Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Sony Reader hacks collection

I thought it was time to bring all hacks together in one topic because I don't know about you guys but I was really losing overview.

Please use Bob Russell's instructions how to use the hacks.

Usage of all hacks is at your own risk!

There are two types of files here. There is applicationStart.xml and main.xml. You could use either one or a combination of two. The hacks that need the two files together to function will come with both modified files.

applicationStart goes here:
\files\opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\applic ationStart.xml

main.xml goes here:
\files\opt\sony\ebook\application\resources\script s\main.xml

Please don't hesitate to ask if you feel not sure about what you're doing.

So here we go.

Hack includes: Joystick (right and left) page flip.
Lose function: Joystick (right and left) history.
File: applicationStart.xml
Hack by: diabloNL
Download file: 1.zip
Comments: None

Hack includes: Smaller fonts in menu's, bookmarks, history and TOC. Clock in statusbar.
Lose function: None
File: main.xml
Hack by: diabloNL (smaller fonts) Shade (clock)
Download file: 2.zip

Hack includes: Joystick (up and down) history function. Clock in status bar.
Lose function: Link navigation inside books.
Hack by: diabloNL (joystick) Shade (clock)
Download file: 3.zip
Comments: Hack done in main.xml and not in applicationStart.xml to prevent losing menu up and down navigation as well.

Hack includes: Numeric keys 0-9 locked inside book. Clock in status bar.
Lose function: Percentage page jump inside book with numeric keys.
Hack by: diabloNL (numeric key lock) Shade (clock)
Download file: 4.zip

Hack includes: Joystick (right and left) page flip. Volume hold "-" for history back and volume hold "+" for history forward.
Lose function: Joystick (right and left) history. Mute function for MP3 player.
Hack by: diabloNL (joystick) Bob Russell (volume buttons history)
Download file: 5.zip

Hack includes: Direct page control inside books. Clock in status bar.
Lose function: Percentage page jump inside book with numeric keys. Ten pages jump when holding next and previous button.
Hack by: diabloNL (direct page control) Shade (clock)
Download file: 6.zip

Hack includes: Direct page control inside books. Smaller fonts in menu's, bookmarks, history and TOC. Clock in status bar.
Lose function: Percentage page jump inside book with numeric keys. Ten pages jump when holding next and previous button.
Hack by: diabloNL (direct page control) Shade (clock) JSWolf (smaller fonts)
Download file: 7.zip

Hack includes: Direct page control inside books. Smaller fonts in menu's, bookmarks, history and TOC. Total pages counter inside book. Reset by connecting the charger or USB cable. Clock in status bar.
Hack by: diabloNL (direct page control, smaller fonts and total pages counter) Shade (clock)
Download file: 8.zip

Hack includes: Direct page control inside books. Smaller fonts in menu's, bookmarks, history and TOC. Total pages counter inside book and menu's. Reset by "ENTER" press in about screen. Clock in status bar.
Hack by: diabloNL (direct page control, smaller fonts and total pages counter) Shade (clock)
Download file: 9.zip

Hack includes: Total pages counter inside book. Reset by "ENTER" press in about screen. Clock in status bar.
Hack by: diabloNL (total pages counter) Shade (clock)
Download file: 10.zip

Hack includes: Joystick (right and left) page flip. Circular page flip button becomes history back and forward. Page flip function with circular button still available by holding it down.
Lose function: Function of direct page control hack (use small page flip buttons) and ten pages jump inside books with circular and small buttons.
Download file: 11.zip

Hack includes: Total pages counter inside book. Reset by connecting the charger or USB cable. Clock in status bar.
Download file: 12.zip

Hack includes: Total pages counter inside book and menu's. Reset by "ENTER" press in about screen. Clock in status bar.
Download file: 13.zip

Hack includes: Joystick (right and left) page flip. Circular page flip button becomes history back and forward when holding down the circular button.
Lose function: Function of direct page control hack (use small page flip buttons) and ten pages jump inside books with circular and small buttons.
Hack by: diabloNL (joystick) Leaping Gnome (history)
Download file: 14.zip

Hack includes: New icon set.
Lose function: Old icon set.
File: kBookIcon.png
Download file: 15.zip
Comments: This will give your Reader a new look! Please check this topic for instructions how to install an some screen shots.

Hack includes: Direct page control inside books. Smaller fonts in menu's, bookmarks, history and TOC. Total pages counter inside book and menu's. Reset by "ENTER" press in about screen. Joystick (right and left) page flip. Circular page flip button becomes history back and forward. Page flip function with circular button still available by holding it down. Volume "+" and "-" flip ten pages forward and back. Clock in status bar.
Lose function: Percentage page jump inside book with numeric keys. Ten pages jump when holding next and previous button. Function of direct page control hack (use small page flip buttons) and ten pages jump inside books with circular and small buttons.
File: main.xml and applicationStart.xml
Hack by: diabloNL (joystick, volume page flip, direct page control, smaller fonts and total pages counter) Shade (clock)
Download file: 16.zip
Comments: Thanks to ns66 to give me a solution to the problem I had. This hack has both the main.xml and applicationStart.xml file. So all your current hacks will be replaced with this one.

Hack includes: Joystick (right and left) page flip. Selectable up and down function for joystick to switch between link and history function. Clock in status bar.
Lose function: Landscape mode inside book.
File: main.xml and applicationStart.xml
Hack by: diabloNL (joystick) Shade (clock)
Download file: 17.zip
Comments: This hack has both the main.xml and applicationStart.xml file. So all your current hacks will be replaced with this one. Inside a book the default will be link navigation with the joystick up and down (the letter "L" will be showed next to the page count). To select history mode hold the size button for a few seconds until the message "History nav. is on." appears in the status bar. After the first page flip the message will disappear and it will show the letter "H" to indicate it's in history mode. To go back hold the size button.

Hack includes: Direct page control in books, menu, TOC, bookmarks and history. Clock in status bar.
Lose function: Percentage page jump inside book with numeric keys. Numeric access in menu, TOC, bookmarks and history. Ten pages jump when holding next and previous button.
Hack by: diabloNL (direct page control) Shade (clock)
Download file: 18.zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1.zip (1.2 KB, 2147 views)
File Type: zip 2.zip (7.0 KB, 2077 views)
File Type: zip 3.zip (7.0 KB, 1916 views)
File Type: zip 4.zip (6.9 KB, 1933 views)
File Type: zip 5.zip (1.2 KB, 2092 views)
File Type: zip 6.zip (7.4 KB, 1915 views)
File Type: zip 7.zip (7.4 KB, 1842 views)
File Type: zip 8.zip (7.4 KB, 1892 views)
File Type: zip 9.zip (7.4 KB, 1993 views)
File Type: zip 10.zip (7.0 KB, 1848 views)
File Type: zip 11.zip (1.2 KB, 1852 views)
File Type: zip 12.zip (7.0 KB, 1911 views)
File Type: zip 13.zip (7.0 KB, 1882 views)
File Type: zip 14.zip (1.2 KB, 1896 views)
File Type: zip 15.zip (45.7 KB, 2494 views)
File Type: zip 16.zip (8.6 KB, 2112 views)
File Type: zip 17.zip (8.4 KB, 2063 views)
File Type: zip 18.zip (7.5 KB, 1898 views)

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-16-2007 at 06:17 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wow! That is some post. Thank you so much! That really helps big time!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Thanks! It was a lot of work because I double checked all info and inside the files if everything is correct.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good idea. better then trying to figure out what's what from the threads which at times can be hard to do.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've said it before, diabloNL, you ROCK!

I just got around to doing the firmware update a few minutes ago (the joys of moving, don't you know), and I was looking to re-install the clock and jogstick page turners I had before. I was thinking I might add the smaller fonts and the direct page control as well, and lo and behold, there it is: #6 with just minor tweaking needed to get the jogstick working the way I want.

I'll say it again: you ROCK!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
This is a great post. I have hack #9 plus the new theme (by diabloNL, of course).
Does it make sense to add the theme to this list?
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Nice, Diablo!

This might be enough to make my idea mere icing on the cake now. Mmmm, cake.

I'll keep trying though!
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
This is a great post. I have hack #9 plus the new theme (by diabloNL, of course).
Actually, that's a very good idea.

Diablo, can you make it so that holind the volume up goes forward 10 pages and holding the volume down goes back ten pages. I do not listen to mp3 with the reader, but would like the ten pages forward/back if that's possible. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, that's a very good idea.

Diablo, can you make it so that holind the volume up goes forward 10 pages and holding the volume down goes back ten pages. I do not listen to mp3 with the reader, but would like the ten pages forward/back if that's possible. Thanks!

Yes that's possible. Pick a number from the above menu and I will integrate it in there. Let me guess...number 9?
Old 08-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
Good idea. Done!
Old 08-15-2007, 01:03 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Yes that's possible. Pick a number from the above menu and I will integrate it in there. Let me guess...number 9?
Number 9. Number 9. Number 9. Number 9. — The Beatles

Sounds like its the one. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Great post, DiabloNL! Very very useful information in one place. Kudos!!!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Thank you diabloNL!
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Number 9. Number 9. Number 9. Number 9. — The Beatles

Sounds like its the one. Thanks!

I have to get back to you on this one Jon. I thought the volume button worked different but now I see that the holding the volume + and - both do the exact same command (doMute). So to create history back and forward with that one function that listens if the button is pressed is a little hard to do.

The boolean key for + and - is different (0x40 and 0x41) but right know I have no idea how to listen for a pressed button other than the numeric keys by listening to their key instead of their function. This is one I have to try and find out. Could be very useful for another hack that has been sitting on my computer to be finished a while now but has a similar problem.

I will keep you posted!

EDIT: I can make it with the normal volume buttons because they use two functions. Let me know if you would like that for now.

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-15-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
I'm still trying to get the hang of the way things are set up in the reader (I got a nice infinite loop last night), but couldn't you create a stub function to replace one of the mutes in applicationstart and then add the functionality in main by overriding that function?

I'm doing something similar with my testing where I override doLeft and doRight in main.xml to produce the joystick page flip functionality there, instead of remapping it in applicationStart. The only difference is that I'm relying on their built-in functions.

I'm at work without my reader, or else I'd try to make that work myself, instead of posting these pseudounderstandable theories.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote