Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
mobrien0144
mobrien0144 began at the beginning.

Device: sony e book 505
audio books

I have a Sony 505 for about 2 months now and I'm wondering if I can download audio books from Borders. Borders site says ithe audio books are MP3, WMA and DRM compatible, but it doesn't specifically say I can download to my Sony. Can someone help me? If I can't get audio books from Borders, does the Sony book store have audio books? thanks for any help
mobrien0144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've never used my 505 for audio books (always use my iPod for that), but the 505 will play any MP3 files, so as long as the audio book you're purchasing is in mp3 format you'll be okay.

One thing I'm not sure of (maybe someone else who's used the mp3 player on their 505 can answer) is whether it will "remember" your position in the file you're listening to. This is fairly important for audio books--especially ones that have longer files. If the player won't start back up at where you left off, it can be a pain to try and locate the position you last listened to on your book.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
leiweixi
leiweixi began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Prs500 does remember the position.
leiweixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Get a dedicated MP3 player. Even the cheapest is a lot better than the Sony (or any other eBook reader) for playing MP3. MP3's are dangerous on the 500 - there's no "stop" button, only a "pause", and it's all too easy to inadvertently leave it playing, and drain the battery flat.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
One thing I'm not sure of (maybe someone else who's used the mp3 player on their 505 can answer) is whether it will "remember" your position in the file you're listening to. This is fairly important for audio books--especially ones that have longer files. If the player won't start back up at where you left off, it can be a pain to try and locate the position you last listened to on your book.
Agreed. iTunes allows you to tick a box so your iPod remembers how far you are through the audiobook mp3. Other mp3 players probably offer the same thing but check that they do before buying one specifically for audiobook playback.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't think the 505 supports DRM laden music.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
My daughter just bought an iPod Shuffle, 2GB for $70, which would be excellent for listening to audio books or music on. It is about the size of 4 postage stamps and not a whole lot thicker.

There's no need to use the Sony Reader for anything other than reading -- I'm considering getting an iPod shuffle myself, now that I've seen hers!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only negative to listening to audio books on an iPod Shuffle is that it lacks a display. If you lose your place in a four or five hour audio book file, it can be awfully hard to find it again without a visual cue as to where you are in the file!

I have an iPod Nano (1gb first generation) that's great for listening to audio books on. Since you don't need to use high bit-rates when recording audiobooks, 1gb will hold several hours of audiobooks. (I think I have about 40 hours on mine right now.) I bought it used off of e-bay about two months ago for $25.

dordale
Old 06-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yep - I generally record my audio books in 64k mono. You can get a heck of a lot of audio into a small space at that sample rate!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
My daughter just bought an iPod Shuffle, 2GB for $70, which would be excellent for listening to audio books or music on. It is about the size of 4 postage stamps and not a whole lot thicker.
I'm pretty sure you can't listen to audio books on a shuffle.

1. You have no way to choose what song/file you listen to on the shuffle.
2. The shuffle will not book mark a position in a file.

Unless the two above items have changed. There is a Creative Media (I think is the brand) device similar in size/price/capaicty to the shuffle but it does have a display and allow for the above two things.

But, I do agree, a decent MP3 player is a better choice than any of the current readers for audio books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
The Nano is the way to go for audio books. I bought one for $30 off ebay and it works just fine.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Correct me if I am wrong.. but doesn't the shuffle just shuffle the tracks so you cannot play in any order? If I am correct, then the shuffle should be placed back on ebay for resale.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Audible.com lists the Shuffle as one of the devices that can be used with the service, so at least in that case, the Shuffle works. Maybe mp3 files shuffle and .aa files don't.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
guesswhat4039
guesswhat4039 began at the beginning.

Device: THINKING OF BUYING E-BOOK
I WANTED TO BUY AN E-BOOK READER THAT CAN DO BOTH AUDIO AND READ. ANY SUGESTIONS. I HAVE NOT BOUGHT ONE YET. ALSO I LIKE TO READ AT NIGHT AND DURING OUTSIDE DAY. THANKS
guesswhat4039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard

I do know that awhile ago, Audible.com had a promotion where you could sign up for one of their long term plans and they'd give you a Shuffle, so it must work with Audible files. Since I don't own a shuffle, I don't know exactly how it works. But I seem to recall that there is a way to tell the Shuffle to play the tracks in the order you put them on the player.

dordale

Last edited by dordale; 06-25-2008 at 07:53 PM.