Read the entire series from start to finish. 60 38.71%
Read until fed up, read another book, and return. 52 33.55%
Read one book from series, then another, and return. 33 21.29%
Read two or more series at once. 10 6.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
How do *you* read series?

Don't say: "From beginning to end", because it's not funny

What I mean is this. I've just started to read the Shannara series by Terry brooks. It is very... looooooong, and many books are 400+ pages. While they do tie together, each book is a story onto itself. If you never read a Shannara book, you could just pick one if you wanted, and read it (at least, most of them).

In the past, I've tried to re-read other long series, but tired of it during the third or fourth book, so now I'm thinking to do it differently. There are quite some books that I did not read yet, but that have been on my To-Read list (and often, in my possession, as paper, eBook, or both) for ages.

These are the options I'm considering:

1. Against all odds, try to re-read the entire series from start to finish.
2. Read the series until I tire of it. Then finish the current book, and pick a different one after that. Return to the series after one or two other books.
3. Read one book from a series, then read a different book that is not in a series. After that, return to the series.
4. Read two or three (or more) different series at once. First read a book from the first series, then one from the second, then from the third, and return to the first series again.

As I am a fantasy reader, I have many triolgies, quadrilogies, and series that often span 10 books or more, and I wish to re-read much of them. Also, I am thinking to (finally, after 15 years) branch out into other genres. I do occasionally read books in different genres, but not very much up to this point. I'm thinking about these:

Detectives (Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes)
Mystery (Dan Brown's stuff)
Asian-oriented stuff (in the vein of Shogun, and Musashi, both of which I have read already)
Read more classics

So, how would you handle (re-)reading series, and at the same time, branching out to different genres?

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I read them with a groan
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Read the entire series from start to finish. ... In a perfect world where the entire series is published.

At the moment, I read primarily dystopian fiction, which usually comes in trilogies (why, oh why!), and urban fantasy, which comes in series, and which I get as audiobooks usually. I *try* to stay away from trilogies until the last book is out (not very successful at it), and then read the entire tirilogy in one go.
With urban fantasy series, they are ongoing, and are all still being written, so I try to listen to as many in a row as I can get.

I am like a crack addict on withdrawal at the moment, because I have gotten to the last published book in all my series, and have some trilogy installments still waiting to be published. No idea how to cope!!

Last edited by xendula; 02-04-2013 at 05:29 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I rarely read entire series. More often than not I find myself losing interest after a few books. A lot of the series I do read are not yet finished, so I tend to read the new books as they come out and switch between series as books come out.

I've been reading Honor Harrington that way for close to 20 years, and Kris Longknife for about 10 (I think). I'm largely caught up on Jim Butcher and Seanan McGuire, too.

Big fantasy doorstops like Robert Jordan tend to leave me cold these days. I used to read them in sequence, but that series just died for me. (Books felt like they were too long and nothing seemed to be happening so I stopped reading the series).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
How do *you* read series?
Good thing you caught me then because that's how I would try to read a series if possible. I know that's how I read the Harry Potter books, with side trips into fan fictions when in between J.K.Rowling's novels.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

What I mean is this. I've just started to read the Shannara series by Terry brooks. It is very... looooooong, and many books are 400+ pages. While they do tie together, each book is a story onto itself. If you never read a Shannara book, you could just pick one if you wanted, and read it (at least, most of them).
If a series is long enough, I do read in chronological order. In fact, I've recently started reading the Shannara series in chronological order. I have read some of the Shannara books. I did start off in published order. But this time, I plan on reading the entire series in chronological order. The following link will give you chronological order.

http://www.terrybrooks.net/novels/reading-orders/

And just to let you know, I do read each book starting at the front and ending at the back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
When I decide to read a series I read all the books in the series that are available at that time. Non-stop. (Re-reads, too.)

Now, "decide to read it" will depend on a lot of factors: whether the series is open-ended, whether individual volumes are more or less self-contained, whether the author is actively working on the series and new volumes come out on a regular basis.
Some series (Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire) I'll wait until the project is finished and the verdict is in that the mega-novel works. (I call it my "TWIN PEAKS" rule.)

Finished narratives I'll do in one sitting.
LORD OF THE RINGS, for example, I read back-to-back-to-back. Twice in the same week.
(I was 17 and impressionable, okay?)

Ditto for Tarzan and the bulk of the ERN canon.
(Same time period.)
Once I read PRINCESS OF MARS I scavenged every volume in print and ran through the full catalog. Took six months.
Availability factored in, of course; so I read other stuff while waiting for the mail to bring in the next load. (Plus the six years that it took me to locate a set of the APACHE DEVIL/WAR CHIEF set.) But TARZAN I read all 25 volumes in a row. A very fun month.

Let's say I'm "somewhat" persistent... okay, stubborn.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-04-2013 at 05:53 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
While they do tie together, each book is a story onto itself. If you never read a Shannara book, you could just pick one if you wanted, and read it (at least, most of them).
Actually, after the first three books (and a later prequel), the vast majority of Shannara's stuff is one story-arc spread over three or four installments (the last sub-series was only two books). So... except for the three original books (and a prequel), Shannara books are most definitely NOT a "story unto themselves."

But anyway... I prefer a series of one these days, but I'll occasionally read a duology/trilogy. But a massive series with many, many installments and even sub-series within it?? Just ain't happenin' for this reader anymore.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If a series is long enough, I do read in chronological order. In fact, I've recently started reading the Shannara series in chronological order. I have read some of the Shannara books. I did start off in published order. But this time, I plan on reading the entire series in chronological order. The following link will give you chronological order.

http://www.terrybrooks.net/novels/reading-orders/
I've started at First King (just about to finish it), and then intend to read in chronological order. After that, I intend to read the Word/Void series, then the "connection" Genesis series, and I'll need to look up where the new Legend duology fits in. Actually, I strongly prefer a chronological reading order if at all possible, except for maybe a prequel. I see there are three new Shannara books forthcoming.

Njaaarghh, I'll never reach the end of it that way.

Quote:
And just to let you know, I do read each book starting at the front and ending at the back.
That's what I meant with not being funny I'd expect some people to just answer "I read it from beginning to the end one book at a time from front to back".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, after the first three books (and a later prequel), the vast majority of Shannara's stuff is one story-arc spread over three or four installments (the last sub-series was only two books). So... except for the three original books (and a prequel), Shannara books are most definitely NOT a "story unto themselves."
Are you sure? I thought only Voyage of the Jerle Shannara and The High Druid trilogies had a story arc spanned over three books. I do own the Word/Void series and the Genesis series, but haven't read them yet, and basically assumed they were separate stories. I could be wrong though. Straken is the last Shannara book I've read, and it was published in... what; 2005, 2006, so I'll take your word for it. I'll see when I get there edit: wikipedia says 2005. So it's been almost 8 years since my last Shannara/Terry Brooks book. That long? Sjees. Time flies.

Quote:
But anyway... I prefer a series of one these days, but I'll occasionally read a duology/trilogy. But a massive series with many, many installments and even sub-series within it?? Just ain't happenin' for this reader anymore.
I'll need to have a look at Terry Pratchett's 500 books long Discworld series. One of my friends keeps pestering me to "just read it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Finished narratives I'll do in one sitting.
LORD OF THE RINGS, for example, I read back-to-back-to-back. Twice in the same week.
(I was 17 and impressionable, okay?)
Lord of the Rings was my very first Fantasy novel. While I've been reading about my entire life (in Dutch, reading Dutch writers, mostly under the influence of school and/or as required reading), I basically never heard of fantasy till about 15 years ago. (Yeah. True Story.)

A friend of mine (whom I just met at school) gave me Baldur's Gate to play a short while after it was released at the end of 1998.

"You should try this."
Wow. Medieval stuff. Me like.
"That's fantasy, AD&D. Here, now read this book."
Lord of the Rings. Hm. Let's see. Fat one, that.
*read, read* Oh... my... gawd

Now, 15 years later, I'm still playing Baldur's Gate (and it's sequels, and many other Fantasy/RPG games), and still reading Fantasy novels in English, and I still re-read Lord of the Rings and other Tolkien works at least once a year. I basically dropped everything else beside Fantasy, including Dutch books from Dutch writers.

Baldur's Gate and Lord of the Rings never tire me, however often I play it or read it. After I finish, I feel like some sort of Teletubby: "Again, Again, Again!"

(I wish I could feel like that when doing something that would actually make me some money. For some reason, i never did any work or had any job where I had that feeling; the best I can do up until today is not feeling bored for 8.5 hours a day. But that is another story.)

However much I like Fantasy, I think it's time to do something else once in a while now, because I feel that I just *can't* re-read a series such as Shannara from beginning to end and not get bored.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-04-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I used to read almost no series, but that changed in the past couple of years. What usually works best for me is reading a few books in between the series books. Sometimes those in-between books might be from other series, sometimes not.

As it turns out, almost everything I've read so far this year has been series books.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I mostly read them start to finish. There are exceptions, of course, and I really could have checked an 'All of the Above' box on your poll.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
re: Pratchett, you don't have to - probably don't want to - read them all in publication order. This map gives the sub-series. for example, I love the City Watch stories, but could live without Rincewynd (or however it's spelled) and the other wizards. On the other hand, Granny Weatherwax FTW.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I like to read really good series from start to finish and in chronological order. Examples are Cornwall's Sharpe Series, Brust's Taltos Series and Modesitt's Recluce Series.
Not so great series I will read off and on until I finish them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Now, 15 years later, I'm still playing Baldur's Gate (and it's sequels, and many other Fantasy/RPG games), and still reading Fantasy novels in English, and I still re-read Lord of the Rings and other Tolkien works at least once a year.
My fantasy gaming started with the Apshai series on the 8-bit Ataris then moved to Dungeon Master of the Atari ST and then Morrowind on XBOX. Since then I've tended to favor the Bethesda and BioWare RPGs (KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon age, Oblivion, Skyrim, the new Fallouts...)

Fantasy reading I'm deemphasizing of late. Most of my reading these days is non-fiction and SF. For now I get enough fantasy from Skyrim and the Witcher.
And HBO.
Looking forward to March 31st

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-04-2013 at 07:13 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
re: Pratchett... This map gives the sub-series.
*knetter*

That was my mind boggling and my brain having a short circuit in Dutch.

Wait. I'll have to digest this. I heard Pratchett did some weird stuff, but I've never seen one of these graphs.