Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
kLy
kLy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Unhappy Kobo Glo infinitely stuck in restoring loop

Hi!

I'm getting the same thing that happened to the OP here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289156

The Glo just keeps "Restoring" over and over again indefinitely.

However unlike the OP:
1. Doing a factory reset (light button + power) just keeps me stuck in this loop
2. Connecting the device to USB also just resumes this loop without it showing up on the PC

Is there any other way to manually flash the firmware? Like putting it into some kind of recovery mode? Or any other possible fixes?

Thank you!
kLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can rewrite an image to the internal SD card. I have sent you a PM with the link to the image. For instructions, see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide.

If restoring the image doesn't work, try a new SD card. If it is failing, it could easily cause this sort of problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
kLy

Wow so it's just a micro sd card inside.

I'm following the guide now but this link doesn't work: https://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=29

I see it is an .img file. Can I also use Rufus to write it to the SD card?

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLy View Post
Wow so it's just a micro sd card inside.

I'm following the guide now but this link doesn't work: https://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=29
They rearranged the site a bit. It is at the bottom of: https://www.vconsole.com/download
Quote:
I see it is an .img file. Can I also use Rufus to write it to the SD card?
I haven't used Rufus. A quick look at the page only tells me "maybe".
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
kLy

Okay, so when flashing the SD card, the app threw an error, so maybe the card is busted.

I don't have an SD card lying around so I'll pick one up tomorrow when I'm in town. I think the smallest one I can find these days is 16GB. That shouldn't be a problem right? That's still SDHC when the original 2GB card is just plain ol SD. The Kobo should work with SDHC I'm guessing?
Advert
Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Okay, so when flashing the SD card, the app threw an error, so maybe the card is busted.

I don't have an SD card lying around so I'll pick one up tomorrow when I'm in town. I think the smallest one I can find these days is 16GB. That shouldn't be a problem right? That's still SDHC when the original 2GB card is just plain ol SD. The Kobo should work with SDHC I'm guessing?
I've used up to a 32GB uSD card as a replacement without problems. You might want to check the MiniTools Partition Wizard to allow extending the FAT32 partition so you can use the extra space. Version is newer than listed in the modification guide so you may have to browse for it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #7
kLy

Working! Amazing! Thank you so much davidfor and DNSB!
Old 11-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
Tencents
Tencents began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can rewrite an image to the internal SD card. I have sent you a PM with the link to the image. For instructions, see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide.

If restoring the image doesn't work, try a new SD card. If it is failing, it could easily cause this sort of problem.
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with my Kobo after I tried to reinitialize it.

@Davidfor : may I ask you if you can send me an image, I would to try to fix it the way you described.

Thanks (and sorry for my bad English, I'm french but I try my best )
Tencents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
Tencents
Tencents began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Glo HD
Done !

Restored the image with the file of Davidfor (and with a little help of a friend ). The Glo works perfectly again.

Thanks a lot !
Tencents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
flknzhn
flknzhn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi guys I have the same problem. May I ask for the image, too? or is it publicly available somewhere?
Havent used my kobo in quite a while and have only now found that thread. Hope it is still activate. Many thanks in advance!!
flknzhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

And for the future, if anyone finds this, please use the firmware request thread for the Glo in the Developers subforum. This makes it easier for me to track what I have and haven't replied to.

Just adding some emphasis in case people people didn't notice this.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-14-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #13
Automatix02
Automatix02 began at the beginning.

Device: N514 Aura
Hi, my Kobo N514 Aura has the same problem. After the device did not start any more I tried to reset and at the end factory reset. But when the black "Restoring ..." screen appears, it gets stuck after the 2nd rectangle (with some horizontal stripes).
Any idea what do do? Thanks in advance.
Automatix02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #14
Kobo_clara
Kobo_clara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Help

Hi,

Having the same issue described here, I have a Kobo Clara HD.
Manual reset doesn't work, stuck on an endless loop.
Can anyone help?
Thank you!

Quote:
Hi!

I'm getting the same thing that happened to the OP here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289156

The Glo just keeps "Restoring" over and over again indefinitely.

However unlike the OP:
1. Doing a factory reset (light button + power) just keeps me stuck in this loop
2. Connecting the device to USB also just resumes this loop without it showing up on the PC

Is there any other way to manually flash the firmware? Like putting it into some kind of recovery mode? Or any other possible fixes?

Thank you!
Kobo_clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:53 PM   #15
Leviathan32
Leviathan32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I am having the same issue. I would be very grateful is someone could send me the link with the firmware image of the Kobo Glo.
Leviathan32 is offline   Reply With Quote