Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #46
smoothy
smoothy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
No, I don't have any other mods installed.
I scanned the target micro sd card with Paragon Partition Manager and there's just one blank FAT32 Partition on it. Neither files nor filesystems.
Honestly I don't know how it has to be formated or partitioned.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #47
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm not familiar with Paragon Partition Manager, does it show whether it's msdos partitions or gpt/efi partitions? The latter might cause problems [GPT has a copy at the end of the medium, which wouldn't be overwritten by this mod]; most SD cards just come with msdos partitions, I haven't been able to test the GPT case yet.

If the mod worked properly it would have 3 partitions. This is the first step done by the mod after putting the new card in, if that already failed it might not have detected the card properly or there might be a compatibility issue with the card... do you have any other cards to try with? (trying with a small [1GB+] card is fine too, just to see if it doesn't work in general for you or just not with this particular card)

The screen did go black before you removed the original card, and white before putting in the new one?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2016, 06:25 AM   #48
smoothy
smoothy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I solved the problem now.
It was the microSD card's fault. I tested the writing speed and it was incredibly low (0,12 MB/s). So I bought an other card from Lexar and it actually worked!

Thank you for your response!
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #49
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It was the microSD card's fault. I tested the writing speed and it was incredibly low (0,12 MB/s).
Wow, that's strange. Isn't this card rated for 10MB/s write or above?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #50
rgm
Enthusiast
rgm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
just backup original fw - how?

Hi,

I would make a backup of original fw on my H2O without opening.

I have SSH login and also an empty 4GB micro SD.
Can someone suggests What to do?

Best Regards,
Robert
rgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #51
frostschutz
Linux User

The external alternative of this MagicMemoryUpgradeMod would do so for you. You can download it in the first post.

On a shell you might do something like:

Code:
# insert ext. card
killall nickel sickel pickel fickel
umount /mnt/onboard /mnt/sd
mount -o remount,ro /
dd bs=1M if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk1
sync
# eject ext. sd card
reboot
On devices without external SD card you could also grab an image of /dev/mmcblk0 over the wire.

Using my WebPortal / FileManager mod you could also download an image of /dev/mmcblk0 through your PC's webbrowser.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #52
rgm
Enthusiast

backup fw

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
On a shell you might do something like:

Code:
# insert ext. card
killall nickel sickel pickel fickel
umount /mnt/onboard /mnt/sd
Hi Frostschutz,

Many thanks for fast response! and help me!

Code:
[root@(none) ~]# killall nickel sickel pickel fickel
killall: pickel: no process killed
[root@(none) ~]# umount /mnt/onboard /mnt/sd
umount: can't umount /mnt/onboard: Device or resource busy
Unfortunately onboard is busy.

this is my mount:
Code:
[root@(none) ~]# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
none on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=16384k)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
none on /var/lib type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=16k)
none on /var/log type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=16k)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=128k)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p3 on /mnt/onboard type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
And my blkid is:
Code:
[root@(none) ~]# blkid 
/dev/mmcblk1p1: LABEL="DG800" UUID="3600-1EFC"
/dev/mmcblk0p1: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="32eca9c7-bb88-44c9-99ee-774e3b27a7b2"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="recoveryfs" UUID="7ffa7983-cb2a-4139-82a0-0fd1f91db09b"
/dev/mmcblk0p3: LABEL="KOBOeReader" UUID="4FB9-58CF"
"DG800" is my uSD card label.

should I kill something else or what is the problem?

Best Regards,
Robert

Last edited by rgm; 08-21-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #53
frostschutz
Linux User

If you have an open book you might also kill adobehost.

Something like this might list other pid with open files on /mnt/onboard:

Code:
ls -l /proc/*/fd/* | grep onboard
Quote:
"DG800" is my uSD card label.
Note the dd command I posted above will overwrite that card entirely, destorying whatever is on it so it won't have that label anymore afterwards either. If you want the backup as a file instead of a directly usable backup card, it's different.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #54
rgm
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you have an open book you might also kill adobehost.

Something like this might list other pid with open files on /mnt/onboard:

Code:
ls -l /proc/*/fd/* | grep onboard

Note the dd command I posted above will overwrite that card entirely, destorying whatever is on it so it won't have that label anymore afterwards either. If you want the backup as a file instead of a directly usable backup card, it's different.

Thanks again.

After restart there was no runing process to stop umount so started dd.
I assume it takes few minutes to finish...

I realised, dd of with device only (without parition and filename) will wipe my sd completly

Thanks again I hope I will able to manage backup from here. (dd is bee running now...)

I will check your WebPortal / FileManager mod. to see what is it...
Old 08-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #55
rgm
Enthusiast

Just a short feedback:

FW backup succeded!
Thank you very much!

I was able to mount Backup SD card on my PC:

Code:
/dev/sdd1 on /media/b/rootfs type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdd2 on /media/b/recoveryfs type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdd3 on /media/b/KOBOeReader type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks2)
Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Robert
Old 11-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #56
p1r473
p1r473 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Will this work with the Aura One?
Anyone tested it / successfully able to open it up?
p1r473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #57
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While you might be able to take a backup, it's useless.... There is no way to restore it to the Aura One.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #58
frostschutz
Linux User

Aura One does not have any internal SD card so...

It would be different if Kobo started dishing out larger storage chips (happened with some Kobo Touch? Glo? where it was 4G instead of 2G inside) without telling anyone so you could just resize the partition. But that's very unlikely to happen again.

Last edited by frostschutz; 11-06-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #59
dragon788
dragon788 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glod HD
Thanks for this awesome and smooth upgrade option. I was able to use this to swap to a 128GB Samsung EVO Select in a surprisingly short period of time.

One thing I did notice is that after it rebooted (before swapping the microSD) it prompted me for my PIN, but I only got a single character in before it started a progress bar, and I was able to perform the rest of the steps without incident and it booted after just fine.
dragon788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:38 AM   #60
ICDeadPpl
Enthusiast
ICDeadPpl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question Missing video

Quote:
I made a short video so you can see what to expect :: [deleted vidme link]
The video seems to have been deleted at that address.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-25-2021 at 08:32 AM.
ICDeadPpl is offline   Reply With Quote