Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #91
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Lifestyle. Especially when a newspaper has a section with that name.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #92
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Lifestyle. Especially when a newspaper has a section with that name.
Are there any that don't?

I still cringe whenever I hear 'Moving forward, the outlook for <whatever> for the next <however long> is... dismal/bright/bleak/buoyant."

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #93
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Are there any that don't?

I still cringe whenever I hear 'Moving forward, the outlook for <whatever> for the next <however long> is... dismal/bright/bleak/buoyant."

BR
Ugh, me too.

I'm also getting tired of "Holy Grail." "Finding a complete skeleton is the Holy Grail of paleontology." "Not losing your socks is the Holy Grail of appliance manufacturers."
Old 02-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #94
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I hope the overuse of "Holy Grail" has't soured you on wampeters in general.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #95
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I hope the overuse of "Holy Grail" has't soured you on wampeters in general.
I remember reading Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons a long time ago, but I don't recall reading the Books of Bokonon. Was there a Holy Grail in there?
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #96
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I remember reading Wampeters, Foma & Granfalloons a long time ago, but I don't recall reading the Books of Bokonon. Was there a Holy Grail in there?
No. The Holy Grail was just used as an example of a wampeter.

Quote:
Dear Reader: The title of this book is composed of three words from my novel Cat's Cradle. A "wampeter" is an object around which the lives of many otherwise unrelated people may revolve. The Holy Grail would be a case in point. "Foma" are harmless untruths, intended to comfort simple souls. An example: "Prosperity is just around the corner." A "granfalloon" is a proud and meaningless association of human beings. Taken together, the words form as good an umbrella as any for this collection of some of the reviews and essays I've written, a few of the speeches I made.
The Books of Bokonon were fictitious. They were the scriptures of Bokonism from Vonnegut's fictitious religion in Cat's Cradle.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-11-2020 at 08:21 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #97
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
Why is a duck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin
Because a motorcycle has no doors.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:14 AM   #98
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No. The Holy Grail was just used as an example of a wampeter.

The Books of Bokonon were fictitious. They were the scriptures of Bokonism from Vonnegut's fictitious religion in Cat's Cradle.
Wow, I don't remember any of that. Maybe it's time to read that book again.-)
Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #99
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Just sayin'.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #100
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Just sayin'.
Oh, yes! How did I forget this one? One of the cheapest, smarmiest phrases in existence.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #101
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Artisanal.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #102
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Artisanal.
Along with that, in the food world at least, is heirloom. Often meaning fruits and vegetables from seeds prior to selective breeding (aka old style GMO). Except that selective breeding has been going on for as long as humans have been farming, although not as sophisticated as today's.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #103
arjaybe
Wizard

"I could have told you that."

Well, why didn't you, then?
Old 02-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #104
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Vegan Leather.
It's just the same old PVC and PU made out of oil that we have had for maybe over 80 years to make really cheap shoes and jackets, but marketed at x10 the price.
Almost no real leather is deliberately farmed. It's a by product of the meat and dairy industries.
By all means campaign for more ethical farming and less or no dairy and meat production, but "Vegan Leather" is nothing to do with that. It's Marketing and poor for the environment (uses oil, wears out much faster, not recyclable).

Look up the history and production of PVC and Polyurethane (PU).

Over 80 years ago the Germans did develop a synthetic leather basically from paper, ie rags and tree pulp. Cheap paper, Cellulose, Viscose etc are made from sustainable softwood trees. Bamboo Fibre clothes are not, they are a form of Viscose made from processed bamboo.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-18-2020 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Real?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:13 PM   #105
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Almost no real leather is deliberately farmed. It's a by product of the meat and dairy industries.
That's what I was thinking, but then why is leather so expensive? The processing and turning the hide into leather? Considering how much beef we eat in the US I'd think that leather should be cheap.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote