Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
Rayha
Rayha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Error message when updating metadata - changing title or author

I get the following error message (see qoute below) when modifying metadata for a book. I've located the error message to be connected to changing Title or Author of the book, and also when deleting the book. Other metadata can be modified without any problem. It looks like the error message comes when I want to rename or delete a directory in the file structure. The strange thing is that this error message does not appear when a book is created, i.e. when the files and directories are created. It does not appear when the book is converted to other formats or when other formats of the books are removed, i.e. adding and deleting files within the directory.

I'm storing the library on a network disk mounted as CIFS mounting point from my NAS. I know that this is not recommended, but this is my setup. Everything was working as it should until 1-2 weeks ago. I did 2 things around that time:
  1. Temporary removed the CIFS mounting point, reinstalled the network volume on NAS, then added CIFS mounting point again
  2. Upgraded Calibre to v3.27.1.

I think I managed to add the CIFS mount point correct, and from a File Explorer on the same server as I run Calibre, I am able to rename and delete directories on the network drive. Are there any changes done in Calibre that could cause this error? I don't remember the previous version of Calibre, but I check regulary, maybe every 2-3 weeks for updates.

Here is the error message I get:
Quote:
calibre, version 3.27.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>error</b>5, 'CreateFileW', 'Access is denied.')

calibre 3.27.1 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.17134-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17134')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17134', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 5) && Goodreads (1, 1, 14)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 604, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 579, in apply_changes
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\basic_widgets.py", line 222, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 824, in func
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1073, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1486, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 382, in __init__
error: (5, 'CreateFileW', 'Access is denied.')
Rayha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You have found one of the problems trying to run calibre from a Network Attached device.

Please read the FAQ at the Calibre help site.
At best, NAS or network devices should only be used to SHADOW (one way sync only) the Library. Some folk get away with using NAS, but t, then the question only is: When will it bite you
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Rayha
Rayha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks guys, I've read the FAQ regarding this. That's why I said that I know this is not recommended. The reason for storing my library on a NAS network share, is not because I share this area with others. It's because of security, my NAS disk is running RAID 5 and I have a parity disk securing my data. This is important for me.
And the strange thing is that it did work before. And the user accessing the file share has full privileges on the share.
Rayha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayha View Post
Thanks guys, I've read the FAQ regarding this. That's why I said that I know this is not recommended. The reason for storing my library on a NAS network share, is not because I share this area with others. It's because of security, my NAS disk is running RAID 5 and I have a parity disk securing my data. This is important for me.
And the strange thing is that it did work before. And the user accessing the file share has full privileges on the share.
You seem to be missing the bit about "unstable". It can work (and seems to have), then it fails. Just keep a clone (shadow) on your NAS. You have a backup, should you ever need one. on a parity drive
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayha View Post
I keep a backup copy of my calibre library on network storage. The scheduled batch file stops calibre server, zips up the library, restarts calibre server and copies the archive to the network storage. At one point, I was using a Synology NAS and found the simply copying the library over to the NAS and back could cause erratic issues while zipping the library before copying has never caused me an issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote