Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does TSA make you remove your 9"+ tablet from your luggage?
Yes, TSA makes me remove my tablet for inspection (most of the time) 3 9.09%
No, TSA doesn't make me remove my tablet for inspection (most of the time) 30 90.91%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have flown a lot with my DXG and have never had to take it out of my bag. My Mom travels with her DXG and has not had to remove it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #32
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
It depends on how it looks on the monitor. If it is in a bag with a bunch of stuff, so they can't get a clear look, then it has to come out.

There are bags now that allow the laptop to be layed flat without overlapping the rest of the bag. No removal required.

You can go to the TSA site for the current rules, but any agent can rescreen (removed from your bag) anything they feel need to rescan.

International, it varies. Charles d Gaulle seems to want ALL electronic devices removed, including cables.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #33
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I need to change my vote. When I last flew from Spain to the UK Alicante to Manchester neither end asked me to scan my iPad separately that was in November 2011. Just done (this January weekend)Alicante to Gatwick and both ends wanted iPad and my wifes' PRS-350 scanned separately. Seems as though the rules may have changed both here in Spain and the UK
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #34
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Listen, when your friends told you that the TSA were going to touch your junk, they didn't mean your tablet they were talking about uh.... *cough*

They're going to touch your no no places not your ipad.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #35
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
It might have to do with recognizing the device. They asked a person that went after me to open the laptop and they said that it's because the battery had a different size (shape?) than most laptops.

I went once with only my tablet and I got this:
"Do you have a laptop?"
"Only a tablet"
"Take it out"
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
NormanLindsey
NormanLindsey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
LOL!

I've been through TSA at Seattle, Denver, Anaheim, Atlanta, and New Orleans in the last year and a half with an iPad (and usually a Kindle). Both are sleeved. I actually do pull them from the bag, but not from their sleeves, and bin them in the same bin as my shoes or liquids. Since they have their own spot in my tote bag, it's a pretty fast routine to yank them out & put them back. Never been asked/told to do anything different, and neither has ever been pulled from their sleeves.

Could be luck. Could be they assume I wouldn't pull them out of they were "tainted" in some fashion. Could be they're more interested in my
discount lingerie. Whatever. It's been pretty hassle free and I have the whole routine down at this point.
I am using lots of bins while traveling. It makes me comfortable and keep things in order.

Last edited by NormanLindsey; 05-01-2013 at 12:33 AM.
NormanLindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #37
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I have to do the "TSA" dance (or the equivalent international agency) 3-4 times a week...a hazard of the job.

It really does vary from agent to agent, there is almost no standardization whatsoever. I've even had the same agent tell me different things on different days! BTW Amsterdam is one of the worst for getting in to your business...they asked to see my frequent flyer card as a means of identification...apparently my passport, flight crew ID, and drivers license weren't enough!!

I don't think the size matters, just how uptight the agent feels on that day...

Anyway, I have my iPad and my surface in individual nylon sleeves - no cables in the sleeve. I just automatically take them both out and put them side by side in the same bin, but they stay in the sleeve. I have never been asked to remove the sleeves, so it ends up going fairly quickly and my devices stay protected.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I have to do the "TSA" dance (or the equivalent international agency) 3-4 times a week...a hazard of the job.

It really does vary from agent to agent, there is almost no standardization whatsoever. I've even had the same agent tell me different things on different days! BTW Amsterdam is one of the worst for getting in to your business...they asked to see my frequent flyer card as a means of identification...apparently my passport, flight crew ID, and drivers license weren't enough!!

I don't think the size matters, just how uptight the agent feels on that day...

Anyway, I have my iPad and my surface in individual nylon sleeves - no cables in the sleeve. I just automatically take them both out and put them side by side in the same bin, but they stay in the sleeve. I have never been asked to remove the sleeves, so it ends up going fairly quickly and my devices stay protected.
I've flown with my Reader, iPad, and iPhone and I have never taken them out of my bag. I've never been asked to take them out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #39
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've flown with my Reader, iPad, and iPhone and I have never taken them out of my bag. I've never been asked to take them out.
My ipad is my ereader, and my iphone just goes from my belt to the bin automatically. I have been through many lines where they specifically tell you that ipads need to be taken out...but many lines don't say anything...as I said, it varies from agent to agent and day to day!
Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #40
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a man with a beard, I always get pulled over for searches. Just a part of life these days, unfortunately.
Ditto.

And as a man with a sense of humor, I have to work real hard at not making it worse!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Ditto.

And as a man with a sense of humor, I have to work real hard at not making it worse!
So true!! lol

Part of my job is to be certified/trained to be a security inspector...so I know what they are supposed to do, and when you see them screwing it up, you really want to say something about it...but if you do, then you get yelled at by your company for "making waves". It is really frustrating!

OK...back to my zen breathing.....

Tags
ipad, tablet, travel, tsa