Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 01:33 AM   #31
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
I think the standalone video subscription may be popular. Perhaps cord cutters like myself switching between Hulu/Netflix/Amazon based upon new content arriving in their respective catalogs.
Getting all 3 still cheaper than cable

Sent from my SM-G925I
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post

Sent from my SM-G925I
If you have a FireTV or PlayStation you could add Sony's VUE service and *still* be cheaper than cable.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #33
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
What's the story with Prime and Kindle? Is there a free lending library? If so, what are the terms?

Movies don't interest me. I have a Roku for PBS, The Smithsonian and MLB. The only TV or video service I would want would be the Golf Channel. (Big fan in the family) He doesn't like movies, game shows and TV specials, either.

OTA works just fine for what we can get. But he does like to look through books to see what he wants to read and can be extremely fussy. If all the books can be lent out, that would solve the problem of not liking a book after it was paid for.

For myself, shipping only would be OK.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
What's the story with Prime and Kindle? Is there a free lending library? If so, what are the terms?
Kindle Owners’ Lending Library

Quote:
Borrow one Kindle Book per month for free on any Kindle device with no due dates.
Edit: a complete listing of all Prime benefits can be found here at the bottom of the page

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-26-2016 at 11:14 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post

Movies don't interest me. I have a Roku for PBS, The Smithsonian and MLB. The only TV or video service I would want would be the Golf Channel. (Big fan in the family) He doesn't like movies, game shows and TV specials, either.

OTA works just fine for what we can get. But he does like to look through books to see what he wants to read and can be extremely fussy. If all the books can be lent out, that would solve the problem of not liking a book after it was paid for.

For myself, shipping only would be OK.
The Kindle Online Lending Library lets you check out one ebook at a time for an unlimited time, maximum one per month.

Kindle first gives you one ebook a month (out of six, typically) to own.

Amazon music has streaming music stations and playlists.

Freetime Unlimited gives you a discount on the subscription.

Gamers get lower prices on video games.

Advance notice of lightning deals.

And, recently (experimentally?) certain products are only available directly to Prime members. Though available via third party resellers.

Other perks, too.

It's a customer loyalty program.

The video? It has its uses.

If you're a Doctor Who fan, a follower of Michael Connelly' BOSCH novels, or are intrigued by their exclusive shows you'll probably find stuff to like. Their content targets a very specific demographic and has a fair amount of HALLMARK films and kid friendly material. It has PBS, STARZ, and CBS content you won't get on Netflix or Hulu. And they recently signed up a good chunk of the best Indie movies at the Sundance film festival. Us they have a Woody Allen series coming. (As I said, they target a specific, slightly upscale, demographic.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...uted_by_Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=6938769011

This listing is old but...

http://uproxx.com/tv/10-best-streami...-amazon-prime/

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-26-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Advert
Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #36
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post

Sent from my SM-G925I
Yes, pretty much anything is cheaper than cable. I threw off Time Warner Cable, was paying $140 a month bundled Internet and cable. I now have a fixed Internet price of $44.98 a month from a local ISP, add Hulu, Netflix, and Sling TV total $85 a month and I'll never run out of things to watch, nor be subject to the ever-changing (increasing) costs of TWC. Saving $55 a month $660 a year.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
Yes, pretty much anything is cheaper than cable. I threw off Time Warner Cable, was paying $140 a month bundled Internet and cable. I now have a fixed Internet price of $44.98 a month from a local ISP, add Hulu, Netflix, and Sling TV total $85 a month and I'll never run out of things to watch, nor be subject to the ever-changing (increasing) costs of TWC. Saving $55 a month $660 a year.
I'm keeping an eye on Sling's new multistream Packages. Replacing Disney and ESPN with Fox channels and the regional sports networks makes them very interesting.

One thing about the Fire streamers is they are open to most of the major streaming services.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-26-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #38
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I'm keeping an eye on Sling's new multistream Packages. Replacing Disney and ESPN with Fox channels and the regional sports networks makes them very interesting.

One thing about the Fire streamers is they are open to most of the major streaming services.
That's the one I have. Never liked paying for ESPN and Disney. I like FX and National Geographic. The multi-streaming is definitely an advantage.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote