Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
selpai
selpai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Paperwhite 2/3 Jailbreak

Is there any way to garner interest in a jailbreak for the newer lines of Paperwhites? Is it a simple lack of interest and talent, or are there other limitations preventing a new Jailbreak?

If it's a matter of resources, then I'm sure that we could get something together.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Can we like, pay someone to create a jailbreak?

Last edited by selpai; 06-22-2015 at 08:01 PM.
selpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by selpai View Post
Is there any way to garner interest in a jailbreak for the newer lines of Paperwhites?

Is it a simple lack of interest and talent, or are there other limitations preventing a new Jailbreak?

If it's a matter of resources, then I'm sure that we could get something together.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Can we like, pay someone to create a jailbreak?
Without even knowing what a 2/3rd paperwhite might be ....

Technical limitations are the problem, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261843
(Yes, I know that thread is five days old, but it is most likely still current.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The just-announced PW3, I'd guess. vs. the PW2 which we also can't jailbreak.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The just-announced PW3, I'd guess. vs. the PW2 which we also can't jailbreak.
NT: Do you think it is time we asked for a PW3 prefix?
(and put in a PW3 index page)

Ah, Amazon still hasn't adopted our nicknames:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQVZDJM/..._shopall_k_kpm

kpm?
I guess they are just trying to be difficult.

- - - -

NT: Has any of our developers decided if they will purchase one?
(Personally, I am beginning to hate throwing money towards Amazon, but we should own at least one among us I think.)

- - - -

Edit:
KV -> PW3 :: No page turn areas on case, no adaptive front lighting, same screen.
PW2 -> PW3 :: Now using the KV screen.

I wonder if they have removed the serial port connections from the motherboard this time.
It seemed they where working towards that over the past year.

Last edited by knc1; 06-23-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Can anyone tell me what 1.8v ttl adapter to buy ? thanks
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
Can anyone tell me what 1.8v ttl adapter to buy ? thanks
http://jim.sh/ftx/

Details in my KT2 Exposed Thread.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
http://jim.sh/ftx/

Details in my KT2 Exposed Thread.

can I somehow buy an external adapter that is 1.8v for reference? don't want to solder/tape that much more points to destroy the mb.. thx
Old 06-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
can I somehow buy an external adapter that is 1.8v for reference? don't want to solder/tape that much more points to destroy the mb.. thx
Sounds like you need the help of the run-forever, pink, rabbit . . . .

A battery with Lithium-Iron (A.K.A: Li/Fe) chemistry has an open circuit voltage of 1.8 volts.

Which is all you need, its going to be a reference value for CMOS - current draw most likely in the fractions of a nano-amp (A.K.A: Open Circuit - hold battery ends between fingers, that will draw more current than the CMOS reference input will).

One example:
The Energizer "Ultimate Lithium" dry cell, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1v8.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	797.0 KB
ID:	139634  

Last edited by knc1; 06-25-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #9
kocoman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sounds like you need the help of the run-forever, pink, rabbit . . . .

A battery with Lithium-Iron (A.K.A: Li/Fe) chemistry has an open circuit voltage of 1.8 volts.

Which is all you need, its going to be a reference value for CMOS - current draw most likely in the fractions of a nano-amp (A.K.A: Open Circuit - hold battery ends between fingers, that will draw more current than the CMOS reference input will).

One example:
The Energizer "Ultimate Lithium" dry cell, see attached.
The battery idea is good, but I was thinking of some dc to dc regulator/transformer is more reliable when I actually do the jailbreak few years down the road when I have time. thx
Old 06-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The battery idea is good, but I was thinking of some dc to dc regulator/transformer is more reliable when I actually do the jailbreak few years down the road when I have time. thx
Well, that would be wrong thinking.

Far too many things and places in its hook-up that can go wrong and/or pick up noise.
Solid, independent, reference source is what you want.

And run unloaded, that example battery will continue to produce the 1v8 reference based on its chemistry for 20 years (according to the manufacturer).

Plus, you can use the battery in other devices when not jail breaking your Kindle.

- - - - -

"When I actually do the jailbreak [a] few years ..."

In that case, postpone your interface planning until then.
Things change rapidly in the field of electronics.

In fact, you would be better off to wait until your ready to do the work before asking questions.
Our answer a few years from now may not be the same as it would be today.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #11
kocoman
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well, that would be wrong thinking.

Far too many things and places in its hook-up that can go wrong and/or pick up noise.
Solid, independent, reference source is what you want.

And run unloaded, that example battery will continue to produce the 1v8 reference based on its chemistry for 20 years (according to the manufacturer).

Plus, you can use the battery in other devices when not jail breaking your Kindle.

- - - - -

"When I actually do the jailbreak [a] few years ..."

In that case, postpone your interface planning until then.
Things change rapidly in the field of electronics.

In fact, you would be better off to wait until your ready to do the work before asking questions.
Our answer a few years from now may not be the same as it would be today.
I mainly use it to jb the unit then disconnect it, so noise is fine