Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
ics1974
ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, Iphone 4
Kobo Touch tuning on randomly by itself

I have owned my Kobo Touch since Tuesday and no issues with update 1.9.5. I then up upgraded yesterday to 1.9.6 and noticed twice after shutting down my Kobo it turned itself back on. The first time it happened I turned it off and went back to read again after about 20 minutes and it was already turned back on. Then last night I turned it off and made sure it was off. I then went to use it today and found it was in sleep mode. So it must have turn it's self back on and then went to sleep after 15 minutes. I have my kobo locked in my desk so nobody could have turned it on. Also it's always in airplane mode so it can't be going out to get updates.
Anyone else notice this? Is it possibly a 1.9.6 issue or something wrong with my Kobo?
I have it turned off right now to see if it happens again and will report back if it happens again.

Thanks

Last edited by ics1974; 07-16-2011 at 08:32 PM.
ics1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Motto
Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
I had the same problem since the update to 1.9.6. Like you, I had not noticed it prior to the update. I assumed that it was a hardware problem and recently exchanged mine (this morning actually) for another one. Given that you are reporting the same issue, it is likely that this is a firmware issue inherent in the update. I have yet to set up my new Kobo but will report back regarding whether the behaviour continues on this model.
Motto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
ics1974
ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It just happened again. Found it in sleep mode. I have it off and timing it now to see when it happens again. Sucks you just returned yours. Let me know how the new one goes.

Last edited by ics1974; 07-16-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Do you have yours set to power off by itself?

I wonder if it is a bug, that it is turning itself on to go to sleep.

Haven't seen any issue on 1.9.6, but mine is set to sleep after 15 and then power off after 60.
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
ics1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamARobot View Post
Do you have yours set to power off by itself?

I wonder if it is a bug, that it is turning itself on to go to sleep.

Haven't seen any issue on 1.9.6, but mine is set to sleep after 15 and then power off after 60.
mine is set to power off never and set to sleep 15 mins.
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Motto
Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Well, my replacement Kobo is displaying the same behaviour. So, I think it's safe to assume this is a firmware bug. My settings were the same as ics1974. I have just changed my settings to shut off after 15 minutes and to sleep never. Maybe this will solve the problem (at least temporarily, until the next update).
Motto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
ics1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motto View Post
Well, my replacement Kobo is displaying the same behaviour. So, I think it's safe to assume this is a firmware bug. My settings were the same as ics1974. I have just changed my settings to shut off after 15 minutes and to sleep never. Maybe this will solve the problem (at least temporarily, until the next update).
hmmm. I wonder if it will still happen but then turn itself off after 15 minutes only to do it again and again? Anyways let us know if the problem goes away or not.

Last edited by ics1974; 07-16-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
ics1974

I have been trying to get mine to reproduce the problem again with no luck. Then I decided to quite and just read. Read two chapters of my book then from inside the book I turned off my Kobo. About 15 minutes later I saw it happen. The Kobo just turned on by itself and was not in standby mode. I am sure if I waited 15 minutes it would have went to standby. Anyways all the other tests I did was just turning it on and then off from the main page or going to my book and then just turning it off. Maybe you need to flip through pages then turn it off from within the book, or maybe it's just random.
The Kobo must never really truly turn off because how could a software bug turn it back on if its off. lol

Edit

Also just to note every time it happened my Kobo was in it's Roots sleeve. Not sure if that matters or not

Last edited by ics1974; 07-16-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder what happens if you put the WiFi into Airplane mode?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I just noticed the same behavior (Kobo Touch turned itself on) and decided to check and see if anybody else was having the same experience.

I have also had three factory resets in the last week and a half due to internal memory problems. Needless to say I'm not real happy right now.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I just noticed the same behavior (Kobo Touch turned itself on) and decided to check and see if anybody else was having the same experience.

I have also had three factory resets in the last week and a half due to internal memory problems. Needless to say I'm not real happy right now.
some on here had the same problem it was linked to newspaper subscriptions? At any rate its here in the forums I cant recall exactly what the thread was called but it seemed to be an easy fix.

regards
jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #12
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
some on here had the same problem it was linked to newspaper subscriptions? At any rate its here in the forums I cant recall exactly what the thread was called but it seemed to be an easy fix.

regards
jack
We don't support autowake for newspapers at the moment on Kobo Touch. Kobo Wifi had this functionality.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
some on here had the same problem it was linked to newspaper subscriptions? At any rate its here in the forums I cant recall exactly what the thread was called but it seemed to be an easy fix
No - not currently subscribed to any newspapers or magazines. I started a separate thread on the factory reset problem and it may be related to problems I have had unmounting Kobo after downloading files from calibre.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
DanVer
DanVer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've had the same problem. The KT would turn on and go into sleep mode after it had been shut off. This only happened after installing the 1.9.6 firmware. I believe it has something to do with the sleep mode settings. After changing the sleep settings from 15 minutes to never, the problem has not returned.
DanVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
ics1974

when I change my sleep mode to never it also changes the shutdown to never as well. Is this normal?