Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
BookArmor Delta 5

The M-Edge cover I bought is great, but in March I'm going to London for a couple of days and during travel I would like to protect me reader against pressure on the screen.

I've been looking at the BookArmor Delta 5 cover for this. Does anyone has this case and would like to share their experience? I'm most hesitant about the strips you have to stick on your reader. They look easily removeable, but are they thin enough so I can use my M-Edge cover with them still on?

Any other suggestions for a good protective cover are also welcome of course.

*Bianca
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
I have a BookArmor case but it is not the "Delta Model." The one I have has a plastic sleeve on the front and back inside cover that you slide your original Reader case in (for the 505 or the 700.) I can say that it is a very sturdy case, fits snugly so it is not significantly more bulky than the Reader itself. I feel that my Reader is pretty safe inside it.

I agree that I would not want to attach the strips to the back of my Reader. You might look into the original case if it is still available.
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 04:37 AM   #3
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They only other case they have for the 600 is the one with which you use the original Sony cover and I haven't got that one but a (bigger I think) M-Edge cover. Looking at the video it's easy to remove the strips (just like with those towel hooks you pull on one end to get it off). I emailed them asking about the thickness of the strips and they said they are thin and they didn't think it would be a problem having them on when using my M-Edge cover.

Because I can't seem to get any other sturdy cases (like the Caselogic one) I'll order the Bookarmor Delta tomorrow. As soon as I have it and tried it I'll post my opinions here.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I ordered the Delta 5 (Delta 6 is for 6" devices) last Monday and paid with Paypal. The first surprise was that they refunded $8 because shipping was cheaper. They used USPS for international shipping to the Netherlands. I was afraid it would take a while because Dutch customs can be very slow (8+ weeks sometimes). But Saturday my BookArmor arrived and I didn't have to pay any import duties or tax because on the form it said it was a gift.

The case itselfs looks and feels very sturdy. It isn't much bigger than my MEdge executive jacket but it's heavier. To install the 600 you have to put on 2 strips, which aren't permanent, they used to stick on thingies which are also used for wall hooks or posters. When you want to remove it you have to pull on one side and it comes off. They only provide one set but I'll email them if you can use the same strips for posters/hooks if you have taken them off and want to reattach them.

The strips and the inside of the BookArmor where you attach the reader is made of a sort of velcro called ClickLock, in the manual it says in big, bold letters that you shouldn't use velcro in combination with ClickLock because it forms a permanent bond. The strips are about a millimeter thick and I was still able to put the reader in my MEdge cover without problems.

To attach the reader and BookArmor you have to push rather hard but once attached it's secured very well though still easily removeable by lifting one side of the reader whilst holding down the BookArmor.

The ports, power button and stylus are easily accessible. You can fold the casing back like a books. It isn't possible to attach a reading light to the casing itself because of the raised edges but I found that I can put my TravelFlex on the spine and when it's folded back it stays on very well but reading lights with wider clips will not fit. There's also a cord along the spine which you can use to carry the casing by or put your hand through when the casing is open but not folded back.

The BookArmor is bigger than the 600, it's the same model they sell for the 505 and 700. You might be able to put a usb cable or a memory card with your reader, though you might want to get the Delta 6 if you want to carry more than the reader inside the casing.

As I said the Book Armor feels very sturdy, however the raised sides of the top and bottom to not touch each other when the reader is inside so it is still possible to put some pressure on the reader but the thick front and back prevents point pressure and pressure on the screen.

Final verdict:
I like the BookArmor but I would have liked it even more if it was a real shell and have the raised sides touch when closed to avoid any pressure, those extra couple of millimeters wouldn't be a problem for me. Still it is a very sturdy case and protects the reader better than the MEdge executive case.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I've had my BookArmor for nearly 5 months now and have been using it all the time. However, because I'm not going anywhere where I need that level of protection in the near future I wanted to use my mEdge executive case again. The only problem is that I'm afraid the ClickLock will get squished and won't work with the case anymore. You can remove them but you will lose the sticky thing which sticks the ClickLock strips to the reader. I emailed them if I can use, for instance, 3M Connect strips to reapply the ClickLock strips.

Just after I emailed them I saw that they now also sell the ClickLock strips seperately. Two sets for $3.50 isn't expensive but shipment to the Netherlands is: ranging from $14.80 to $90.74!

I'll wait for their answer. If I need to get new ClickLocks I order a multiple sets so I don't have to order them again soon.
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I got a reply back and they confirmed they used the poster strips from 3m to apply the ClickLock strips.