Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Uncle_Franek
Uncle_Franek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hungarian dictionary doesn't lookup words with prefixes

Hi all,
I'd like to use a Hungarian dictionary on my Kindle and just found one. Unfortunately, the lookup for words does work only for entire words.

To make myself clear, let's say I look for the English word 'horses' (pl), my dictionary will redirect me to 'horse' (sg). Same with 'growing', which will redirect me to grow.

My French dictionary works pretty well the same way. If I'm looking for the word 'laissant' (to leave, present participle), I'm redirected to the infinitive 'laisser'.

Now let's say I'm looking for the Hungarian word 'ház' (house), it's fine, the dictionary finds it. But if I'm looking for 'házak' (pl), or 'házban' (locative, in the house), then the dictionary doesn't recognize it and redirects me knowhere, which is a shame, as words are seldom in the citation form.

Now the big question... Can anyone help me? The dictionary is in PRC.

Thanks a lot,
Franek
Uncle_Franek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
This has to do with how the dictionary was created. Nothing you can do except rewrite the dictionary.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
This has to do with how the dictionary was created. Nothing you can do except rewrite the dictionary.
Exactly. Inflections need to be hard coded in the dictionary. See this example.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
sevenkul
sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Franek View Post
Now let's say I'm looking for the Hungarian word 'ház' (house), it's fine, the dictionary finds it. But if I'm looking for 'házak' (pl), or 'házban' (locative, in the house), then the dictionary doesn't recognize it and redirects me knowhere, which is a shame, as words are seldom in the citation form.
I agree it is a shame. Instead of rewriting the dictionary, you can send a feature request like the following that I send one month ago:

Quote:
Hi, thank you for taking care of feedbacks. I want a request about opening dictionary while reading a book. I don't want to close the book, find dictionary from dictionaries category, open it, search the word and then close it come back to to the book. Jumping to dictionary inside a book is easier.

I like the"Show full definition" button because it opens the dictionary at a specific position so that I can look at derivatives of the word by moving back and forth in the dictionary. However, if the definition is short, this button doesn't show up. I can't jump into the dictionary.

I sometimes get "No definition found!" error just because the word has some suffix at the end. This error neither provides a solution nor any link to dictionary. For example, it would be excellent if I could jump to the definition of "zephyr" when "zephyric" isn't in the dictionary with such an algorithm: drop last characters of "zephyric" one by one until finding a word in the dictionary. I can deduce the meaning by going around "zephyr" in the dictionary. A suggestion is better than no-definition error.

Some languages have a long list of suffixes for any word. Putting all of them in the inflection list of each word may cause performance issues. The above algorithm helps this issue. Dictionary developers can add most common suffixes to .mobi dictionary and the rest can be handled by suggestions.

There is a "Dictionary" option near the search box at the top bar. However, When this option is selected, the word is searched in the default kindle language, not in the language of the book. So, it is also not usable in jumping to dictionary.
It is not a difficult task for the kindle development team but I don't know why this problem still remains. (I couldn't try firmware 5.3.6 yet)
sevenkul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, hungarian