Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #16
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
What I'd really like to see is a working web browser. That would make the iLiad one of the coolest limited use UMPC on the block.
Er, now you can browse when the network is up, can you? Simple use the terminal aplication to call wired.sh start, or wireless.sh start (having a real network as Default, not the hack network, of course). I havent tried because I am sort of offline in this Solaris cluster.

You can use lynx

Last edited by arivero; 11-15-2006 at 09:39 PM.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:48 AM   #17
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Can you?

I didnt know it was still possible after the 2.4 version.

Even if it is, it is much to difficult for me right now, as my programming skills are zero (or NaN as some would say )
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 05:23 AM   #18
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Can you?

I didnt know it was still possible after the 2.4 version.

Even if it is, it is much to difficult for me right now, as my programming skills are zero (or NaN as some would say )
I have compilled the dillo web browser for the iliad, but I'm short of time and didn't even tested it.

What I've not done is putting the appropiate calls to liberipc/liberdm. I would like to test if it works prior to start making modifications...

Just wait a couple of weeks and I hope to have had time to look at it (or at least try it).

Antartica.

P.S.: I've tested browsing the web using the included minimo and it doesn't fare very well. Wikipedia works, but mobileread doesn't. And is slooooooow. And crashes often. You should not use the "browser" in the 2.4 hack, as it adds further unstability (usually crashes after rendering the first page). But if you do an html file with a content like:
Code:
<html><head></head><body><a href="http://www.wikipedia.org">Go!</a></body></html>
and click it (after enabling your web access, of course), it's reasonable.
Ah! And remember to click often the "lock-keys" icon to make a fast refresh to the screen (usefull when you have clicked something in the page).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:45 AM   #19
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
I have compilled the dillo web browser for the iliad, but I'm short of time and didn't even tested it.

What I've not done is putting the appropiate calls to liberipc/liberdm. I would like to test if it works prior to start making modifications...
I have a working dillo as a part of an RSS reader I have in the pipe. Give me a couple more days and I'll shoot you the source.

What I'd love to figure out is whether minimo is just unstable or if iRex made it unstable... it is using up one heck of a lot of the iLiad's internal storage and as far as I've seen it isn't justifying its existence.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #20
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
and the best part is that soon all those hungry 2.7.1 users will be able to use all these nice apps...:-)
I wonder when the notification will arrive that I can now download the .sh enabling iDs update...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #21
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
What I'd love to figure out is whether minimo is just unstable or if iRex made it unstable... it is using up one heck of a lot of the iLiad's internal storage and as far as I've seen it isn't justifying its existence.
It is unstable in the Nokia 770 already, and the iLiad browser departs even more, so guess...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Pretty soon the reading function will be 'lost' among the great many applications.
It's not like a complain, i think it's great that we (i mean scotty and the others in the know-how) take advantage of the speedy processor, the touch screen and the (partly)closed code.
Reading online is still reading.

Anyway, the device is too expensive to be only a reader, though I think it is still great for that purpose. iRex opening up the install mechanism is a great move. If they could just get their DRM situation cleared up, I think they could really sell units.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #23
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
@Scotty1024, I noticed you started a thread about bluetooth keyboards to use with sylpheed-claws. Does that mean it doesn't accept scribble input, only the screen keyboard?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:40 AM   #24
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
@Scotty1024, I noticed you started a thread about bluetooth keyboards to use with sylpheed-claws. Does that mean it doesn't accept scribble input, only the screen keyboard?
You can scribble, you can tap. But to enter longer emails you start longing for a real keyboard, or at least I do.

You also get back a sizable chunk of screen real estate.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:29 AM   #25
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
My personal favourite would be actually http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/30/e...e-in-the-wild/

It's an prototype for a cover seconding as keyboard. And it's with usb plug, so it's only one hid kernel module away.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:17 AM   #26
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
It's an prototype for a cover seconding as keyboard. And it's with usb plug, so it's only one hid kernel module away.
You would like to think its one module away, but alas it isn't.

I experimented with grabbing Zaurus and iPaq loadable modules. But iRex compiled the iLiad's kernel with some curious choices as to what got compiled in.

These choices mean we have to have our own loadable modules, and even a simple USB keyboard requires more than one module to get it running.

One thing that is only a single module away is CDROM/DVD support. I've plugged in a DVD drive and mounted a FAT32 CD-R I cut just so I could prove it worked.

The iLiad ships without ISO-9660 support, this is another module I intend to get working. (ISO-9660 is the standard filesystem for CD's) I figure myself and/or someone else will be creating a Linux iLiad distro sometime soon. It will be useful to be able to mount a CD directly to install tools off a distro CD.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:36 AM   #27
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
hm. that's depressing.

But an USB DVD drive, that's neat.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #28
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
These choices mean we have to have our own loadable modules, and even a simple USB keyboard requires more than one module to get it running.
for the usb mouse there was two options in old linux kernels: either the usbmouse module or the hid module. The point is that USB keyboards and mouses are supposed to come in two flavours: Boot and HID-Report. The Boot devices do not Report its configuration and the driver needs to use one by default. This is whan usbmouse was for, and it should be also a "usbkeyboard" around. On the other hand, HID-reported drivers are able to understand any input device.

I guess I am not telling anything you have not learn already! But just in case.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #29
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
. Does that mean it doesn't accept scribble input, only the screen keyboard?
Well, you can always attach the scribble input as an image. Funny to send email handwritten.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #30
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Well, you can always attach the scribble input as an image. Funny to send email handwritten.
Yes, but very much more personal :-)
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote