Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #61
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Why?

Do you want Amazon to lose? I love my Kindle.

Anything else I get would be in addition to it...not a replacement for it.

I'd love to be able to use ADE on my portable -ereader, for example.
It has nothing to do with wanting them to lose or win. I want them to have more competition. I'd like to see them open the Kindle up to other formats and make Kindle format available to other companies readers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #62
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Support e-pub I'm in - no support - no interest
I just bought a Kindle DX a few months ago, so justifying another ereader would be pretty difficult -- even with ePub support. However, I just might be tempted.

If they added ePub, supported folders, and an SD Card then I'd probably just have to breakdown. Really looking forward to hearing the details next week.

P.S. I like the name Athena.

Last edited by Daithi; 10-15-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #63
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
My answer is yes, as long as they continue to sell exclusively in a propitiatory format.

/

P.S. even so I'm very tempted to purchase a kindle simply for access to the books and prices that Amazon offers.......

Is it THAT big of a deal in your private personal life -- or are you just hugging to principle?

I love the device-- which means I live with its shortcomings.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #64
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Is it THAT big of a deal in your private personal life -- or are you just hugging to principle?

I love the device-- which means I live with its shortcomings.
Yes. I'm a person of principle.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #65
Semantic
Semantic began at the beginning.

Device: T2010
Original: http://www.shanzai.com/index.php/ban...m-china-mobile
Semantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #66
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
The Athena name is mentioned from another source:
http://www.mobilitysite.com/2009/10/...oogle-editions

While I understand that Athena alludes to the greek goddess of wisdom, I think the main issue is giving a device a person's name, especially when it's a woman's name.

I'm not sure a man would want to, in public, refer to his device with a woman's name. Not sure how women would feel in the same situation. What if the iPhone was called Steve? Or Susan? Remember Microsoft B.O.B.?

Or maybe the name is not quite subtle. It is the goddess of wisdom. May as well call it "Awesome", "Omnipotent", "SuperCool", or "KnowItAll".
Quote:
Friend: Is that the Athena ereader?
You: I prefer to call it the <clears throat in a manly fashion> A.T. N.A.
Friend: Did you order her online or from a store?
You: Store. I bought it in a store.
Friend: She looks great. Can I try her out?
You: <Stress builds...>
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #67
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have an extra large bottle of aspirin that I'm willing to share for the headaches that come with the gift of too many choices.
I appreciate the offer, and may take you up on it.

I really am glad that there will be a great diversity of devices available. I just wonder how I'll ultimately make a decision -- and when I'll make it. I sometimes find that when there are too many choices, no one choice has a feature that is so compelling as to make it the undisputed must-have device, so I them procrastinate. Which only makes the problem worse because it gives time for even more choices to appear. I believe they call this the neverending circle of my life's decision-making process.

There are only certain things i know for certain: (1) I will not buy a Kindle; (2) I will only buy a device that supports ePub (in hopes that it will be proof against obsolescence at least for 6 months); and (3) the screen must be at least 6 inches and e-ink (i.e., I don't want to read on an LCD screen). After that I'm in a quandary.

The biggest advantage to the Plastic Logic, iRex, and the B&N devices are that they will give me access to the B&N bookstore.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #68
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
We know Fictionwise has talked about ePub with eReader style DRM, but to the best of my knowledge they haven't talked about it for quite a while and no mention has been made by any device manufacturers. Have you heard something recent about it?
No I have not heard anymore about, however B&N to this point have not been too free with discussing their plans.

We will see on the 20th when they announce their device as to just what formats it will support.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #69
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
A decidely much more mixed reaction: http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...c,14567.0.html
An all Kindle forum is not very impressed with a non Kindle device? I'm shocked!
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #70
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A rose by any other name.....
Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #71
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Why?

Do you want Amazon to lose? I love my Kindle.

Anything else I get would be in addition to it...not a replacement for it.

I'd love to be able to use ADE on my portable -ereader, for example.
Not everyone likes the Kindle. Just because you like it, doesn't mean it is perfect for everyone.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #72
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If the "first quarter of next year" is accurate, Inventec probably isn't making the Athena. Otherwise B&N is going to miss out on Christmas sales.
Their deal with Irex might make more sense if their own reader (Athena) isn't going to be available 'till "first quarter of next year". I'd be hacked if I was Irex and B&N announce their own reader will be available before Christmas. Here you are, releasing the DR800SG at the end of October, and your partner (B&N) cuts you off at the knees by announcing on the 20th (supposedly), that their new, cheaper reader, with more interesting specs, will be available in Nov/Dec.

Stranger things have happened though. Hopefully more will be revealed on the 20th
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #73
kennyc

Let's see what they say on the 20th, eh. They may have been hedging their bets or it may be a one, two, whammy with B&W by Christmas and color for spring.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #74
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
There are only certain things i know for certain: (1) I will not buy a Kindle; .
Ok, your loss.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #75
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
An all Kindle forum is not very impressed with a non Kindle device? I'm shocked!
Rationalization is in play.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote