Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
SavaDio
SavaDio has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SavaDio has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SavaDio has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Some doubts about Kobo Touch

Hello everyone. This is my first post in this forum. I live in Brasil and my father is going to be in United States next week and I´ve decided to ask him to bring me an ereader. I have two possibilities in my mind: Kobo Touch or Nook Touch.

I made my decision after reading a lot of posts in here, because Nook has a lot of restrictions outside US and because of the new improvements that Kobo is releasing with news firmwares. But i have some question and wanna see you can help me with.

a) I read that it is not so easy to find Kobo available on the stores? I can but it only in Borders and Best Buy?
B) I have the Kobo app in my Ipod Touch but i have a lot of problems with sideload books on it. I have some PDF books that were converted to EPUB and works perfectly in iBooks and Stanza, but they do not open in Kobo. The cover is blank and when a turn the page it already appers like i have finished the book. Does anyone have the same problem? Does The Kobo Touch have total compatibility with calibre converted books?
C) The warranty is worldwide or only US?

Sorry for the text being so long, and also by my gramatical errors. My english is very good to reading and listening but my writing is not so good. Sorry about that really. And thanks for you help. Hope to have my Kobo Touch in August, 10th.
SavaDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
C- only where kobo's are sold
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
C- only where kobo's are sold
Take a look at the Kobo Touch Extended Warranty.... http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_protection_plan
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Savadio,

Welcome to the forum!

A) True, but I'm not sure I understand the concern, Nook is only available through B&N as far as I know and Kindle through Target. As popular as e-readers have been I don't think any of them have made much of a splash in retail stores.

B) I have had not had issues with side-loading e-pubs with my Kobo Touch and I use calibre for non-DRM books and Adobe Digital Editions for DRM books. You do need to make sure you do disconnect the device properly from the computer, but again that would be an issue with any other device as well.

C) Don't know the answer to that one.

I have a Kindle II and an iPad. I recently bought the Kobo Touch and I've loaded all my epubs on it and I can report I have been very happy with my purchase.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The Kobo Touch is widely available in retail stores in Canada, incuding Chapters bookstores, Best Buy, Future Shop, and Walmart. The Kindle is only available in Staples, the Nook not at all of course. Que pena seu pai nao vem aqui SavaDio!

I haven't had any real problems reading sideloaded books from Calibre on the Kobo Touch, just a few very minor formatting issues. I haven't tried the Kobo app on my iPod Touch though - no real need since I have the Kobo Touch.

I don't think the international warranty is really an issue. They don't repair these things, they just swap them for a refurb. You couldn't get a replacement in Brasil anyway, so you would either have to ship it directly to Kobo for replacement, or wait until somebody could take it back to the country where you bought it and exchange it.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
SavaDio
SavaDio has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SavaDio has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SavaDio has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Thanks for the answers!!
My concern about the avaliability of KT is because i have seen some comments on twitter of people saying they are looking for KT and were not finding it to buy. But i think in the 2 weeks my father is going to be there (In Miami and New York) at least one he will find!! hehe
In Brasil is VERY hard to find this devices and if you do, its extremely expensive.. live 400 dollares or more..

But the problem in the Ipod Touch app make me feels a little scare that I buy it and it didn´t work with my books. I have more de one hundred books in portuguese, the most were PDFs files and I transform it to epub files to make it easier to ready. In iBooks they all works perfectly, but in Kobo don´t. But if guys aren´t having problems this way maybe the two systems are diferents. I will take the risk! hehehe

Thanks again for the help. When I have my Kobo Touch in hands i tell you if everything was ok!
SavaDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember that PDFs are not always the best to read on ANY eReader, and also, that converting a PDF to other formats is not the easiest.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Take a look at the Kobo Touch Extended Warranty.... http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_protection_plan
I asusme he meant the 1 year manufacturer warranty
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote