Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
mavdm73
mavdm73 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Unhappy Decisions Decisions I need help

Well I have been an ereader for a little over a year and all of the books have been thru Borders. Now with the store closing, I still have my books thru the Kobo account, but I have started to purchase some from Amazon. Now all this time I have just been using the desktop app that is free and been using either my desktop or my laptop to read.

With the holiday's sales coming I am interested in getting something like either the Kindle or the Kobo that is easier for me to take with me or would it be better to just get a tablet?? My main thing would be that I would be able to access the media from both accounts regardless of what I get. I have looked at the Barnes and Noble site and I didnt like their library selection so that is not even in the running.

Please help me make the best decision , or should I just invest in a better laptop....Decisions Decisions
mavdm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
If all you want to do with the device is read, a dedicated e-reader is better as its battery life is far superior. Also most people find e-ink to be easier to look at for long periods of time than the LCD screen of a tablet.

If you intend to do web surfing, play games and watch movies a tablet is the way to go.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The only way to access books from both Kobo and Amazon is on a tablet with apps for both. (Unless you strip DRM and convert file formats).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
For reading, an eReader is way better, IMO, than any tablet or laptop. You _can_ read on a tablet or laptop. But the experience really isn't comparable to a dedicated eReader.

The issue you will have to deal with is that Kobo and Amazon/Kindle use different file formats, and both have DRM. Personally, I have ZERO problem with removing DRM to shift formats on books I've paid for. None. And the process is frankly trivial. It takes longer to describe it than to do it. So, that being said, you should simply decide on which eReader you prefer -- the Kobo Touch or any of the Kindle models. Personally, I'm still a fan of the Kindle Keyboard, but I can understand the appeal of the Touch for some people. Overall, I find the Kindle experience superior, especially the buying experience. (I buy from both Kindle and Kobo -- Kindle for all books that I can get in their US store, and Kobo for Canadian content I can't get in the US Kindle store.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Hunibal
Hunibal began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
I have the Kobo WiFi
How to remove DRM?
Hunibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunibal View Post
I have the Kobo WiFi
How to remove DRM?
Download the Adobe ePub versions (Kobo's super secret kepub format is not an option), and see Appentice Alf's Blog for what to do next. If you might ever want to convert to MOBI, then the 3rd party Calibre plugins are the way to go. They may be the simplest approach even if you don't otherwise do much with Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
mavdm73
mavdm73 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Re: Decisions decision

Thank you guys for all your help!! I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at all the different options and have decided laptop is out, the ones I was looking at are way too bulky. Since I'm mainly going to use it for the ereading, and just use my desktop for anything else, I'm thinking of going with one of the ereaders. I know there are other brands out there outside of the Kobo or Kindle but are they just as good?

Ok say I decide to go with either a Kobo or the Kindle, how would I be able to transfer the files from one format to the other? I would really hate to loose the books I got from one so I can use the other.
mavdm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
I have a Kindle, Kobo and Nook (non-touch versions) and like all three. Don't ignore the Nook Simple Touch. It's quick, has a nice looking screen and has a great feel to it.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdm73 View Post
Well I have been an ereader for a little over a year and all of the books have been thru Borders. Now with the store closing, I still have my books thru the Kobo account, but I have started to purchase some from Amazon. Now all this time I have just been using the desktop app that is free and been using either my desktop or my laptop to read.

With the holiday's sales coming I am interested in getting something like either the Kindle or the Kobo that is easier for me to take with me or would it be better to just get a tablet?? My main thing would be that I would be able to access the media from both accounts regardless of what I get. I have looked at the Barnes and Noble site and I didnt like their library selection so that is not even in the running.

Please help me make the best decision , or should I just invest in a better laptop....Decisions Decisions
Personally, I don't think a (better) laptop is an alternative.
I'm using my MacBook Air quite intensively. And it definitely has replaced my iPad and other tablets for lots of tasks. But I'd never read on MacBook Air or any other laptop.
It's as portable as a tablet, but how would you hold a laptop? Resting on your lap? Reading for hours? I can do so when browsing the web and permanently interacting. But sitting quietly for hours?

So, for reading, it's between tablets and dedicated readers imho.
Personally, I don't have any problems at all with reading on tablets.
Yes, there is more glare. But in Germany, unfortunately, I don't have to care very much about reading in the sun. Would I live in Australia and mainly be reading outside, it might be quite different...
Yes, the battery gives up way earlier. But still, a tablet typically will do for about 10 hours. More than your average laptop and usually more than enough for a single reading session.
Weight is an issue, tablets obviously are way heavier.

So, I think there mainly are 2 issues of importance:
- How long do you read per session?
- Do you want to "multitask"?
The longer you read per session (ca. >3 hours in my experience), the more comfortable a dedicated reader will be.
Personally, I'm mainly using my gadgets while traveling. And often I have to care how much luggage I take. Taking a single tablet for reading, watching movies, surfing the web, sending emails, ... can be quite an advantage.

And of course there's the issue, already raised by many others: On a tablet, you can read using various apps. You easily can switch from Kindle to Kobo to nook...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote