Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
BSewer
BSewer began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Calibre Companion can't connect with Calibre

I recently updated Calibre and now Calibre Companion can no longer connect. I've tried turning on and off the computer (windows 8), my tablet and my modem but the problem remains. I didn't have a problem before I updated. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.
BSewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you check the status of the Wireless Device Connection (on the sharing over the Net Icon).

It probably is just a coincident that it broke when it did.
A/v and O/S updates happen all the time. It is more common for an A/V firewall update to decide Calibre needs blocking
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
BSewer
BSewer began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
CC not connecting with Calibre

Thank you for your advice. I did disconnect the firewall and that didn't work. Played around some more (not very technical but I'm pretty much guessing here since I'm not very technical) and things finally worked. I did notice in CC settings that the IP address was the same as Calibre but they had different ports. CC had 8080 and Calibre had 9090. Is that a problem?

I really would like to have an idea about what happened so I can either prevent or fix it if/when it happens again.

Thanks for any advice.
BSewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSewer View Post
Thank you for your advice. I did disconnect the firewall and that didn't work. Played around some more (not very technical but I'm pretty much guessing here since I'm not very technical) and things finally worked. I did notice in CC settings that the IP address was the same as Calibre but they had different ports. CC had 8080 and Calibre had 9090. Is that a problem?
It could be. 8080 is the default port for the Content Server. 9090 is the default port for the Wireless Device. If the "wrong" port is used when setting up the connection in CC then it won't work no matter what you do.

It is rare that putting an IP address into the Wireless Connection setup is required to make CC work. That means that both automatic connection methods are failing but the firewall is letting the connection through. Are you sure you can't use CC's automatic connection (no IP address in the box)? That said, if you have it working then perhaps it is best not to mess with it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSewer View Post

I really would like to have an idea about what happened so I can either prevent or fix it if/when it happens again.

Thanks for any advice.
WDC defaults to 9090
The content server defaults to 8080

You can change those to any unused port on your system. They both should NOT be the same
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote