sideloaded content across apple device.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #25
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I had the opportunity to read a book, or at least start one, on my iphone4 today since the ibook upgrade. I like it. I prefer the sepia tint and it works fine. I generally don't use the phone as a reader but I do have a book on it...just in case.
I usually use my KFire.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #26
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Finally -- Night Mode. Love it. I like the "book chrome", but glad it's an option for those that don't like it.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:41 AM   #27
merscad
merscad began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad, Kindle
Quote:
Ugh, I give up. I can't get the new iBooks to do full justification in CSS. The only way it will do it for me is to turn on the "Full Justification" switch in settings. But then I have some books I don't want it on. I have found even with the switch on it will right justify if I use "text-align: right !important" but it ignores "text-align: left !important" (which is really what I want) and no matter what it refuses to honor "text-align: justify". My old fix doesn't work and nothing new I've tried yet works. Maybe someone else will find something or when I can finally get the guide maybe it will have the magic key.

I guess I will now look at the "center" issue and see IF that is an issue or not now. I'm not sure it is.
We're seriously having the same problems when it comes to text justification. Before version 1.5, some paragraphs can be left-aligned while others are justified. Now, all paragraphs are justified/left-aligned if the iBooks settings is justified/left-aligned. There aren't any variety in the text alignment after iBooks version 1.5.
merscad is offline   Reply With Quote