Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #61
murz_07
Connoisseur
murz_07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by murz_07 View Post
Hello.
Something is still wrong with my Kindle.
I try to boot it in fastboot mode then "fastboot.exe setvar bootmode diags" and see <waiting for device>.
Why can be wrong?

And on "Kindle tree" screen now displays "amazonkindle" instead of just "Kindle". Don't know, maybe it can tell something to you. It started about the same time when Kindle stopped booting in diags mode.

Last edited by murz_07; 02-28-2012 at 10:11 AM.
murz_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #62
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Re-built Busybox with inetd enabled.

It would be better to use auFS than the posted "file overlay hack" but the kernel(s) in the Kindle(s) are too old for that.
Using auFS requires a newer kernel (a big project, even if only considering the testing that is involved) so that can wait for a later release of the "restore it" tool.
The nice thing about the method I am proposing is that you can ALWAYS to back to a "factory_fresh" set of disk images (or as close as we have to that). This makes experimentation with major firmware changes (even TOTAL replacement) much less of a problem. If you brick it, just do a "system restore" back to whatever saved firmware images you want. To help with this, I want a differential backup system, where you can restore from the last full backup, then step forward doing differential restores until you are at the backup point in time that you want. I want a GUI with a timeline slider for this, with markers for all the available restore points...

Anyway, that is what I want, even if I have to build it all myself...

I am studying how to flash large images in segments now, so we do not need the data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh step. I am hoping to provide a "One Button Solution" that will do everything for you after you decide what you want...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #63
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

And on "Kindle tree" screen now displays "amazonkindle" instead of just "Kindle". Don't know, maybe it can tell something to you. It started about the same time when Kindle stopped booting in diags mode.
I think the amazon Kindle screen is a factory reset screen. Mine did that too...
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #64
murz_07
Connoisseur

I have just tryed to boot in diags and saw the message "your battery is empty"
I plugged Kilndle into PC and after 10 minutes "kindle tree" appeared.
But I don't know is it charging after this. I don't have wall charger and can't boot in fastboot mode so how can I charge battery to be 100% sure that it's charging?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I have just tryed to boot in diags and saw the message "your battery is empty"
I plugged Kilndle into PC and after 10 minutes "kindle tree" appeared.
But I don't know is it charging after this. I don't have wall charger and can't boot in fastboot mode so how can I charge battery to be 100% sure that it's charging?
What are you charging it from?
If your charging device (PC, Laptop) has a "High Current" USB port - use that.
OR
If you have a "powered hub" use that - they often support "High Current" USB devices.

Note;
If your host computer has a "High Current" USB port - also use that while doing the communications with the Kindle - that can also make a difference.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #66
murz_07
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What are you charging it from?
If your charging device (PC, Laptop) has a "High Current" USB port - use that.
OR
If you have a "powered hub" use that - they often support "High Current" USB devices.

Note;
If your host computer has a "High Current" USB port - also use that while doing the communications with the Kindle - that can also make a difference.
No, I don't have "High Current" USB port or "powered hub".
Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #67
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
I don't have wall charger...
I just want to say: you don't need the original wall charger. Any wall charger with Micro USB could be used. For example I'm using charger for ZTE Blade.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #68
murz_07
Connoisseur

Now when I boot in fastboot mode I can see this:

"Другие устройства" = "other devices"
Where can I find some driver?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #69
geekmaster

Quote:
Now when I boot in fastboot mode I can see this:
"Другие устройства" = "other devices"
Where can I find some driver?
You do not need a driver. You can ignore that "missing device driver". fastboot talks directly to the USB port. I use the linux version of fastboot. The windows version needs to be run in a cygwin bash shell.

You can look at the details in properties for your uninstalled device. It should be x01949/0xd0d0 for fastboot mode.

The nice thing about being in fastboot mode is it does a good job recharging the battery. Leave it connected in fastboot mode to recharge it for several hours (overnight is better).

fastboot makes a good battery charger. ;-)

With a kindle fastboot tool, you can do "./fastboot getvar serial" to see your serial number. You might need to do "sudo ./fastboot getvar serial" depending on your permissions settings.

You cannot flash mmcblk0p1 from fastboot -- the image file is too big. You can flash mmcblk0p2 (diags) from fastboot, then boot to it, then copy your restore mmcblk0p1 from an image file on the usb drive using the "dd" command. Details are provide in other posts in this thread and in the "Select Boot..." thread.

I will make this process simpler in the future.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-28-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #70
murz_07
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You do not need a driver. You can ignore that "missing device driver". fastboot talks directly to the USB port. I use the linux version of fastboot. The windows version needs to be run in a cygwin bash shell.

You can look at the details in properties for your uninstalled device. It should be x01949/0xd0d0 for fastboot mode.

The nice thing about being in fastboot mode is it does a good job recharging the battery. Leave it connected in fastboot mode to recharge it for several hours (overnight is better).

fastboot makes a good battery charger. ;-)

With a kindle fastboot tool, you can do "./fastboot getvar serial" to see your serial number. You might need to do "sudo ./fastboot getvar serial" depending on your permissions settings.

You cannot flash mmcblk0p1 from fastboot -- the image file is too big. You can flash mmcblk0p2 (diags) from fastboot, then boot to it, then copy your restore mmcblk0p1 from an image file on the usb drive using the "dd" command. Details are provide in other posts in this thread and in the "Select Boot..." thread.

I will make this process simpler in the future.
But it's still <waiting for device> in Windows and Ubuntu.
I didn't understand what is "x01949/0xd0d0" and where should I see it.

Last edited by murz_07; 02-28-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #71
geekmaster

Quote:
But it's still <waiting for device> in Windows and Ubuntu.
I didn't understand what is "x01949/0xd0d0" and where should I see it.
In windows it is in the device manager properties for that device, as I mentioned. Just look at the details in one of the tabs.

In linux you can list your attached USB devices with "lsusb", which shows VID:PID in the output. It shows internal hubs as devices, so do not be confused by that.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #72
murz_07
Connoisseur

Quote:
In windows it is in the device manager properties for that device, as I mentioned. Just look at the details in one of the tabs.

In linux you can list your attached USB devices with "lsusb", which shows VID:PID in the output. It shows internal hubs as devices, so do not be confused by that.
Yes, I saw this

and I think I was supposed to see it. Thanks

But.
Really, the last thing I CAN'T UNDERSTAND: why for god's sake is fastboot <waiting for device>??

Last edited by murz_07; 02-28-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #73
geekmaster

Quote:
Yes, I saw this
and I think I was supposed to see it. Thanks

But.
Really, the last thing I CAN'T UNDERSTAND: why for god's sake is fastboot <waiting for device>??
That looks correct. <waiting for device> means your version of fastboot is not seeing the fastboot kindle. Perhaps cygwin needs a configuration setting to see USB devices. I have not used the windows version yet. I use the linux version. It works (but you need to run it as root). Perhaps the windows version needs to run as root? Did anybody get the windows version to work right? I have not tried that yet.

You could run the linux one in VirtualBox after you share the device with that VID:PID with the linux OS. In VirtualBox, hovering over the USB device in the drop down menu shows its VID:PID.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #74
murz_07
Connoisseur

Quote:
That looks correct. <waiting for device> means your version of fastboot is not seeing the fastboot kindle. Perhaps cygwin needs a configuration setting to see USB devices. I have not used the windows version yet. I use the linux version. It works (but you need to run it as root). Perhaps the windows version needs to run as root? Did anybody get the windows version to work right? I have not tried that yet.

You could run the linux one in VirtualBox after you share the device with that VID:PID with the linux OS. In VirtualBox, hovering over the USB device in the drop down menu shows its VID:PID.
And how do you boot Kindle in fastboot mode in Linux?
I boot Kindle in fastboot in Windows, reboot PC in Ubuntu and
Code:
sudo lsusb
doesn't show anything like "x01949/0xd0d0". So fastboot waiting for device like it should I suppose.

What is root in Windows?

Last edited by murz_07; 02-28-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #75
geekmaster

Quote:
And how do you boot Kindle in fastboot mode in Linux?
I boot Kindle in fastboot in Windows, reboot PC in Ubuntu and
Code:
sudo lsusb
doesn't show anything like "x01949/0xd0d0". So fastboot waiting for device like it should I suppose.

What is root in Windows?
I said in windows cygwin. maybe it has root. I don't know. I keep in installed, but I have not used it in years since I changed to keeping mutliple VMs running all the time. When I started spending most of my time in the linux VM running on windows, I changed to running windows in a VM running on linux.

Cygwin symlinks faked with shortcuts kind of sucked anyway... ;-)

About the other question, perhaps your USB port is not working, or you might have a bad usb cable. Try different stuff. lsusb should show every USB device plugged in.

The kindle 4 and 5 should show up as 0x1949:x00004 when in USB Drive mode, or 0x11949:0xdd0d0 if in fastboot mode, or 0x15a2:0x0052 if in usb downloader mode. If it is in usb networking mode, it might not show up here (not sure), but it sure will not show up in windows as a usb device that way (but a network device instead). There is also a USB serial mode, but I do not know the VID/PID for that (yet).

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-28-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Tags
kindle fastboot manifesto