Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
lburg801
Enthusiast
lburg801 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Backing up Calibre libraries - help please.

A search for how to backup files on this site or in Calibre "Help" leaves one in limbo. It seems like such a basic and necessary step that should be included in the initial steps for using Calibre, but I'm stumped.

When I click the Calibre icon/library maintenance/library metadata backup status, there is an option to queue all books for backup. I thought this was the start of the backup process but it doesn't do anything beyond that.

Since I did not discover a backup process through Calibre, I have copied my libraries to an external hard drive but am wondering how to avoid a complete backup each time and only backup items that have changed or are new.

Can someone recommend simple software that would do this?

Thank you!
lburg801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre libraries are just files and folders. Back them up however you backup all your other files.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre libraries are just files and folders. Back them up however you backup all your other files.

I would recommend using a file synchronisation utility, here is a list ==>> Comparison of file synchronization software

After the initial backup these utilities will maintain a mirror of your data by copying the changes (add, replace, delete). I use GoodSync, I've also seen mention of Free File Sync, rsync, and MS SyncToy by calibre users.

Include the calibre configuration data folder in the backup, which you can find via Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-15-2018 at 02:22 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i just 7zip and archive mine and upload to a cloud
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
One nice trick is to start calibre from a script/batch file and have the script run a sync/snapshot/backup automatically when calibre is closed.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I use robocopy. It's a command-line tool built-in to Windows Vista and newer.

Code:
robocopy "C:\path\to\calibre\library" "D:\path\to\backup\library" /mir /log:"calibre-backup.log"
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
lburg801
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
So ultimately I did the right thing.

It would be helpful if a search in Help for backup or backup libraries led directly to this information. Same with searching this forum ,,, maybe a sticky.

Thank you ... for Caliber!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
lburg801
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

I would recommend using a file synchronisation utility, here is a list ==>> Comparison of file synchronization software

After the initial backup these utilities will maintain a mirror of your data by copying the changes (add, replace, delete). I use GoodSync, I've also seen mention of Free File Sync, rsync, and MS SyncToy by calibre users.

Include the calibre configuration data folder in the backup, which you can find via Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open calibre configuration directory

BR
This is perfect. I'm using Free File Sync. Also appreciate the tip on the configuration data. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #9
lburg801
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
i just 7zip and archive mine and upload to a cloud
Good idea. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
lburg801
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I use robocopy. It's a command-line tool built-in to Windows Vista and newer.

Code:
robocopy "C:\path\to\calibre\library" "D:\path\to\backup\library" /mir /log:"calibre-backup.log"
I had no idea this existed. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
lburg801
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
One nice trick is to start calibre from a script/batch file and have the script run a sync/snapshot/backup automatically when calibre is closed.
This is beyond my knowledge, unfortunately. People like me need Free File Sync!
Old 08-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lburg801 View Post
This is perfect. I'm using Free File Sync. Also appreciate the tip on the configuration data. Thank you!
Good-oh

BTW from the calibre user manual ==>> How do I backup calibre?

BR
Old 08-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
lburg801
Enthusiast

Smile Thank for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Good-oh

BTW from the calibre user manual ==>> How do I backup calibre?

BR
No matter how I phrased the search in Help, it never gave me this!

In most software there is an index and when searched it generates a list where the item is included and the links take one directly to it.

This is what I kept getting:
"Frequently Asked Questions — calibre 3.30.0 documentation
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html
How do I backup calibre? How do I use purchased EPUB books with calibre (or what do I do with .acsm files)?; I am getting a “Permission Denied” error? Can I ...

The link opens a page about Ebook conversion. No matter how I phased the search for backing up Calibre, this is what I would get.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 08-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
you retrieve the book using Adobe Digital editions using the ascmfile. That is just your 'pickup at the window' ticket
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lburg801 View Post
No matter how I phrased the search in Help, it never gave me this!

In most software there is an index and when searched it generates a list where the item is included and the links take one directly to it.

This is what I kept getting:
"Frequently Asked Questions — calibre 3.30.0 documentation
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html
How do I backup calibre? How do I use purchased EPUB books with calibre (or what do I do with .acsm files)?; I am getting a “Permission Denied” error? Can I ...

The link opens a page about Ebook conversion. No matter how I phased the search for backing up Calibre, this is what I would get.

Thanks again for your help!
Yeah, searching the online calibre manual isn't the best thing since sliced bread. For me it always returns more hits in German than English. I think it's part of the Python ecosystem, hence outside of Kovid's control. But at least there is a manual, that gets updated in line with the releases.

tip 1: - for the online version use one word searches e.g. 'backup'
tip 2: - download a PDF, AZW3 or EPUB version and use the search in the appropriate reader. The links for those are on the first page of the manual.

BR