Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I miss physical buttons

The first e-reader I got was the Kindle Keyboard. I used that thing more than for just reading books. I installed some games on it. I installed recipes on it and used it in the kitchen while I was cooking.

The screen broke on the Kindle Keyboard and I ended buying a Paperwhite. And I quickly left it in the bedroom to read books in bed and it no longer acted as a reference device for me that I took everywhere and looked stuff up on.

And this last week I figured why.

It was the physical buttons. Having physical page turn buttons,, an actual keyboard to type on, and physical navigation buttons is just a superior experience for me, over using a touch screen.

I would love to buy an ereader with a keyboard, nav controls and page turn buttons. Does something like that even exist any more?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There are plenty of ereaders with physical page-turn buttons, but a physical keyboard? Don't think so.

For me, page-turn buttons are a must, but I wouldn't want a keyboard. Makes the device too bulky and heavy.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

The Kobo and the Amazon devices require an asymmetrical bezel to get page turn buttons. Other ereaders have the page turn buttons on the bottom. The nook has page turn buttons on the sides, but still have a 6" screen.

I would love a new Kindle Keyboard, with a 7" 300 ppi screen. I'm sure I'm in the minority here.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
The Kobo and the Amazon devices require an asymmetrical bezel to get page turn buttons. Other ereaders have the page turn buttons on the bottom. The nook has page turn buttons on the sides, but still have a 6" screen.

I would love a new Kindle Keyboard, with a 7" 300 ppi screen. I'm sure I'm in the minority here.
Perhaps an used Nook Glowlight Plus from 2019? It had a 7.8'' screen and buttons on both sides.

I sold mine a while ago, though. Too heavy and I couldn't stand the Nook software. Plus I prefer the asymmetrical shape.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Perhaps an used Nook Glowlight Plus from 2019? It had a 7.8'' screen and buttons on both sides.

I sold mine a while ago, though. Too heavy and I couldn't stand the Nook software. Plus I prefer the asymmetrical shape.
That's worth looking at.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I love buttons. I have the Oasis, and I got it just for the page turn button. But that won't help with recipes.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:33 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I love buttons. I have the Oasis, and I got it just for the page turn button. But that won't help with recipes.
It was great to just grab the device and use physical buttons to navigate to a book and do a search with a physical keyboard was pretty cool. It made for a great experience.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #8
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't think you can even get smartphones with physical keyboards anymore. The keyboard probably just adds extra cost, and since most people are satisfied with a touch screen, it isn't cost effective to keep making models with keyboards. The BlackBerry days are behind us...
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:53 PM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist

I was never a fan of the Blackberry software. But I did really like the keyboard.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
As far as having a keyboard is concerned, I'd like to be able to connect a bluetooth keyboard and use that for typing (as well as navigating the interface, with useful keyboard shortcuts, etc).

As it is, there's a lot of 'friction' to create lengthy annotations, and one really has to do this with some other device.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #11
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've wished my Kobo would support a wireless keyboard that way, too.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:33 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If you bought an epub ereader, like the Libra 2, you could create a cookbook in Word, import the document into Calibre and convert to epub, then send to your Libra.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:22 PM   #13
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Pretty sure you can install a text file editor on kobo.

Also an Onyx allows you to install apps and a text editor for recipes etc. I'm not sure if there is one with buttons. Probably.

The more recent Nooks, at least the 6", I've found to be very flaky.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 09-18-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:34 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I wouldn't want a keyboard, but I do miss the mage turn buttons. I still use my Nook ST because of the buttons.

Nook's software doesn't match Kobo, but I still would have happily picked up a Glowlight 4 if Nook didn't get cute with storage.

I keep looking at the Libra 2 even though I prefer a 6" screen to the larger one the Libra sports.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:18 PM   #15
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wouldn't want a keyboard, but I do miss the mage turn buttons. I still use my Nook ST because of the buttons.

Nook's software doesn't match Kobo, but I still would have happily picked up a Glowlight 4 if Nook didn't get cute with storage.

I keep looking at the Libra 2 even though I prefer a 6" screen to the larger one the Libra sports.
What's up with the Glowlight's storage.