Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #31
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
We've been at cross purposes. What you call a hub I call an adaptor (in #35), and I have one. That's ok then! I only wondered about safety because recalls tend to for safety issues and nothing else in my experience.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This is what I call a hub:
https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Supe.../dp/B008ZGKWQI

or
https://www.amazon.com/Powered-Trans...N099SW7RB4F3K9

So they can be called either "hub" or "Adapter" (when they support charging high current devices).

Manufacturers of chips will recall them when they are found to be a defective design.
Not for safety, but to maintain their reputation for quality, rather than for the lack of it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #33
mand
Zealot

Yeah, my brain was working slowly this afternoon. I got this because I wanted to use my mouse at the same time as my portable hard drive. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aukey-4-Po...item3f5d7c7ec4
Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
Yeah, my brain was working slowly this afternoon. I got this because I wanted to use my mouse at the same time as my portable hard drive. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aukey-4-Po...item3f5d7c7ec4
Try plugging the Kindle into that, it should be trouble free.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #35
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try plugging the Kindle into that, it should be trouble free.
Well in fact, the first time the laptop failed to recognise the kindle, it was with the hub/adaptor. I thought maybe that was the problem (backwards, I now know) and tried without it. Both times with the cable that came with the device. But later it worked ok... I'll try a few more times with and without, and with its own cable and my old cable - tomorrow, not tonight.
Advert
Old 10-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #36
knc1
Going Viral

Did the 'slowness' problem go away on its own?
Old 10-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #37
mand
Zealot

Sort of. It did with regard to page turns while in the home screen, but not if I tap-n-hold - the "dialog box" stays until I tap something else. The menu is most useful for getting rid of these.

I'm going to observe whether this only happens when there are things waiting to be indexed, now I know to look for those.

Last edited by mand; 10-30-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #38
knc1
Going Viral

That sounds like it is working normally.
Some of the dialog boxes are intended to remain visible until dismissed.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:17 AM   #39
mand
Zealot

No, I meant they don't go away when dismissed. The little X shows that I've tapped it, by going black, but the box stays there till I tap something else eg the menu or a book on the bit of list visible behind the box.

It's like a backlog of things to be redrawn, which don't get redrawn no matter how many page turns or close-box taps I enter, but the backlog suddenly catches up with itself when I open a different menu, a document, or a different dialog.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Have not seen that problem since PW-1 days.
I do not have that problem on mine.

Mine:
Model: G000 KA
Firmware: 5.8.5
Build: (304830064)
Items on device: 45
Installed stuff: current Jail Break and kTerm (only).
Disabled: Voice View and Bluetooth, most of the time, Wifi Off (in Airplane mode).

Yours? (firmware detail from the "Device Info" panel).

= = = = =

You are correct, events are "queued" internally, but you should not notice it on a human time scale, only the cpu knows about that queue that keeps its actions organized.

Last edited by knc1; 10-30-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #41
mand
Zealot

It must be me. I do this to things just by existing near them.

When being rational(!) I tend to assume it's because I over-fill things (folders, lists, directories...*) and/or clog them up with faster clicks/button-presses/taps than they can comfortably buffer. I once discovered the upper limit on the number of bookmarks in a version of some browser, I forget which, and I live with dozens (sometimes literally dozens) of tabs open. BUT... I'm not the only one in the world who does this. I can't be the only person who inputs commands quicker than they can be actioned, and I have trained myself out of it mainly, nowadays.

* ...handbags, bookcases, cardboard boxes, saucepans...

Last edited by mand; 10-30-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #42
mand
Zealot

Mine:
Model: G000 KA
Firmware: 5.8.5.0.1
Build: (3077520002)
Installed stuff: none
Disabled: Voice View and Bluetooth, most of the time, Wifi Off (in Airplane mode) - same as you but wifi is on and off, as I like accessing Wikipedia as well as the dictionary; doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's in aeroplane mode or not.

Items on device: 96
Available: 2,775 MB free

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You are correct, events are "queued" internally, but you should not notice it on a human time scale, only the cpu knows about that queue that keeps its actions organized.
I can't remember ever using anything that had a chip inside without noticing it on a human time scale, after a few months if not a few days. <- I need an :exasperated: emoticon instead of that!

Last edited by mand; 10-30-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #43
mand
Zealot

And with the battery fully charged, it's still happening.

By the way, can I assume this battery prefers to be overcharged, as I'm used to with the K3?
Old 10-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #44
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
It must be me. I do this to things just by existing near them.

When being rational(!) I tend to assume it's because I over-fill things (folders, lists, directories...*) and/or clog them up with faster clicks/button-presses/taps than they can comfortably buffer. I once discovered the upper limit on the number of bookmarks in a version of some browser, I forget which, and I live with dozens (sometimes literally dozens) of tabs open. BUT... I'm not the only one in the world who does this. I can't be the only person who inputs commands quicker than they can be actioned, and I have trained myself out of it mainly, nowadays.

* ...handbags, bookcases, cardboard boxes, saucepans...
You have figured out how to overfill bookcases. Please share the method as I am resorting to boxes to store extra books.

Hope you and your kindle get along soon.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #45
knc1
Going Viral

Different firmware version.
That *.0.1 is suppose to mean they fixed something very minor, but it could be they messed something else up at the same time.
It has been known to happen all too often.

If you can live with it, I would wait and see if Amazon rolls out a *.0.2 to fix the fix.

Tags
battery, hanging, hung, kindle 3, kt3 setup