Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
bleriot
bleriot began at the beginning.

Device: PDA w/ Windows Mobile 6.5
Send files to... PDA

Hi,

I discovered calibre a few days ago and now it is installed in my two computers (Windows / Ubuntu). I think it's simply a wonderful piece of software!

The only complaint I have about it is that it does not take into account the regular PDAs as reading devices! I own no specific ebook reader but use my Windows Mobile 6.5 ACER Betouch 101 PDA instead, since in this way, I have everything I need in a single device (contacts, phone, GPS, ebook reader, music player, video player...).

If I try to send my files to the PDA (which uses MobiPocket reader to read the ebooks) calibre complains about my request saying that there is no device connected. Of course, the PDA is not a dedicated ebook reader, I know, but I saw (debugging the connection) that the software is able to detect the USB pen drives connected to the computer.

Since most modern PDAs based on Windows Mobile may be configured to connect in two different ways, namely, as a PDA or as a pen drive...

... wouldn't it be possible to add an option to send the ebooks to a pen drive?

In this way, all those (including myself) that use these kind of devices would be able to send ebooks to the PDA without having to go to the computer, locate the (possibly converted) files, and copy them to the PDA...

This feature would be a "nice to have" one. In fact, there is a workaround to send the files to the PDA (as I have just described), but having it would be simply delightful.

I would like that this idea be taken as a suggestion for next versions' feature improvements.

Last, but not least:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR CALIBRE.

Regards,

Bleriot.
bleriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use save to disk
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
bleriot

Mmmmm...

yes, of course. But I wasn't asking about DRM removal!

My suggestion was about the ability to send files to PDAs seen as regular pen drives...

Thank you very much for your attention.

Bleriot
Old 03-14-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
bleriot

Oh, my!

I just read your signature and thought that it was part of your answer. Just forget my answer!!!

Bleriot
Old 03-14-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use save to disk

That's a good workaround for the Elonex 511EB as well.

Thanks Kovid,

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleriot View Post
But I wasn't asking about DRM removal!....
Oh, my!
I just read your signature and thought that it was part of your answer. Just forget my answer!!!
This is actually kind of funny. You're not the first to have confused Kovid's signature for an answer. Just a few days ago there was discussion of how to avoid that confusion, and I suggested he add the "Notice to all:" part in front. My thinking was that people would be less likely to believe it was part of a specific answer to them if it was clearly labeled as a notice to everyone. .....

You can see how well that idea worked Oh well....
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #7
TikaMajere
TikaMajere began at the beginning.

Device: PDA
I am also having this same problem with my PDA, which is a Ipaq Enterprise 210 running Windows Mobile 6, which, when connected to my computer, does not show up as a drive, but as "Other", so a save to disc doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?
TikaMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I suspect you are doing nothing wrong. Calibre only provides an easy way to transfer files if the device in question exposes itself as a disk drive.

If you have an SD card then you could remove this from the PDA and plug it in separately using a SD card adapter and it would then probably show up as a disk drive so that you can use the Calibre Save to Disk option. I have seen forum references to others using this approach.

if the PDA supports ActiveSync then another possibility is to use "Save to Disk" in Calibre to put the files at a known location, and then transfer them to the PDA using ActiveSync.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
This is actually kind of funny. You're not the first to have confused Kovid's signature for an answer. Just a few days ago there was discussion of how to avoid that confusion, and I suggested he add the "Notice to all:" part in front. My thinking was that people would be less likely to believe it was part of a specific answer to them if it was clearly labeled as a notice to everyone. .....

You can see how well that idea worked Oh well....
It was a good idea. Maybe Kovid could lighten/change the color a tad and see if that helps?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikaMajere View Post
I am also having this same problem with my PDA, which is a Ipaq Enterprise 210 running Windows Mobile 6, which, when connected to my computer, does not show up as a drive, but as "Other", so a save to disc doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?
No, you're not doing anything wrong. Calibre can't see ActiveSync devices, only drives with letters. I have 3 WinMo devices, I use all 3 as e-readers, but can't save directly to any of them from Calibre via ActiveSync (one of them - the newest- can optionally appear as a USB drive, so I can save direct to it, as long as it's connected as a USB drive and not as an AS device.)

itimpi's answers are the two most common methods - both work fine.

Other approaches are to set up the content server (that's my favorite) and get books via the browser, or to configure an ActiveSync (or 3rd party) synchronization folder, use Calibre to save into the sync folder, then AS will auto-transfer the books when it synchronizes the files in the sync folder with the corresponding folder on your IPAQ.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
TikaMajere
TikaMajere began at the beginning.

Device: PDA
Thanks to all who replied so quickly!
TikaMajere is offline   Reply With Quote