Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

iRex Forums Open

Over on the iRex site I noticed that the forum is up and running. No posts of yet.

There is a FAQ that gives a bunch of information that is a bit helpful and shows some direction. There is a reference to version 2.6, no date though, Checked for updates with an IDS connection on the iLiad - nothing new.

There are some "reviews" in the store section - not many glowing reports and not many over 3 Star ratings. I applaud iRex in not editing them out.

IMHO the iLiad is still not fully ready for prime time and we really are beta testers. I am still having fun with it, and it makes me exercise my patience muscles! At least we have hardware in our hands - were the firsties!

Last edited by firekat; 08-03-2006 at 11:20 AM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Link...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's on the main page over on the left, but here's a direct link.

Would it be too obnoxious to post a link to the MobileRead iLiad forum under the FAQ thread?

Last edited by NatCh; 08-03-2006 at 11:23 AM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

NatCh,

I have a burning question for you, what is the significance of all your iconography - you avatar & signature line? I am very intriguied!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
There are some "reviews" in the store section - not many glowing reports and not many over 3 Star ratings. I applaud iRex in not editing them out.
I saw the reviews awhile ago... Mostly seemed to be rants about how over-priced it was...

So, who is going to be the first to post...?
Advert
Old 08-03-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=5

say hi o/
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
jęd
Evangelist

SECOND POST...!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
NatCh,

I have a burning question for you, what is the significance of all your iconography - you avatar & signature line? I am very intriguied!
My avatar is a stylized phoenix, I came up with it while doodling during my first college class, summer of '89. A truly riveting history class you know.

I just like the way it looks, mostly, but the resurrection mythos fits well with my beliefs (I know, you didn't know you were asking, so I won't go further )

The sig line is less interesting, more a bit of fun than anything. It's the greek letters Psi and Phi, or Sci-Fi, my favorite genre.

You didn't ask, but my handle is actually a contraction of my name, first three of my first name (well middle, which is what I answer to) and the first two of my last, hence the peculiar caps structure. It started as a "hacker handle" in high-school, but as I never actually hacked anything, I just kept using it.

Did you come through the quake okay over there? I know it was a small one, but I thought I'd ask...
Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
firekat
Groupie

That's pretty neat! I like all that "alternative" belief structure. Don't color inside lines! That would fit very well here in the Bay Area.

Quake. Oh, fine. Was having an celebratory personal anniversary date drink at an old lighthouse that is now a restaurant/bar. It is located out in the Oakland Estuary and is mounted over the water on pilings. I started to feel the very distinctive lateral shaking, it lasted about 10-15 seconds. It was what we refer to as a "roller" in that it has more of a rolling feeling than a sharp jolt. You can always tell an earthquake from the large truck or train going by in that movement in most cases will always have a lateral or horizontal component versus just the vertical/longitudinal vibration that you would have in the latter case.

We were about 25-30 miles from the epicenter which is near a little town called Glen Ellen. Interestingly enough I was looking at property up there recently. They have had a number of small quakes there recently, maybe it will scare some people out and drive property values lower (temporarily of course!) so I can move!

I was in San Francisco for the Loma Prieta Quake in 1989.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
That's pretty neat! I like all that "alternative" belief structure. Don't color inside lines! That would fit very well here in the Bay Area.
Oh, I said "resurrection" not "reincarnation" (I don't want to give the wrong idea) -- I don't think my beliefs would qualify as "alternative" unless you get among some really fringe elements who think they're the mainstream, such as the students of UC Santa Cruz, for instance (go Banana Slugs !). I was in the South Bay (San Jose) area for ~2 years in the late 90's, and I don't think I fit in all that well. Part of why I returned to the Promised Land of Texas. It's amazing how intolerant 'alternative' folks can be if you get them in large enough concentrations -- guess that's just a human trait, rather than tied to any given philosophy.

Quote:
Quake. Oh, fine. Was having an celebratory personal anniversary date drink at an old lighthouse that is now a restaurant/bar. It is located out in the Oakland Estuary and is mounted over the water on pilings. I started to feel the very distinctive lateral shaking, it lasted about 10-15 seconds. It was what we refer to as a "roller" in that it has more of a rolling feeling than a sharp jolt. You can always tell an earthquake from the large truck or train going by in that movement in most cases will always have a lateral or horizontal component versus just the vertical/longitudinal vibration that you would have in the latter case.

We were about 25-30 miles from the epicenter which is near a little town called Glen Ellen. Interestingly enough I was looking at property up there recently. They have had a number of small quakes there recently, maybe it will scare some people out and drive property values lower (temporarily of course!) so I can move!

I was in San Francisco for the Loma Prieta Quake in 1989.
Oddly I managed to be travelling out of the state for all the quakes that happend while I was in living CA. It was pretty weird. There for a while I started wondering if my leaving was causing tremors. But then I moved, and California didn't fall into the ocean, so I decided that it wasn't me after all.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Hey guys!

Started the second non-iRex iRex Forum thread of all time!

Link:

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9

Post all your software ideas in the thread.

Sam Krupa
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
firekat
Groupie

Quote:
It's amazing how intolerant 'alternative' folks can be if you get them in large enough concentrations -- guess that's just a human trait, rather than tied to any given philosophy.
It is also surprising how intolerant "conseratives" can be as well!

I categorize it in two ways to cover these extremes:

"Totalitarian Liberalism"

"Dictatorial Conservatism"
Old 08-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
It is also surprising how intolerant "conseratives" can be as well!
Yeah, that's what I meant by intolerance not being tied to a given philosophy.

Nobody's got that particular market cornered. I'm afraid I find it a bit annoying, though, when folks don't think they're being intolerant just because they don't identify with one of the groups that's commonly/traditionally perceived as intolerant (such as "conservatives"). It's rather like saying "I can't be racist, I'm not white!"

But now we're really wandering off-topic. I'd suggest we start a philosophy thread, but there are whole other forums dedicated to that area, and I'd really rather not go any farther here than we already have, not because I don't have things to say, but because we're not in the proper place to exchange/discuss them.

Focus, NatCh, e-ink ... e-readers.... Maybe a trip to the meditation thread would clear my head?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #14
firekat
Groupie

Off topic! Oh Jeez, don't want to do that!

I try to avoid overly passionate discussions of politics, religion and music! People's delicate sensibilities get too easily bruised.

Back to the subject at hand - What do you think of the new iRex forum? Do you think technical and other issues will be addressed in a more timely and hopefully polite manner?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
What do you think of the new iRex forum? Do you think technical and other issues will be addressed in a more timely and hopefully polite manner?
Well, they certainly seem to be on the ball so far. Don't know if you've seen yet, but Jęd posted in the SD supported Thread, in the hardware sub-forum regarding iRex's response to his question on SD cards. They seemed to reply pretty quickly, and they were certainly polite.

I'm going to guess that this is an indication that they're trying to get their PR house in order. I think that they'll be pretty attentive for the near to middle future. After that ... we'll just have to see what happens.

Perhaps they hired some new folks just to handle the forum and other PR. That would explain the sharp improvement in the PR area recently....