Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
How about writers that incorrectly quote aphorisms? I'd complain more about it, but the point is mute.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
How about writers that incorrectly quote aphorisms? I'd complain more about it, but the point is mute.
funny man.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #33
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Quote:
My husband and son actually say it that way. Drives me crazy. I think they do it just to mess with me, now.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
My husband and son actually say it that way. Drives me crazy. I think they do it just to mess with me, now.
One that doesn't bother me is 'to the manor born'. It is wrong. the correct phrase is 'to the manner born', but 'manor' manages to communicate the same message, unlike a point being mute.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
One that doesn't bother me is 'to the manor born'. It is wrong. the correct phrase is 'to the manner born', but 'manor' manages to communicate the same message, unlike a point being mute.
I liked To the Manor Born though I think my son was a touch out of it when he gave me the complete series on DVD a couple of Christmases back.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #36
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Confusion of lie/lay drives me crazy.
I have to admit: this is one I never remember correctly.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:02 AM   #37
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Putting together an elderly ebook for the Library recently, I came across reference to a mysterious handgun type, to wit, an "automatic revolver".

An amazing number of writers of action/crime stories in the olden days (my youth) don't seem to know anything about guns. (At least I know what a Walther PPK is, and what PPK stands for. And what makes it different from a Walther PP.)

Movie makers often don't know either. I recall years ago watching a US Civil War western where the guys were all toting Colt Peacemakers, which were introduced in 1873. And a world war 2 movie set in North Africa, in which the officer's staff car was a 1949 Ford. With whitewall tyres.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I ran across one recently where the murder victim, an orphan, was a boy who was an Hon. I kept thinking that the resolution of the story would have something to do with inheriting the title the honorific derived from, but no. Well into the book it was stated that he had no living relatives other than a maternal uncle.

Not possible. And this was a Golden Age mystery where the author really, really must have known better.

Last edited by issybird; 02-02-2019 at 07:13 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 AM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post

An amazing number of writers of action/crime stories in the olden days (my youth) don't seem to know anything about guns. (At least I know what a Walther PPK is, and what PPK stands for. And what makes it different from a Walther PP.)
The internet in general, and youtube specifically, can be very useful for research purposes. Especially on weapons. There's a *lot* of material on contemporary and historical weapons and armor. You just have to be careful to keep some salt handy; not all sources are as knowledgeable as they pretend to be.

As for "automatic revolvers" there really was such a thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_revolver

Quote:

A standard revolver is a manually operated weapon, using the action of cocking the hammer to advance the cylinder in a single-action, or the action of pulling the trigger to advance the cylinder and cock the hammer in a double-action. The idea behind an automatic revolver is to automate both actions, removing the need to manually cock the hammer between shots while retaining the lighter trigger pull of the single-action.

This is accomplished by use of a reciprocating slide on the upper part of the frame, the motion of which is used to rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer in much the same way as is used in the majority of semi-automatic pistol designs.
The period between 1880 and 1910 saw a vast array of "experimental" designs for both semi-automatic and full automatic weapons, many weird, and some made it to the real world in quantity. Earlier attempts existed but were rare and most often failures and one-of-a-kinds.

Depending on the story and the time period, the author might have done his homework properly...or just been careless in his phrasing. Hard to tell.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #40
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Putting together an elderly ebook for the Library recently, I came across reference to a mysterious handgun type, to wit, an "automatic revolver".

Movie makers often don't know either. I recall years ago watching a US Civil War western where the guys were all toting Colt Peacemakers, which were introduced in 1873. And a world war 2 movie set in North Africa, in which the officer's staff car was a 1949 Ford. With whitewall tyres.
One sees a lot of revolvers with silencers, Civil War era westerns with Winchester 1873's and Patton tanks in WW II movies. Accuracy wasn't one of the goals in B-grade flicks.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Next time you watch Sergeant York (1941 Howard Hawk movie starring Gary Cooper) watch the scene he empties his rifle and does not have time to reload.He pulls out his pistol and kills the German Soldiers charging him. The pistol in Gary Coopers hand is a German Luger P-08. Alvin York carried a Colt M1911 during WWI. Also Gary Cooper is shooting a Springfield 1903 during battle. Alvin York was actually issued a US version of the British Lee Enfield rifle.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Next time you watch Sergeant York (1941 Howard Hawk movie starring Gary Cooper) watch the scene he empties his rifle and does not have time to reload.He pulls out his pistol and kills the German Soldiers charging him. The pistol in Gary Coopers hand is a German Luger P-08. Alvin York carried a Colt M1911 during WWI. Also Gary Cooper is shooting a Springfield 1903 during battle. Alvin York was actually issued a US version of the British Lee Enfield rifle.
Apache
I watched Sargent York a couple of months ago. I noticed the Luger rather than the 1911. I figured that maybe he had picked one up from a prisoner. In general, I thought that non officers generally didn't carry hand guns.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #43
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
He did carry a 1911. He emptied his rifle and, if I remember correctly, 6 Germans charged him thinking they could overrun him before he reloaded. He popped up with his 1911 and fired 8 times killing all 6. He was also a Corporal at the time, but he was called Sergeant more than once, while clearly wearing Corporal insignia.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #44
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I have to say, amateurish spelling and grammar errors and finding out that the author is a major jerk. Both happened to me regarding a certain well-known indie author recently.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #45
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Automatic revolver.

Could have been a Webley-Fosbury then, introduced 1901. The time period fits. I have heard the name Webley-Fosbury as a pistol before, but in the book it was un-named. Obviously the extra complication and weight wasn't worth the advantage offered by automatic cocking and revolving of the cylinder, because they never made the mainstream.

Author 1, me 0.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote