Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
ThomWill
Enthusiast
ThomWill is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500 (Sony Reader)
The upside of Connect choices and prices

My frustration with the lack of technical content on Connect (my "real" reason for buying it ), and my wifes steadfast watch on the bank account mean that I am working my way through the "Books to Read Before You Die" lists on Manybooks.net.

Recently I reread
Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the dog)
and finally read Howard's End.
(and a whole lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs).

Any one else rediscovering any wonderful classics?
ThomWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm discovering classics I was alrready familiar with...

and some I wasn't, via Guttenberg and Manybooks.

Since I enjoy Victorian fiction, I downloaded all of Wilkie Collins's work, Charles Dickens, and Anthony Trollope. I already have these in extensive hardback sets, but one of the things that attracted me to the Reader is that I want to move away from my Collector stance.

I also downloaded a whole host of Talbot Mundy and Sax Rohmer, in addition to a number of odds and ends from Guttenberg.

These are not just musty classics that no one reads anymore, but repository of the world's great literature. Let's face it: why pay $2.97 for "Dracula," when you can get it free and format it with Word or use BookDesigner.

Both RTF and BookDesigner files look great on this Reader.

Oh, yes - almost forgot: if you love creepy horror fiction, try William Hope Hodgson. I absolutely love his work, and am currently re-reading "Night Land."

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
lumi
lumi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
That's a very good point - I'm naturally frugal (despite my purchase of the reader ) and so I've been grabbing all the legally free books I can. I've reread all the Sherlock Holmes books, finally got around to reading some of the much-recommended P. G. Wodehouse, re-read Jules Verne, Mark Twain, and now have ebook versions of my beloved Jane Austen. I got "The Mysteries of Udolpho" and "Vanity Fair" but haven't got around to reading them yet. I expect this will encourage me to give a chance (or second chance) to some of those authors I never really appreciated in school, like Dickens.

I find I've been reading a lot more lately - whether it's the novelty of my new gadget or just my usual natural cycling of hobbies I don't know - and there's really enough at manybooks to keep me happily entertained for years. Plus, I feel smarter when I read "the classics" I haven't bought anything at the connect store since I ran through the free $50, and only a small amount at fictionwise.
lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I've downloaded and formatted the Sherlock Holmes series from Gutenberg for the Reader.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I loved "How To Live On 24 Hours A Day" by Arnold Bennett -- a great read. Also in the less serious vien, the "Tom Swift" series by Victor Appleton is a lot of fun to read.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Glad somebody out there likes Wilkie Collins. Good as Dickens, but most people give me a blank stare when I mention him.

I also thought "Three Men In a Boat" was hilarious.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
susall
susall began at the beginning.

I read all the E. M. Forster I can find!
susall is offline   Reply With Quote