Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #61
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Is it a hardware problem then? And is the device hardware faulty too? If so I would like to know so I'd be able to sell it then as long as the thing is in high demand. I love the real estate, but I'd like the reader even better, if it were up to par with all the others.
I don't think the sleep issues are a hardware problem with the device. I think there is a design flaw in how the Kobo cover interacts with the device. With that cover, the sensor should have been in the top left corner. Or maybe it is in the materials used for the cover. As the Aura ONE uses capacitive touch, the cover needs to be made of something that doesn't trigger that and blocks detection of a finger pressing on the outside of the cover.

If I'm right, then fixing it in the software is problematic. How do you know the touch is caused by closing the cover rather than someone touching the screen? About the only thing I can think of is to somehow ignore the touches that happened in the last second or so before the sleep sensor is triggered. But you can't actually ignore them as that means not acting on them until the sensor is triggered which means a delay for every tap. So, maybe you have to undo the last couple of taps. But, what if the last was a delete? Of the tap that finished a book?

So, problematic. Possibly impossible to get a good solution.
Quote:
And you really made my day, being the first guy I ever heard acknowledging something women have know forever
Uh-oh, I think I've just had my "guy" card revoked.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:14 AM   #62
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I still do see my battery life go down a reasonable amount quicker than it did in my H2O, but since I disabled auto sleep and just use the power button it's gotten a lot better.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2016, 04:51 AM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I still do see my battery life go down a reasonable amount quicker than it did in my H2O, but since I disabled auto sleep and just use the power button it's gotten a lot better.
How much faster? The Aura ONE has a smaller battery than the Aura H2O. And Kobo specs state half the battery life. The specs effectively state 15 hours and 30 hours reading time respectively.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #64
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I am having better luck with the sleep cover if I bend it back slightly as I'm closing it, so that it touches the left side of the screen first. As for battery life, I've got all the automatic lighting stuff turned off, but I am still disappointed in how fast the battery drains. A little less than half of my H20's battery life, which is to be expected, but still...I wonder how much the H20's battery weighs vs the Aura One's battery? For me, I would rather have a heftier battery, even if it weights slightly more.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #65
schooncw
schooncw began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am going to wait!!

I was at an Indigo store in Toronto last weekend and the person that I spoke to said that I should wait, as they were still seeing problems. They did have stock in that store. Also, they did not have the cover that has been having issues.
schooncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2016, 12:46 AM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I am having better luck with the sleep cover if I bend it back slightly as I'm closing it, so that it touches the left side of the screen first. As for battery life, I've got all the automatic lighting stuff turned off, but I am still disappointed in how fast the battery drains. A little less than half of my H20's battery life, which is to be expected, but still...I wonder how much the H20's battery weighs vs the Aura One's battery? For me, I would rather have a heftier battery, even if it weights slightly more.
Given that the Aura One's battery life is listed as being 1 month vs. the H2O's battery life which is listed as being 2 months, both with 30 minutes per day reading, your result is pretty much in the to be expected area. I suspect a fair chunk of the weight reduction for the Aura One was in the battery they used.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:18 AM   #67
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I have been using my KA1 without a sleep cover since I have had it. I am using an ipad mini cover which has the camera hole exactly where the button for the KA1 is, so that-s how I put my KA1 to sleep. I have had no problem at all with the battery. I am not 100% satisfied about the display, as it has some shading, but it does not bother me when I am reading so I kept it. I find it also a bit slow to turn pages, but it is more than bearable. And since the battery has given me no problem whatsoever, I am happy with the device.

It is now for sale on amazon in some European countries.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #68
erikssenmar867
Connoisseur
erikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I have been using my KA1 without a sleep cover since I have had it. I am using an ipad mini cover which has the camera hole exactly where the button for the KA1 is, so that-s how I put my KA1 to sleep. I have had no problem at all with the battery. I am not 100% satisfied about the display, as it has some shading, but it does not bother me when I am reading so I kept it. I find it also a bit slow to turn pages, but it is more than bearable. And since the battery has given me no problem whatsoever, I am happy with the device.

Hi, could you report your hours and days of your battery experience?
My one was bad: It lasted me 6-7 days reading 1/2 -1 hour per day
erikssenmar867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #69
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

erikssenmar867, when I was having trouble with the sleep cover (and had automatic lighting turned on), my battery would drop 5-7% overnight while the device was sleeping. Now I have automatic lighting turned off and I've figured out how to close the sleep cover so that the device goes to sleep reliably, my battery drops no more than 1% overnight. I don't really keep track of how long I read each day, but I was losing approximately 10% per day while reading.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #70
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Just to confirm what icallaci is saying: The way to close the sleep cover is to let the left side touch first? I haven't been doing this, and always check to see if I can see the screen lit after I've closed the cover (looking along the edge). But last night I missed the fact that the screen stayed lit after I closed the cover, so I got up this morning to find the battery down to 12 percent (from 96 percent earlier). I know I can avoid all this by turning off the auto function re the cover, but if there is a way to make the cover work reliably, I'll try it.

Does anyone know if Kobo intends to replace what seems to be a faulty cover design? These were fairly expensive covers, which I don't begrudge as long as they work.
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #71
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
erikssenmar867, when I was having trouble with the sleep cover (and had automatic lighting turned on), my battery would drop 5-7% overnight while the device was sleeping. Now I have automatic lighting turned off and I've figured out how to close the sleep cover so that the device goes to sleep reliably, my battery drops no more than 1% overnight. I don't really keep track of how long I read each day, but I was losing approximately 10% per day while reading.
Yes, that is my experience too. I read between 1 to 2 hours every day, and the battery lasts me around 10 days. More than a week, that's for sure.

Edit: Scratch that, I just checked where I am, and when I last charged it.. Battery is at 86% and I charged it Wednesday night. I read 2 hours on it thursday, again about 2 hours yesterday, and have not yet used it today. So actually, it lasts me more than 10 days. I just don't wait until it's dead, I always charge it as soon as it gets between 15 and 10% after my night reading session.

But as I said, I do not use any sleep cover at all. I do it all manually.

Last edited by aceflor; 11-19-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #72
icallaci
Guru

Closing the sleep cover so that the left side touches first works very reliably for me. I still check to see if the light is on, though. But I'm a little less paranoid now.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:29 AM   #73
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikssenmar867 View Post
Hi, could you report your hours and days of your battery experience?
My one was bad: It lasted me 6-7 days reading 1/2 -1 hour per day
Mine uses an average of 6% per reading hour since the firmware update, with lights on 50% during the day and 1% at night in the dark. I have autosync, wifi and autolight disabled, only use the auto-redlight.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #74
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post

Same here!!! I had/have it in a mutilated iPad mini cover and use the button.

I don't feel the slowness but everytime i touch some icon the one to the right of it responds. Drives me batty

Kobo really got me there, selling a right winged device to a liberal.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #75
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Mine uses an average of 6% per reading hour since the firmware update, with lights on 50% during the day and 1% at night in the dark. I have autosync, wifi and autolight disabled, only use the auto-redlight.
Oh right, I forgot lights. Mine is with auto sync, autolight and wifi disabled, and my lighting setting is 5% brightness whether day or night and natural light at around 65% .

Tags
aura one