Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: what was your average score across the quizzes you tried?
75% or better 0 0%
50% or better 5 15.63%
25% or better 11 34.38%
I ran away screaming without even trying the quizzes 7 21.88%
The Blue One, Next to the Fish 6 18.75%
Way less than 25 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Alphabet Soup - Do you recognize these languages?

How many of these languages can you recognize?

http://www.purposegames.com/game/470/info

How about these?

http://www.purposegames.com/game/mor...soup-quiz/info

Or this one?

http://www.purposegames.com/game/607/info
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I tried, got a few right, got sick of being wrong, and *then* ran away screaming. Softly, in my head, so as not to wake the children. Who aren't in bed yet, but I'm pretending. It's better for my sanity.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The one with the "living" languages I was best at. Though, I've never heard of most of them
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Averaged around 50% - didn't seem to do any better with living or dead languages!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
There are some fun quizzes there!

http://www.purposegames.com/game/502
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Really tough. At a glance I recognized eight out of the thirty on the first page (Braille, Greek, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, and Gujarati) but I spent several more minutes taking the quiz and got no more correct. On the second and third pages I only recognized two each and didn't take the quizzes. I'm pretty sure most of those scripts are not of this world. Where's Adrian?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i got 43% on the first one but a few of them were lucky guesses. i recognised mostly the ones which are represented here because we have immigrant populations whose store / restaurant signs are bilingual (or sometimes only in their native language). some of the same as vr : Braille, Greek, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew. also the international phonetic alphabet, runic... some of them i've never even heard of though.

as for the other one... klingon ??? really ???? i'm not going to be embarassed for not recognising some made up language !

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 09-06-2009 at 12:10 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got just over 50% on the first test and just under 50% on the second one. But then, I have an undergraduate degree in linguistics, after all. (There were a few that I got wrong and then kicked myself over.) I haven't had time to take the third one yet.

Klingon, like Tengwar, is an "invented" language of some standing at this point. There are dictionaries, classes, etc. (I got both of those right.)

If you find this sort of thing interesting, you might check http://www.omniglot.com/ and particularly this page: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/cons...2.htm#conlangs or http://www.omniglot.com/writing/fictional.php

Last edited by nekokami; 09-06-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I got just over 50% on the first test and just under 50% on the second one. But then, I have an undergraduate degree in linguistics, after all. (There were a few that I got wrong and then kicked myself over.) I haven't had time to take the third one yet.
The third one has a few duplicates from the second - makes it that little bit easier
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
about 2/3, not too good, it is a great mix here in la, everything you've heard of and a lot you've never seen before, the mixtures are very strange, english in the middle of thai is almost commonb now
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
wow . thanks for sharing these! had lots of fun

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I had a non-linguist friend try it today. He got just under 50%, but that was probably skewed by the fact that he's studied Japanese, and 3 of the scripts in the first quiz are used in Japan. Being able to read Japanese kanji gave him recognition of Chinese as a bonus (though he can't really read Chinese). Plus anyone who spends much time in Asian markets gets to recognize Korean pretty quickly. (That's how I recognize Thai as well-- I was surprised he missed that one.)

Part of the reason I posted this is that I'm wondering how easily our members recognize different scripts, as we now have the ability to create usernames using unicode. If you see a username like 猫神 or नालो, how hard would it be for you to recognize that name again? How about Игор or Αθενε?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I got 33% in 5:44. But the last one was just a gimme, since it was the only choice left.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
How about a choice for "way less than 25%" ???

Was Tolkien's Runic language in there? I looked for it and didn't see it. From the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit books.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
How about a choice for "way less than 25%" ???

Was Tolkien's Runic language in there? I looked for it and didn't see it. From the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit books.
Added the option for you. Tolkien's Cirth writing system is in the second quiz.