Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Good morning
Just discovered that the Swipe Down facility to show the last three books being read doesn't work as I had hoped.
I side loaded three new books via Calibre and my Libra 2 used those to repopulate the list.
It removed from the list the books I have actually been reading and replaced them with the last three books added to the device. Not too useful really.
It's the eBook being displayed as well as the next three most recent. So yes, it's working as designed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:44 AM   #167
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoQu View Post
When our Kobo readers will have the support to READIUM LCP protection ?
Public libraries are adopting it, I will keep being able to read my borrowed ebooks on my ereader...
What library system is using Readium LCP DRM?

Overdrive is not.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #168
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Done that.
Went back to book I'm reading, swiped down and no change.
Still shows the last three books I added.
Sorry,, the reading comprehension fail was on my part.. I misunderstood your comment.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:09 PM   #169
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I updated both my Kobos and read an hour or so on my Sage yesterday. The buttons were acting up again, getting stuck 2-3 times during that hour. Grrr...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:52 PM   #170
Aleron Ives
Addict
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Overdrive is not.
CloudLibrary isn't, either.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:22 PM   #171
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Seems to be most popular in Europe.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:45 AM   #172
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xyclonei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
It's the eBook being displayed as well as the next three most recent. So yes, it's working as designed.
I noticed today that it's not just books, but recently added pocket articles turn up as well.
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:37 AM   #173
EnricoQu
EnricoQu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma 8
Quote:

Overdrive is not.
For example, MLOL (Media Library On Line) started supporting Readium LCP DRM in last 2021 ...
It is a libraries network, lending ebooks using before Adobe DRM and now Readium LCP DRM.
EnricoQu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:13 AM   #174
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I like this last update very much. "Recently Opened" fits very nicely into my reading habits as I usually read 3-4 books together.

New font is beautiful and well designed, but that is expected since it is from Dalton Maag, one of the best foundries there is. Kerning is working nicely on my Libra and I can understand their choice of not having some of the ligatures. ACCESS doesn't render ligatures, so it makes much more sense to design a typeface that pairs glyphs nicely without ligatures. f and i, for example, look pretty next to each other. In some typefaces f would get rendered over i without ligatures. I think having ligatures just for the RMDSK would hurt uniformity, I believe not having all the ligatures is a better choice here.

Rakuten Serif was a little thin on my Libra, but that is an easy fix with Kobo. I almost always used Malabar and to a lesser extend the type in my signature. I will add Rakuten Serif to my type rotation.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:41 PM   #175
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I like this last update very much. "Recently Opened" fits very nicely into my reading habits as I usually read 3-4 books together.

New font is beautiful and well designed, but that is expected since it is from Dalton Maag, one of the best foundries there is. Kerning is working nicely on my Libra and I can understand their choice of not having some of the ligatures. ACCESS doesn't render ligatures, so it makes much more sense to design a typeface that pairs glyphs nicely without ligatures. f and i, for example, look pretty next to each other. In some typefaces f would get rendered over i without ligatures. I think having ligatures just for the RMDSK would hurt uniformity, I believe not having all the ligatures is a better choice here.

Rakuten Serif was a little thin on my Libra, but that is an easy fix with Kobo. I almost always used Malabar and to a lesser extend the type in my signature. I will add Rakuten Serif to my type rotation.
Rakuten Serif is lousy because it's broken. The kerning is broken. The regular version is the one that's broken. But as it;'s the one you use most, the entire font family is useless.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:08 PM   #176
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Rakuten Serif is lousy because it's broken. The kerning is broken. The regular version is the one that's broken. But as it;'s the one you use most, the entire font family is useless.
Well, I personally couldn't care less about kerning or ligatures. Rakuten Serif is a pretty font and I liked it, but not so much that I'd use it regularly instead of LexiaDama. Kerning... ligatures... yawn. In fact, I've disabled them on my Sage altogether, because they mess up word spacing. (On the Libra I usually read epubs).

I get that kerning et al are important to many people. Just not to everyone.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:47 PM   #177
Aleron Ives
Addict
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The only ways to turn kerning and ligatures on/off are by patching the firmware and editing the book's CSS files, right?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:55 PM   #178
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The only ways to turn kerning and ligatures on/off are by patching the firmware and editing the book's CSS files, right?
No, neither of those are necessary. You edit the configuration file of your Kobo (Kobo eReader.conf), the Reading section. Adding the line webkitTextRendering=optimizelegibility turns them on, webkitTextRendering=optimizespeed turns them off.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:23 AM   #179
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, neither of those are necessary. You edit the configuration file of your Kobo (Kobo eReader.conf), the Reading section. Adding the line webkitTextRendering=optimizelegibility turns them on, webkitTextRendering=optimizespeed turns them off.
As far as I recall, those two settings would only affect kepub ebooks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:25 AM   #180
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As far as I recall, those two settings would only affect kepub ebooks.
Yes, that's true. But word spacing is not an issue with epubs, only with kepubs.

Tags
firmware, firmware release