Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many freebies did you download for 'Read an Ebook Week'?
Between 1-10 34 38.20%
Between 11-25 10 11.24%
Between 26-50 4 4.49%
More than 50 8 8.99%
None. Didn't know/was not interested 33 37.08%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've downloaded eight so far from MR, but that includes three omnibuses.

I'll get back to you at the end of the week!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
frank.w
Enthusiast
frank.w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (sans 3G)
Not so much 'downloaded' as collecting. My Kindle came with 2 DVD's full of free stuff - 15,000 titles on one, 17,100 on the second. All public domain stuff. I'm in the process now of uploading most of them (probably leave out the Erotic Fiction - sorry) to my "SkyDrive" site and I'll post the URL when it's ready. -- Truely, more than you can shake a stick at.
- Frank
frank.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #18
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Well I haven't actually downloaded anything, but I went through Smashwords and "bought" almost all the books that were being offered for free, except for a few that I knew I'd never be interested in.

I figure I can just leave them in my Smashwords library and go through them at my leisure. it doesn't hurt to have them available there.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #19
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Just a guess 11-25 (didn't keep count)
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do think the eBook Week website can do a better job of listing the free eBooks. Some of the links just take us to the site (such as BooksOnBoard) and leaves us to flounder around trying to find them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #21
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm a big supporter of indie authors, but I've become much more selective in what I download to read.

If the book has been read and mentioned by members, I'll check it out. Of course, if I have read other books by the same author (and liked them), I'll get more by the same author.

I don't check reviews on Amazon, instead, I check for independent bloggers reviewing the books. I look for at least 3 to 5 reviews on different sites, before making a decision to buy.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
More than 50! Wow!

Personally I read 1 hehe. There are only so many hours in the day.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #23
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Zero. I'm afraid I reached saturation point months ago with free books (most of which I deleted after realising I'll never read them).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 AM   #24
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Just a handful... I only download, what I want to read... I think..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #25
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Ebooks don't go off, though, Lene. And they don't take up shelf space. Why not take advantage of this week's offers and stock up your library for later? Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #26
despgreene
despgreene began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Free eBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I had such fun with the freebies over at Smashwords. I downloaded (slowly---they must be getting a ton of hits!) anything that looked remotely interesting and I plan to go back and tip the authors for the ones I wind up enjoying. I am a little embarrassed to admit how many new books I got!

I was especially pleased to get the two first books in the series by Connie Shelton, they looked interesting before but she never had any of it for sample so I ignored. Now, I can try them out! There was also an anthology called 'Scairy Tales' that looked interesting.

So, how about the rest of you, how many freebies have you downloaded? Any you are particularly looking forward to?
Are you one of the one hundred and fifty who downloaded my books ??

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/vi...e:chinscratch:
despgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #27
despgreene
despgreene began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
The first reader....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I'm a big supporter of indie authors, but I've become much more selective in what I download to read.

If the book has been read and mentioned by members, I'll check it out. Of course, if I have read other books by the same author (and liked them), I'll get more by the same author.

I don't check reviews on Amazon, instead, I check for independent bloggers reviewing the books. I look for at least 3 to 5 reviews on different sites, before making a decision to buy.
If you only rely on previous reviews then the ebook you may best like may escape you....
despgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #28
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
None.... In general for me, I find that the free stuff is impulse, and I seldom actually read it. Most of it for me is just not that interesting, and with limited time I would rather read what I actually want to read.... and I have a ton of books to read... love those ebooks
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #29
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by despgreene View Post
Are you one of the one hundred and fifty who downloaded my books ??
Maybe. I can't get into Smashwords to see the link you provided. I guess they are still overwhelmed from the interest.

I did download a lot of stuff. I have already deleted three of them because I read the first few pages and was not impressed. One, I am reading now and it's pretty good. Not 'best book ever' maybe, but pretty good. It's about Pompeii.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #30
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I didn't download any as I have too many to read already Around 180 on my reader at present.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote