Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle for Mac - Amazon vs App Store

The latest version downloaded from Amazon says version is 1.6.1. If you get it from the Mac App Store, it's 1.2.3.

Any idea what the differences are?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
1.6.1 adds the the ability to maintain and sync your collections between different apps and devices. That's probably the most noteworthy (visible) difference. And I think that maybe... periodical support (subscriptions) was added sometime after 1.2.3, but I'm not positive. I don't know why the app store would be so far behind.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

And the app store version is currently the only one that works reliably on OS 10.7 Lion. I think the newer versions will work if you're updating the Kindle app, but if you're trying to get started with Kindle on Lion, you'll currently need the app store version.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ass u me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
1.6.1 adds the the ability to maintain and sync your collections between different apps and devices. That's probably the most noteworthy (visible) difference. And I think that maybe... periodical support (subscriptions) was added sometime after 1.2.3, but I'm not positive. I don't know why the app store would be so far behind.
may we assume there's no issue with 1.6.1 and 'voldemort.4.5'?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not experiencing any issues with 1.6 on Windows. I've seen a few complaints from Mac users of the registration info not "taking." They have to re-register every time they fire up K4Mac, but I have no idea how common that issue is.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ass u me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not experiencing any issues with 1.6 on Windows. I've seen a few complaints from Mac users of the registration info not "taking." They have to re-register every time they fire up K4Mac, but I have no idea how common that issue is.
then i can assume that your comments about '1.6' include '1.6.1'?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
dmin7th
dmin7th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, 3, DX, Voyage, Paperwhite 1 & 3
For me, the older App Store version works with Lion (allowing me to register, sync, and retrieve my Archive), while 1.6.1 doesn't. I had to install the older version on two of my Macs last night. They had been running 1.5 on Snow Leopard without any issues.

Last edited by dmin7th; 07-24-2011 at 06:41 PM.
dmin7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Where the devil does it store books? On Snow Leopard with 1.5 on, I was able to store my books in a directory of my choice, while they are nowhere to be found with v1.2.3 from the App store.

1.6.1 stopped working entirely on Lion (won't even register), so I cannot find my books to use within Calibre.

Last edited by EldRick; 08-01-2011 at 03:55 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

OK - here's the dope. I'm pretty annoyed with Amazon about not bothering to update their Kindle for Mac application for Lion - they have had pre-release OS-X 1.7 for months to test with, and didn't get around to it.

The very old 1.2.3 version that you can install from the Apple App Store for free does function - you can register it, and can retrieve the Amazon books you paid for.

However, the stupid program tries to hide the books, which newer versions gave up months ago. They are located in a directory which is hidden on OS-X 1.7 Lion. It is yourname/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content/
You will find the books there in .mobi (proprietary) format.

You can unhide the /Library directory using the command described here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...10704093233123

Once you can locate the book files, you can back them up without needing Amazon's approval, or import them into Calibre for library management or conversion for use with other reader devices...

Last edited by EldRick; 08-01-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist

OK - here's the dope. I'm pretty annoyed with Amazon about not bothering to update their Kindle for Mac application for Lion - they have had pre-release OS-X 1.7 for months to test with, and didn't get around to it.

The very old 1.2.3 version that you can install from the Apple App Store for free does function - you can register it, and can retrieve the Amazon books you paid for.

However, the stupid program tries to hide the books, which newer versions gave up months ago. They are located in a directory which is hidden on OS-X 1.7 Lion. It is yourname/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content/
You will find the books there in .mobi (proprietary) format.

You can unhide the /Library directory using the command described here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...10704093233123

Once you can locate the book files, you can back them up without needing Amazon's approval, or import them into Calibre for library management or conversion for use with other reader devices...
Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
EldRick
Evangelist

Sorry for the duplicate post...
Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

FYI: Direct from Amazon you can now download a Kindle for Mac 1.6.2 that seems to actually work with Lion. So you should not need the older AppStore version to get things to work under Lion anymore.

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
EldRick
Evangelist

Confirmed - Kindle for Mac v1.6.2 works on OS-X 1.7 Lion, and allows you to store your books in an accessible directory of your choice, via Preferences.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #14
waggerslees
waggerslees began at the beginning.

Device: none
1.6.2 Crashes on Snow Leopard

1.6.2 crashes on startup on my iMac. Can I get an earlier version somewhere that will work?

Process: Kindle [30881]
Path: /Applications/Kindle.app/Contents/MacOS/Kindle
Identifier: com.amazon.Kindle
Version: 1.6.2 (1.6.32849)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [144]

Date/Time: 2011-08-17 12:10:20.887 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000000f
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

System Profile:
Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
waggerslees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Amazon web site download for K4Mac is now version 1.9.2, but the Mac App Store has the latest as 1.8.1. What's going on?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote