Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm but the error is about not being able to access the database file which has nothing to do with the registry (calibre doesn't store its setting in the registry).
ProcMon records/reports Registry AND File system accesses.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #62
Hantra
Enthusiast
Hantra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Is Calibre better than MobiPocket for converting PDF's with images?
Hantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #63
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantra View Post
Is Calibre better than MobiPocket for converting PDF's with images?
Not really, they both suffer from the same limitations.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #64
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'm a bit late to the party, but congrats on the 0.5.0 release Kovid.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #65
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StDo View Post
Have look here and here.
Thanks. I'm giving a hand
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #66
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah... well then it can't be a permissions issue.

(Although I can't see how you can hate UAC if you've never used it.

You might want to just try the simplest path you can. Create a folder on your c drive like calibredb and point to that folder. You will certainly have access to it and it will exist.

BOb
Regarding UAC .... what can I say except

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@RickyMaveety I'm out of ideas I'm afraid, sorry.
Me too, and I have the added impediment of being seriously drugged at the moment.

In a week or so, when I am not either in pain or whacked out of my gourd, I will give it a try again. Just not right now.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #67
RosanaE
RosanaE doesn't litterRosanaE doesn't litterRosanaE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 3G
Wonderful job!

Congratulations Kovid and everybody that helped and thank you SOOOOO much. I use calibre a lot. It has such a simple interface, it is fast and the constant updates make it a wonderful and unique tool for conversion. And now that I also have a Kindle2 in addition to the Sony reader, the recent mobi conversion was a wonderful addition. And by the way, I have also put my money where my mouth is and have donated. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

RosanaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #68
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
I have a Cybook Gen3 with a Mac and this software is fantastic! The "Fetch News" feature is incredibly useful and I'm looking forward to using it.

Is it normal for someone to keep 0 books in their "Library" section of Calibre and just move them over to their eReader and delete? That's what I'm doing but if I'm doing it wrong I'd like to know. Thanks for this great piece of software!
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #69
hadeze
hadeze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Technical PDF's

I am trying to use calibre to convert a PDF of a technical manual and am having trouble with some coding included in the PDF. Is there a way to get Calibre to do a conversion in landscape instead of port?
hadeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #70
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre's PDF conversion is meant for sime text based PDFs. For techinal PDFs look for a pdf rasterization program like PDFRead
Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #71
hadeze
hadeze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I tried that and am having some difficulty. I ran the program and set it up per the thread for Kindle 2 and for some reason the top portion is vertically correct but it does not fill out on the horizontal. The bottom of the page fills the horizontal but not the vertical. Any help would be great.
hadeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #72
jibo
jibo began at the beginning.

Device: none
great job,
is it me or the regular no subscription recipe is not showing up in the list ?
jibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #73
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibo View Post
great job,
is it me or the regular no subscription recipe is not showing up in the list ?
If you mean the NYT, it's you
Old 03-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #74
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
Is it normal for someone to keep 0 books in their "Library" section of Calibre and just move them over to their eReader and delete? That's what I'm doing but if I'm doing it wrong I'd like to know.
I would say that is not normal. I expect most users keep all their ebooks in their calibre library.

That said, I don't think there is any right or wrong way to use the software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 AM   #75
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Talking

Hi Kovid,
I'm still very new here, and to Calibre, but I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful application, and for making it available to everyone all over the world.
Thanks to all the helpful people here at MobileRead too.
Having not stumbled across this forum and Calibre, I doubt I would have taken the leap and bought a reader until international support had become available.
I'm so happy that I found you guys and hope to learn.... and learn some more ... and of course hopefully still have time to READ!

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-11-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: idiot
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.5.0, announcement, calibre, new release, news