Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you hate un-stoppable internet ads?
Yes 75 71.43%
No 3 2.86%
What are you talking about? 27 25.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #46
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
With firefox, adblock, and flashblock, I see very few ads.

But richness of HTML5 is allowing page developers to annoy me with different types of popups and distractions. I'm waiting for a add-on to block those too. I'm sure one already exists but the annoyance hasn't yet reached my critical 'hunt' threshold.
Yeah, HTML5 is a major reason why the hosts file is becoming more and more important.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #47
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I find disabling application storage and html5 storage goes a long way to stop html5 ads, since a lot of them seem to require that there's something like a cookie already in the storage.

I love it - all these sites reporting about cookie tracking on the decline leading to improvements in privacy etc, and that it's a big blow to google/facebook/twitter; yet they've all moved on to appending referrer links, using app/html5 storage and a few other less savory methods. Cookies were the least troublesome and easiest to manage :/
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #48
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you use Firefox also look into the add-on Ghostery.

Works very well for an extra layer of 'protection'.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
But is youtube still accessible with Flashbock?
You just tell flashblock to allow Youtube.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #50
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Ugh,

I keep running into one that SAYS you can turn it off, but it keeps on running until whatever I came to see has downloaded or I stop clicking or I'm gone. I don't think av or adaware does anything for it, sigh.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #51
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
Having to maintain entries for the /etc/hosts files of my various machines seems like a nightmare to me.
I treat it as a multi-layered thing. The hosts file is good since it is portable across systems (Linux/Android and Windows) and handles most software. "Ad blockers" are nice because they go that extra miles in the web browser.

That said, I wish that I didn't have to do that. It is unfair to ad supported websites. On the other hand, bandwidth on mobile devices is expensive and advertisers aren't willing to respect that. Not only are the individual ads large, but they aren't cached. Even on the desktop, they fail to acknowledge that the form of advertising has to be appropriate to the website. If the website is visual (text or images), having audio in the advertising is a huge faux pas. If the content of the site is serious (news or research oriented), animation is distracts from the content. Add a 30 second advertisement to the top of a 5 minute video clip, and I'm okay with it. Do the same to a 2 minute video clip, and you're wasting the viewer's time. Oh, and please stop tracking me. Advertisers can target demographics based upon the content rather than the user. The former doesn't violate my sense of privacy while the latter does.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #52
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
When you watch TV or listen to the radio, you are bombarded with ads. If I can choose to easily help my brain from being washed while on the Internet, you can be sure as hell that I will. AdBlock for the win.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #53
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
When you watch TV or listen to the radio, you are bombarded with ads. If I can choose to easily help my brain from being washed while on the Internet, you can be sure as hell that I will. AdBlock for the win.
Is paying for a subscription to an internet radio station easy?

I agree that most ads are poison for the mind. Can you imagine if adblocking addons were on by default?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #54
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I agree that most ads are poison for the mind.
I think that it depends upon the medium. Print advertising can be quite informative: detailing which products/services a company offers, product features, current pricing, and other such stuff. Business websites are pretty much the same idea. Even online storefronts are advertising (analogous to the mail order catalogs of days gone by). Of course you need to balance it out with independent reviews since advertising is intrinsically biased, but at least it lets you know what's out there.

Most TV, Internet, and radio advertising is a different story though. It's mostly meant to capture minds, rather than provide information then let the consumer consciously decide. In that sense, it is poison for the mind.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #55
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Sometimes I want to see ads, like if I'm looking for a particular product or service. I just don't want ads foisted upon me when I want to read the news or listen to music.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote