Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Is full justification a no-brainer or what?

I am saddened by the fact the Sony PRS-600 does not display epubs in full justification! After all it is trying to replace the printed book experience. Any hope of a future firmware to do this, or does Sony care? I understand that the 900 does it. I know that at least one Android powered unit does full justification. Is this a common failure of eReaders?
Cheers,
kev
P.S. Can I convert my epubs to a format that is full justified?
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Try lrf.
I can't stand full justification and that was the reason I always avoided lrf files when I was reading on Sony Reader
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
I am saddened by the fact the Sony PRS-600 does not display epubs in full justification! After all it is trying to replace the printed book experience. Any hope of a future firmware to do this, or does Sony care? I understand that the 900 does it. I know that at least one Android powered unit does full justification. Is this a common failure of eReaders?
Cheers,
kev
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Try lrf.
I can't stand full justification and that was the reason I always avoided lrf files when I was reading on Sony Reader
I avoid full justification when formatting my ebooks. I prefer my main text to be ragged right when reading because I use a larger font which results in large gaps between the words when the paragraph is fully justified.

As far as formats that support full justification, you can try PDF. You can make PDF files using OpenOffice.org. You make the ebook as a OpenDocument format file (make sure the page size matches the dimensions of your ebook reader's screen), export it to PDF, and the resulting PDF will be formatted exactly as intended including full justification. When you do a page preview you can see exactly what your ebook will look like on your ereader.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Thanks y'all. I hadn't tried large fonts, 'cause I know what you mean about large gaps. Hate them. I guess it is so dependent on the how you use the device. It came to mind when I was looking at a book on a Novel 7 & it was full just & looked good. Text filled the page well, like a book, but it will not do a really big font, so I guess it works for that device. BTW Picked up a Novel 7 for $165US with a $20 MIR. The store has a liberal return policy & I specifically asked about returning it opened. Just want to play around with it & see what it's all about. So far it's OK to read on & I will try night mode (white on black) & see if it's easy on the eyes. It's heavy, but I can handle it!!! If I keep it, it will be with the hope that they will open it to user installed Android apps. I understand that the white one has a micro SD card on the MB, so you can increase the main memory to 16GB as well as the external SD slot. Anyway, having some fun here in the Texas heat!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I prefer full justification and both my eReaders have supported it with ePub with no problems (the Cybook range and the Elonex 511EB). I think more readers support it than don't.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Look at my post here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=5
It explains why some people prefer left justification on an e-book reader.

Fully justified text looks better if you just look at the page. But when it isn't done right it can be less [conveniently] legible than left justified text.

This is why I consider user configurability such an important issue. We all all different and if you ask 3 people about what is an ideal book layout you get 5 different answers.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
If the reading application supports hyphenation then i clearly prefer full justification. On the Sony none of the reading applications (ePub-viewer, pdf-viewer nor LRF-viewer) support hyphenation unfortunately. If Sony would add support for full justification then they should add hyphenation too. Anything else doesn't make much sense to me. Better left justified text than full justification without hyphenation and - as a result - many varying gaps in the text.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Any hope of a future firmware to do this....
Don't hold your breath.

Quote:
...or does Sony care?
Nope, they don't.

I simply gave up and, whenever possible, I convert/download my books as lrf.
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
I try to use LRF for full justification, but the fact that I can't even edit the font or font size per zoom is just frustrating.

And if I want to use Epub I'd have to stick to the ugly ragged right justification.

If I could go back, I'd tell the person who gave me my reader not to buy a Sony one.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sony could allow full justification on the 600 and 300 with a firmware update, but don't expect one. My 900 does have full justification, which I prefer, but without hyphenation support it is not as good as it should be.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
Hilltop11
Hilltop11 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Post Full justification with the Sony 505

This is both my first post and hopefully may help someone.
I like not only full justification, but no TOC or Graphics, just plain simple text with Chapter Headings and nothing else. Not every ones cup of tea I admit.
I have a Sony 505 and decided in my ignorance to experiment with Page size, Font, type of file and Margins, using Atlantis Word Processor. I have finished with the following - which works for me - and even if it takes a bit of work it is what I wanted.
Page Size = 90.0mm wide 120.0mm high
Margins = Top 3.0mm - Bottom 4.8mm - Left & Right 3.3mm
Font = De-ja Vu Sans Condensed 16.0 pt.
File Format = RTF
The only problem I have is when I copy the books to the 505 despite them having the same font etc, and the same file information, some titles have a larger font than the others it looks a bit unsightly, but try as I may I cant get the titles to appear the same.
Hope this info is of use to someone.

Last edited by Hilltop11; 07-21-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Lost the original page while typing!!
Hilltop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
If the reading application supports hyphenation then i clearly prefer full justification
Yep, I only choose full justification only when hyphenation available. Otherwise, the text refer will annoy me too much to actually enjoy the book
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

My Kindle DXG does not hyphenate either, however I do notice that if the word spacing is too large it has some kind of algorythm to keep the full justification from pushing all the way to the right side margin. You can see an example of this in the attached screenshot (look for the red arrow). At first I thought this was an anomaly, but I see it occur every few pages. This is certainly better than nothing, but hyphenation would be much better.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-8415.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	691.2 KB
ID:	55606  

Last edited by jswinden; 07-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
If the reading application supports hyphenation then i clearly prefer full justification. On the Sony none of the reading applications (ePub-viewer, pdf-viewer nor LRF-viewer) support hyphenation unfortunately.
Is there an e-ink device on the market that supports hyphenation? I didn't think any of the manufacturers had accomplished that feature yet.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Is there an e-ink device on the market that supports hyphenation? I didn't think any of the manufacturers had accomplished that feature yet.
Unfortunately not many devices yet. PocketBook devices offer fbreader for DRMless books and fbreader supports hyphenation. Afaik fbreader is also available for iRex devices and fbreaderJ is available for the nook softroot too...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote