Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2006, 05:35 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, we've already been through this . Unfortunately a "dumb" USB charger will not charge the Reader. It won't even charge on a PC's USB port unless the PC has the "Connect" software installed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #17
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Just use the car adapter for the Sony PSP. About 25 or so if you shop around.

Instead of 6 hours to charge will charge in 4.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #18
ncinpa
ncinpa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/PRC-500
I purchased the PSP car adapter and used it for the first time on a long driving trip over the Christmas holidays. It seemed to work fine. I tested both it (the PSP car adapter) and the AC power supply that came with the Reader and both put out the same voltage (about 5.3 VDC.) The way I got the connection from inside the plug was to wrap a length of solder wire around the end of one multimeter lead and this "extension" could touch inside the plug. Then I could just touch the other lead to the outside of the plug.
ncinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:08 PM   #19
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
The DC in jack on the PSP is the same as the one on the Reader (you can use a normal PSP power supply to charge the Reader just fine) -- if you're charging your PSP in the car, the same supply should charge the Reader too....
So if the Reader and the PSP can use the same charger, I should be able to just buy a PSP tip for my iGo (www.igo.com) charger. They don't list the Reader on there list.

Don't have a Reader yet, but will probably by the new year
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd expect it would work just fine. As for the Reader not being on their list, well that's not too surprising with a relatively new piece of hardware.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:26 PM   #21
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Just verified when I could not find the main charger. Used the car PSP adapter. Got it unstuck so to speak. and did check. The little red led did light!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #22
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinpa
Not surprisingly, this is the response I received from Sony:

"We're sorry, but connecting the AC recharger that comes with the Sony Reader into a DC to AC converter that plugs into a cigarette lighter may damage the AC charger and the reader itself. We do not recommend it.
Wishing you a Happy Holiday Season!"

Sony isn't going to recommend anything that isn't 100% fool proof. But I think I'll just pass on trying to recharge the Reader in the car until additional information is received.
I use an inverter all the time to recharge camera batteries on vacations. None of the companies recommend them, but it has never caused me problems.

No one wants to take responsibility "just in case" something goes wrong, and I'm no different, but here's what I understand, being an electrical engineer.

AC out of the wall has a nicely curved waveform. AC out of an inverter has a mostly square waveform (slightly curved sides, flat top). Square vs. curved can have the same peak voltage, or the same RMS voltage (RMS is sort of like a math-guy's average), but not both. A square wave with the same RMS voltage as a curved one will have a lower peak voltage - and since RMS voltage is what's important for power calculations, I'm thinking inverters would shoot for the same RMS voltage. So it doesn't seem like you'd fry your equipment due to a higher peak voltage, since it's likely lower.

Ironically, your charger is basically the opposite of your inverter... it takes the high AC voltage, steps it down, and "rectifies" it - ie, converts it to DC. Same as all those camera battery chargers (3 different cameras in the family, groan) I've run on my inverter for hours at a time for the last couple of years on road trips.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote