Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
a_whale
a_whale began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
anyone else hear a ticking sound?

hey, I just noticed a faint ticking sound whenever the screen refreshes on my kindle. I'm not sure if it just started or I just started hearing it, but now that I know it's there it's kind of annoying. do you guys get the same thing, or does it mean something's up?
a_whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_whale View Post
hey, I just noticed a faint ticking sound whenever the screen refreshes on my kindle. I'm not sure if it just started or I just started hearing it, but now that I know it's there it's kind of annoying. do you guys get the same thing, or does it mean something's up?
Weird! You might want to contact the bomb squad.

I am sure you don't mean the sound of the actual button itself?

Otherwise, absolutely no ticking on my Kindle, but just to be sure, had the wife and a young friend listen carefully. Quiet as a church mouse.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
no ticking here
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Don't worry, that's just the meter on the EVDO running.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
a_whale

huh, well that's kind of discouraging. it's not the button clicking itself, it's coming from inside the device and it happens just when the screen goes black to refresh. the tick is pretty audible from reading distance, and if I put my ear right up to it I can hear a whirry-squeaky sound from the hard drive at the same time. somebody on amazon has the exact same thing so I hope it doesn't mean the drive is about to fail or something.
Advert
Old 03-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You'll know when it stops. You'll hear a loud BOOM!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
huh, well that's kind of discouraging. it's not the button clicking itself, it's coming from inside the device and it happens just when the screen goes black to refresh. the tick is pretty audible from reading distance, and if I put my ear right up to it I can hear a whirry-squeaky sound from the hard drive at the same time. somebody on amazon has the exact same thing so I hope it doesn't mean the drive is about to fail or something.
Seriously (for once), you really should contact Amazon tomorrow via phone or email, and get it replaced. Something is wrong, and no sense in waiting for it to fail. Good luck.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I share your concern about hard drive failure. That's why I am glad the Kindle doesn't have one.

You are correct, though. The Kindle does make a sound. I never noticed before because my Kindle is virtually silent. I had to hold it up to my ear in order to hear it.

If you can hear the sound when holding the kindle at arms length, then your Kindle is in some way defective. It was probably assembled wrong.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
a_whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Seriously (for once), you really should contact Amazon tomorrow via phone or email, and get it replaced. Something is wrong, and no sense in waiting for it to fail. Good luck.
well aren't you guys a bunch of jokers with your nice quiet kindles that aren't going to explode. I just sent them an email, I guess I'll see if I'm just being nitpicky or not.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
a_whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I share your concern about hard drive failure. That's why I am glad the Kindle doesn't have one.

You are correct, though. The Kindle does make a sound. I never noticed before because my Kindle is virtually silent. I had to hold it up to my ear in order to hear it.

If you can hear the sound when holding the kindle at arms length, then your Kindle is in some way defective. It was probably assembled wrong.
ahh, good deal, I guess the whirring is probably just the screen painting or something. do you get the tick at all though? that's the part I can hear from reading distance. it's probably nothing, just me being easily irritated.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
ahh, good deal, I guess the whirring is probably just the screen painting or something. do you get the tick at all though? that's the part I can hear from reading distance. it's probably nothing, just me being easily irritated.
I think I get a series of ticks, about 5 or so. I'm not sure because i can barely hear it.

If I were in your position, I would get the Kindle replaced.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Vizplex does not make any sound when updating the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:

From 'IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE':

"Papa says everytime you hear a click another angel gets its wings"

or was it "Bezos gets another buck"?
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think I get a series of ticks, about 5 or so. I'm not sure because i can barely hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Vizplex does not make any sound when updating the screen.
I'm thinking it could be a capacitor discharging as part of the refresh cycle -- they do make sounds some times, but it certainly shouldn't be as loud as you're describing. That's not the only thing it might be, just the first thing that springs to mind. I'd agree that something is out of order, regardless, and getting them to swap it would likely be better for you in the long run.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 PM   #15
a_whale

well, I just called and the guy tried to hear it on his own kindle for a while, then eventually decided the kindle just isn't supposed to do that. I was kind of surprised, I thought they'd tell me it was normal and quit complaining but I guess they're going to send out a new one. oh well, at least I'll be able to check if the new one does it too.

I have to say Amazon is doing customer service well. I got straight through to a friendly support guy. I didn't even have to speak my order number into some voice recognition or anything.

so yeah...thanks for the input everyone.