Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Annotations/Bookmarks in 2.5/2.5.1 still rubbish

Can anyone else please confirm this behaviour

You can create various bookmarks. However when you subsequently go into Annotations to find them:
  • The Chapter a bookmark was created in is only given for the first bookmark you made.
  • When you initially create a bookmark and check in annotations it will quote a figure for "Bookmark:x% into chapter" (but I don't think the x% figure quoted is right). However, If you power down the Kobo and then check annotations all just show as being 0% into chapter
  • It would be logical to list the Annotations in chapter order (which it doesn't) as it does not seem to record the chapter (other than the first one), failing this it should at least list them in date order, which it doesn't
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycymru View Post
Can anyone else please confirm this behaviour

You can create various bookmarks. However when you subsequently go into Annotations to find them:
  • The Chapter a bookmark was created in is only given for the first bookmark you made.
  • When you initially create a bookmark and check in annotations it will quote a figure for "Bookmark:x% into chapter" (but I don't think the x% figure quoted is right). However, If you power down the Kobo and then check annotations all just show as being 0% into chapter
  • It would be logical to list the Annotations in chapter order (which it doesn't) as it does not seem to record the chapter (other than the first one), failing this it should at least list them in date order, which it doesn't
works fine for me
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
Which ebook are you talking?
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The display and listing of annotations and bookmarks has been wrong for a long time. They work, are listed all the time and if I select one, it takes me to the right spot. But, the annotations list is wrong.

Here is my list of bugs related to annotations:
  • Order in the annotations list is wacky. It isn't in creation order or order within the book or alphabetical order. Also, the order changes when you delete a bookmark or annotation.
  • Date created shown is in GMT. i.e. I am in GMT+11. If I create an annotation at 12:09 am on the 6th of March, it will be shown as created on 5th of March.
  • Annotations/Bookmarks in the list are not shown under the correct chapter title. Instead of the chapter they are in, they are generally under the last chapter selected using the TOC or navigation bar.
  • Bookmarks percentage into chapter is always zero after closing and reopening a book.
    • If you set a bookmark, and display the annotations list, the percentage into chapter shows a reasonable looking number.
    • Close the book and reopen it and then go to the annotations list and the percentage is always zero.
    • Also, all bookmarks and annotations are shown under the chapter that is being read when the book is reopened.
    • These problems do not happen for books on the SD card. They also don't happen if the annotations file created by ADE is removed before opening the book. So, it appears to be related to reading this file.
  • If you select an existing annotation in an epub, the menu for the pencil has "Save Highlight" and "Edit Note". "Edit Note" is good, but "Save Highlight" makes no sense. Previous firmware had "Delete Annotation". This is what the same menu for a kepub has. This changed for 2.3.1.
  • For an existing highlight, the menu has "Highlight" and "Add Note". "Highlight" should be "Remove Highlight" like it is for a kepub. This changed for 2.3.1.

I have checked of all with 2.5.1 except the timetamp. They are all still happening.

Kobo definitely has this list. Plus a detailed analysis of what happens when you reopen the book.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-25-2013 at 10:43 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There is also no option to go back to the Annotation/Bookmark list when "show annotation/bookmark on page" has been selected.
Also the current book position (reading position) will be lost when looking up previous annotations or bookmarks and will set the current reading position to the last opened annotation or bookmark. So it is not possible to continue reading if you don't remember het right page number or chapter number.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
[*]These problems do not happen for books on the SD card. They also don't happen if the annotations file created by ADE is removed before opening the book. So, it appears to be related to reading this file.
How do I find the "annotations file created by ADE"? Since I sideload all my books using Calibre, would I still have this file?
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
How do I find the "annotations file created by ADE"? Since I sideload all my books using Calibre, would I still have this file?
They are in "Digital Editions\Annotations" on the main memory. Under that, the files are in directories in the same structure as the directories holding the books.

The annotation files are created for all epubs that have been opened. They are an XML file and, with a bit of fiddling, can be copied to use with ADE. Or they can be copied to another Kobo device.

The problem is that there is no way to prevent the file from being created except by putting the epub on the SD card. Once the file is there, when you close the book and reopen it, the annotations get messed up. If you connect and delete the files before reopening the book, it will work OK.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
One could delete the folder by executing a bash script from the KoboLauncher or the KoboTweaks before opening a book.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Interesting, very interesting. I'm going to try putting my gaming books on my currently empty 2gb SD card, see if the annotations work better.

Wow. What a difference. My manually added bookmarks work again. Thanks a lot, David. Now all I need is for the ghosting on zoom'ed pdfs to be fixed...

Last edited by ottdmk; 04-27-2013 at 08:58 PM.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Also the current book position (reading position) will be lost when looking up previous annotations or bookmarks and will set the current reading position to the last opened annotation or bookmark. So it is not possible to continue reading if you don't remember het right page number or chapter number.
I always bookmark current book position before use annotation in order to go back to current position.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
zztush
Connoisseur

Quote:
Order in the annotations list is wacky. It isn't in creation order or order within the book or alphabetical order. Also, the order changes when you delete a bookmark or annotation.
Hi, David. I read puzzle books often on my Kobo touch, and I use annotations in order to check the problems afterwards. I think the order of annotations is sorted by the page numbers on my kobo touch on fw 2.4.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztush View Post
Hi, David. I read puzzle books often on my Kobo touch, and I use annotations in order to check the problems afterwards. I think the order of annotations is sorted by the page numbers on my kobo touch on fw 2.4.
If you don't close the book, the sorting seems to be correct. But,if you close an epub that is on the main memory, the order is messed up when you open it. And if you delete the first annotation, the rest are usually listed in a different order when it is redisplayed.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #13
zztush
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
If you don't close the book, the sorting seems to be correct. But,if you close an epub that is on the main memory, the order is messed up when you open it. And if you delete the first annotation, the rest are usually listed in a different order when it is redisplayed.
I see. I don't close my book normally. I keep my kobo sleep or shut down. I just read one book at a time. Thank you for your explanation.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
for pdf... the annotation text is lost when you reopen the book
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Interestingly enough, if you put the book on a SD card, annotations work properly.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote