Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
durkin
durkin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Question Using Calibre on Aspire one with Linux Lite..

Hi, I have a Sony 505 reader which I used through the Sony software on a Windows machine. Now having just shelved the old broken PC with Windows, I bought an Acer Aspire one with Linux Lite. As I can't put the Sony Softwear on it I want to use Calibre; And as I've read so much about Calibre that even if I could put the Sony stuff on I would opt for Calibre anyway.
I've tried to download Calibre for Linux from the Calibre website, but firstly can't find a download for Linux Lite, then I've tried the binary downloads and just get completly lost.... (I've done something with Terminal on the computer and now new files have turned up that I can't do now't with???)
I am new to anything Linux and know nothing about it, saying that, I'm prepared to have a go and learn.
Firstly, can the Acer Aspire one running with Linux Linpus Lite run calibre.
Secondly, if so, is there a specific download and installation instruction for it or can it share another Linux based download from the site e.g Ubuntu.
Thirdly can you help me..!! I want my ebook back......

Last edited by durkin; 01-06-2009 at 05:29 PM.
durkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Uh, I have Calibre installed on my Aspire One, but then again, I had Win installed on mine. Works really good, too, except for a few pop up windows being a bit too big. But, hey, I guess THAT doesn't help you a lot.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by durkin View Post
Hi, I have a Sony 505 reader which I used through the Sony software on a Windows machine. Now having just shelved the old broken PC with Windows, I bought an Acer Aspire one with Linux Lite. As I can't put the Sony Softwear on it I want to use Calibre; And as I've read so much about Calibre that even if I could put the Sony stuff on I would opt for Calibre anyway.
Did you buy books from the Sony store?

I think you should try the binary installer. http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_binary

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
jbicha
jbicha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I have an Aspire One. I suggest you put Fedora 10 or Ubuntu 8.10 on it (I actually did both and Vista & Win7 but it came with XP but I don't recommend you do all that). It is far more usable that way and installing calibre on either of those is fairly easy.

It is a much larger pain in my opinion to try to figure out how to install stuff in the Linpus thing than to install Ubuntu or Fedora.
jbicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
durkin

Cheers Bob thanks for the reply,
I don't want to sound daft, but like I said earlier I'm a complete novice with Linux. I down loaded the from the binary installer on the web site using the command line:

sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"

I now have some files downloaded on my computer, but can't find a way to install what I've got. Saying that, I don't know what I've got.
Where do I start?

Cheers,
Durk's.....
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I now have some files downloaded on my computer, but can't find a way to install what I've got. Saying that, I don't know what I've got.
Where do I start?

Cheers,
Durk's.....
Ok. someone that has run the binary installer will have to pipe in here. But, I'm guess that the command installed it. Can you not run calibre now?

BOb
Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
durkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
I have an Aspire One. I suggest you put Fedora 10 or Ubuntu 8.10 on it (I actually did both and Vista & Win7 but it came with XP but I don't recommend you do all that). It is far more usable that way and installing calibre on either of those is fairly easy.

It is a much larger pain in my opinion to try to figure out how to install stuff in the Linpus thing than to install Ubuntu or Fedora.
Hi Jbicha,
Thanks for getting back.
I've read a bit about putting Ubuntu on this machine and gone as far as downloading the Raw CD image
ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso from the Ubuntu website. But further investigation revealed that I would need to mount the file to disk or USB and then install from there? Is this right? As I haven't got a CD/DVD burner now that would quite limit me (I've only got this Aspire now) plus I would know how to do it yet. And like I said earlier I'm a complete novice with Linux.
Like you mentioned, what about Fedora 10? How do I install that? Is it the same as Unbuntu to install? Which would you recommend first?
Sorry to bother you with all the questions, but I'm starting to get interested in this stuff and would hate to go back to Windows now I've branched out.

Cheers,
Durk's......
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As I haven't got a CD/DVD burner now that would quite limit me (I've only got this Aspire now) plus I would know how to do it yet. And like I said earlier I'm a complete novice with Linux.

Durk's......
Do you have a DVD drive in the Aspire? If so, you can order a Free Ubuntu CD from the Ubuntu web site.

BOb
Old 01-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
durkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok. someone that has run the binary installer will have to pipe in here. But, I'm guess that the command installed it. Can you not run calibre now?

BOb
Hi Bob,
No I haven't got either a CD or DVD drive.
When I down loaded from the Binary installer I ended up with a cascade of folders with files inside, but nothing that I can open and run. No Icon has appeared to open and run a program on my desktop. And if I try to delete what I have now, I get a window that says I don't have permission to delete it!
Pretty stuck, but will persevere.....
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
Durk's...
Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi Bob,
No I haven't got either a CD or DVD drive.
When I down loaded from the Binary installer I ended up with a cascade of folders with files inside, but nothing that I can open and run. No Icon has appeared to open and run a program on my desktop. And if I try to delete what I have now, I get a window that says I don't have permission to delete it!
Pretty stuck, but will persevere.....
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
Durk's...
Umm... after you run the installer... can you open a terminal window and type

calibre

and press enter?

BOb
Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
durkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Umm... after you run the installer... can you open a terminal window and type

calibre

and press enter?

BOb
Yer I've done that, but just get this:-
[user@localhost home]$ Calibre
-bash: Calibre: command not found
[user@localhost home]$

don't know if this helps?

Cheers,
Durk's.....
Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
kougei
kougei began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
OK , I was intrigued so gave this a go.

Firstly, I'm pretty amateur at Linux, but I've learned a lot from www.aspireoneuser.com

Linpus Linux is based on Fedora Core 8, but the problem with some applications is they require different versions of different packages, and although Linux can often sniff out and auto-install dependencies on other packages, it can be a recipe for disaster.

The good news is I got calibre working, but it was roundabout and painful. Also, I haven't actually connected my Sony Reader, as it's not to-hand, but Calibre the application seems to be running fine.

Firstly you should enable the Linux desktop on your Aspire One:-
To do this go to Files > My Documents to open the File Manager. Then go to File > Terminal.

The Linpus Linus is using Xfce, so use
xfce-setting-show
to get the Xfce Settings Manager.

Click on Desktop to get to the Desktop Preferencs and choose the Behavior tab.

Now mark under Menus the Show desktop menu on right click option and close the window.

This setting will allow you to bring up the normal desktop menu when you right click somewhere on the desktop. The Desktop Menu contains much more options than the limited user interface on the Aspire One

Now you can right-click on the Linpus Desktop and get a Menu of settings and programs up

To Install Calibre, I went Option 1, then Option 2, you can try Option 2 first without 1, but I am wondering if Option 1 may be required, as it installed a lot of packages and dependencies, even though it didn't work

Option1 - Fedora Install

Enter Terminal from Desktop

Type : su -
(This should prompt for your root password)

You should then be able to paste the commands in as follows:-

yum install python-setuptools-devel python-imaging qt4 PyQt4 python-mechanize \ImageMagick xdg-utils dbus-python python-lxml python-beautifulsoup \help2man

easy_install -U calibre

calibre_postinstall

Just follow prompts, mostly 'Y'

Unfortunately, the final postinstall seemed to throw my Aspire into Sleep mode, and generate errors

Option2 - Binary Install

sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_linux_binary_installer').read(); main()"

It will ask you to specify an install directory, I just typed Calibre

This also sent my Aspire into Sleep, but on Wakeup the install appears to have run OK

To run Calibre just type Calibre at terminal

On first startup, it asked me to set a storage Directory, I created a 'My Books' folder under my User Folders, the the Calibre application fired up and looked Ok

Only need to add, Manage above steps at your own risk, it's quite risky to go poking around with something like Linux, other endeavours have trashed my Aspire Linpus beyond repair, forcing me to do a factory restore 2 times now.
kougei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Yer I've done that, but just get this:-
[user@localhost home]$ Calibre
-bash: Calibre: command not found
[user@localhost home]$

don't know if this helps?

Cheers,
Durk's.....
That should be calibre with a lowercase c
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
durkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kougei View Post
OK , I was intrigued so gave this a go.

Firstly, I'm pretty amateur at Linux, but I've learned a lot from www.aspireoneuser.com

Linpus Linux is based on Fedora Core 8, but the problem with some applications is they require different versions of different packages, and although Linux can often sniff out and auto-install dependencies on other packages, it can be a recipe for disaster.

The good news is I got calibre working, but it was roundabout and painful. Also, I haven't actually connected my Sony Reader, as it's not to-hand, but Calibre the application seems to be running fine.

Firstly you should enable the Linux desktop on your Aspire One:-
To do this go to Files > My Documents to open the File Manager. Then go to File > Terminal.

The Linpus Linus is using Xfce, so use
xfce-setting-show
to get the Xfce Settings Manager.

Click on Desktop to get to the Desktop Preferencs and choose the Behavior tab.

Now mark under Menus the Show desktop menu on right click option and close the window.

This setting will allow you to bring up the normal desktop menu when you right click somewhere on the desktop. The Desktop Menu contains much more options than the limited user interface on the Aspire One

Now you can right-click on the Linpus Desktop and get a Menu of settings and programs up

To Install Calibre, I went Option 1, then Option 2, you can try Option 2 first without 1, but I am wondering if Option 1 may be required, as it installed a lot of packages and dependencies, even though it didn't work

Option1 - Fedora Install

yum install python-setuptools-devel python-imaging qt4 PyQt4 python-mechanize \ImageMagick xdg-utils dbus-python python-lxml python-beautifulsoup \help2man

easy_install -U calibre

calibre_postinstall

Just follow prompts, mostly 'Y'

Unfortunately, the final postinstall seemed to throw my Aspire into Sleep mode, and generate errors

Option2 - Binary Install

It will ask you to specify an install directory, I just typed Calibre

This also sent my Aspire into Sleep, but on Wakeup the install appears to have run OK

To run Calibre just type Calibre at terminal

On first startup, it asked me to set a storage Directory, I created a 'My Books' folder under my User Folders, the the Calibre application fired up and looked Ok

Only need to add, Manage above steps at your own risk, it's quite risky to go poking around with something like Linux, other endeavours have trashed my Aspire Linpus beyond repair, forcing me to do a factory restore 2 times now.
Hi Kougei,
Thanks for looking into this for me. I haven't got time right now to do this, but will have ago tomorrow and report my progress. Will definitely look into www.aspireoneuser.com in the future.
Appreciate all the effort from everyone with this query.
Cheers,
Durk's...
Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
durkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That should be calibre with a lowercase c
Hi, kovidgoyal.
Yer tried and got the same:-
[user@localhost /]$ calibre
-bash: calibre: command not found
[user@localhost /]$

Will be trying kougei's fix (above) tomorrow.
Thanks for the info.

Cheers.
Durk's