Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Question How do you add 'More by this author' to the end of the book?

Not sure if I'm in the right area but...

Is it possible to put a 'Customers who bought this book also bought' and 'More by this author' or 'Next in the series' lists into the last page at the end of book like Amazon and Apple do? I think it has something to do with adding a xml file to the book? This post refers to it but unsure whether it is possible to put something like it in books of our own.

I also note when you convert kindle books into epub these features disappear as well...Does conversion delete these features? Can you change something so this feature doesn't disappear?

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Inukami - AFAIK the "EA" files are an Amazon proprietary artefact, for which there is no equivalent in the ePub specification.

The only ways I can think of to get them into an ePUB are to copy text from the web page into the clipboard and paste it into a "back-matter" page via the editor; or write a plugin to do the same.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My guess is the APP, reads the sidecar file, which is not really part of the book.
I know that my K4NT presents this entirely different from the Kindle app on my TAB A or Kindle for PC.

I think BR has the best solution.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Inukami - AFAIK the "EA" files are an Amazon proprietary artefact, for which there is no equivalent in the ePub specification.

The only ways I can think of to get them into an ePUB are to copy text from the web page into the clipboard and paste it into a "back-matter" page via the editor; or write a plugin to do the same.

BR
Or just put links to the relevant web pages in a back-matter page, then you'll get the current Customers who . . .', More by . . . and Next in . . . information rather than a snapshot of what they were at a moment in time in the long distant past.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-03-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Or just put links to the relevant web pages in a back-matter page, then you'll get the current Customers who . . .', More by . . . and Next in . . . information rather than a snapshot of what they were at a moment in time in the long distant past.

BR
How do you make a back-matter page? And not sure if the links are available from the website as they aren't linked...

Inukami
Old 08-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Inakami - Using an EPUB editor, add an empty Epub XHTML file, put it at the end of the book, and then type or copy & paste what you want. I have no idea what links are available from different websites.

If it's just for yourself there's probably no need to semantically tag the file with "back-matter" - which is only available for EPub3 books.

When I wrote: "The only ways I can think of ... or write a plugin ... or put links", I hoped to infer I don't actually do this

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-05-2018 at 07:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
Inukami
Zealot

Ok. Thanks. I will give it a go. In particular when I start a new series I like to know what's next if I enjoyed that series and want to continue. Apple/iBooks actually does this really well and was wondering it if was possible to duplicate.

I will see what I can do...

Inukami

Tags
calibre, conversion, feature, xml