Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
Hi and Suggestions for Reader

Hi from Michigan. I am new to e-readers & new to this forum. I want to purchase an e-reader & do not know where to start. I just finished re-reading all of my hard cover books & donated them to the local library. I would like to purchase a reader that allows me to purchase e-books from different sites (not dedicated to one site) & I load free e-books to my computer from the local library & would like to load them into a reader. Please help with suggestions on how to start searching for the e-reader to fit my needs. Also--love this site.
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well the most important thing is to define what you are looking for in terms of a reader of which you have stated that you do not want one that is prorietary, and most of them are proprietary however there are a few that that multiple loyalties. Such as the Kobo which can read books from Kobo Books and Borders books and the Jet Book Lite which has the added advantage that it can read the widest number of formats available, no one can come close. Another thing to do if you don't want a proptietary reader is if you have a smart phone already such as a blackberry, an Android base phone or an iphone, many electronic book stores such as (amazon, Barns and Nobels, Mobipocket, borders and Overdrive Libraries) make available for free reader software that can read their books on your smart phone. Your smart phone is loyal to anyone that will get you a free reader adn therefore has no loyalties at all.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ....

May I invite you to follow two of the links in my signature - One goes to a matrix of all the readers on the market, and the other to a forum specifically for questions such as your own.

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Sandy. Download free Calibre Library software (http://www.calibre-ebook.com) and shop, save and catalogue wherever and whatever you like. Check out the devices, though. Kindle, for instance, uses only Amazon's own Mobi format, and this restricts you. My advice would be a device (good hardware but forget the software because there's none better than Calibre) and play the ePub field. Good luck and very best wishes. Neil

PS: It's considered bad form here to recommend a specific device. So I will NOT recommend the superlative Sony range. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi travelingsandy and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thank you for the welcomes and suggestions for websites & reader matrix (someone put in a great deal of work)--I am trying to print it for a quick review.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsandy View Post
print
OH NO, more dead trees

(it's getting late in good ol' Germany, don't take it too serious)
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

You're right bear4hunter; I decided just to study the matrix (not print) and do some internet searching on a few brands that look interesting. I am leaning towards Sony PRS900, now all I have to do is find a good price. Still looking @ reviews, etc.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Hi travelingsandy, welcome to MobileRead.

A nice first factor to consider regarding which ereader to buy is whether you wish to optimize long-run reading experience or apps and games and web browsing. It's a cut of the space of possibilities that's often easy to make, and it narrows the possibilities nicely. (There's no run-away favorite that handles both sides of that factor.)

Most people seem to favor the E Ink ereaders (Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, etc), especially those based on the latest version, Pearl, for long-run reading. The LCD-based ereaders (iPad, Nook Color, etc) shine for web browsing and apps and games.

There's lots more to consider, but the reading-vs-apps dimension can really help as a first cut to narrow the field.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote