Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #706
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I tried to pack an Omnigraffle file. On the 'Explorer' (or whatever it's called in Mac OS X) it only showed one file.
It might be a package... many mac apps store stuff in packages.

Quote:
As I wasn't willing to pay 40 USD for a compression program i was playing around with a Unix tool (installed with fink) and that was the horror. And as I got the impression you have to pay extra for every Mac OS X program that wasn't included in the OS I quickly moved on.
Zip is built into OS X... and there are plenty of freely available Mac apps. That said, most Mac apps, like Omnigraffel, blow away windows counterparts (like visio) and are much cheaper.

But, to each his own.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:15 AM   #707
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Sorry to have started a Windows-Mac miniwar. My point wasn't Windows vs Mac, but Windows vs user.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #708
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
You have disabled 'showing file extensions' in Windows (check Explorer Options) so it always attaches a .txt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
It's not you doing something stupid. It is the typical Windows stupidity.
Thanks joblack - that's better!

Thanks for the kind words pietvo - although I really should have known that.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 AM   #709
mutant
mutant began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which format is easiet to crack:

ePub for Digital Editions
PDF for Digital Editions
Mobipocket Reader
Microsoft Reader
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 AM   #710
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I tried to pack an Omnigraffle file. On the 'Explorer' (or whatever it's called in Mac OS X) it only showed one file. As I wasn't willing to pay 40 USD for a compression program i was playing around with a Unix tool (installed with fink) and that was the horror.
Right-click (or control-click) on the file in Finder. Select "compress <filename>". You now have a zip file as well as the original. Or if you must drop to the command like, zip is built-in there too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #711
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post

PDF for Digital Editions
Mobipocket Reader
Microsoft Reader
They're all much the same. ePub usually has better source files (better formatting, bigger graphics), so if it wasn't for the fact that I mostly read on a Kindle, ADE ePub would be my format of choice. As it is, I usually buy the Mobipocket, as then I don't need to format convert, just strip the DRM.

For people on Windows/Internet Explorer, possibly Microsoft Reader is the easiest to strip. But downloading it is impossible if you're not using Windows/IE.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-02-2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #712
mutant
mutant began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
They're all much the same. ePub usually has better source files (better formatting, bigger graphics), so if it wasn't for the fact that I mostly reader on a Kindle, ADE ePub would be my format of choice. As it is, I usually buy the Mobipocket, as then I don't need to format convert, just strip the DRM.

For people on Windows/Internet Explorer, possibly Microsoft Reader is the easiest to strip. But downloading it is impossible if you're not using Windows/IE.
Thanks Pdurrant for the clarification.
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #713
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Sorry to have started a Windows-Mac miniwar. My point wasn't Windows vs Mac, but Windows vs user.
I wasn't interpreting it that way just showing that Mac OS X has these odities as well.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #714
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Right-click (or control-click) on the file in Finder. Select "compress <filename>". You now have a zip file as well as the original. Or if you must drop to the command like, zip is built-in there too.
It was before Snow Leopard and I hadn't found the compression option (I may have tried the right mouse button).
Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #715
joblack
Wizard

Quote:

PDF for Digital Editions
Mobipocket Reader
Microsoft Reader
This questions aren't formulated right. You don't crack the format you crack the drm attached to the format.

All of these are broken so far. Microsoft Reader isn't used as far as I can see.

Last edited by joblack; 03-02-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #716
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

PDF for Digital Editions
Mobipocket Reader
Microsoft Reader
The easiest are now the DRM schemes that have .pyw scripts to circumvent them. These include Adobe ePub and PDF (PDF is harder in that a few PDFs still fail) and Kindle for PC.

If you use Calibre, recent versions of the mobidedrm.py script can be used as a pre-processing plugin for MOBI. So once you get it working, Calibre handles DRMed MOBIs just like DRM-free MOBIs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #717
skinticket
skinticket began at the beginning.

hey guys... i downloaded an ebook for my class and installed it on the wrong computer and didn't register the adobe digital edition... so i assumed it was stuck on that computer. i deleted the newer version of ade and got 7.1, deleted the registry stuff and delete the folder in my documents and tried making this work with ineptkey 4.3 and ineptpdf 7.3 but i keep getting the error "Error: problem decrypting session key". What am i doing wrong? D:
skinticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #718
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
The error indicates that you are using the wrong Adobe ID. You can use the ebook only with the original Adobe ID on which you downloaded it. It doesn't matter whether you have ADE 1.7.1 or 1.7.2. Also it doesn't matter which computer as long as it has ADE registered to the same Adobe ID.

If you had ADE on the original computer not tied to an Adobe ID but anonymous, I think I have read on Adobe's website that you can authorize it on an Adobe ID and then your downloaded books will be converted to that ID. Otherwise you can try to re-download the book with the correct Adobe ID.

Last edited by pietvo; 03-03-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: spelling errors
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #719
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinticket View Post
hey guys... i downloaded an ebook for my class and installed it on the wrong computer and didn't register the adobe digital edition... so i assumed it was stuck on that computer. i deleted the newer version of ade and got 7.1, deleted the registry stuff and delete the folder in my documents and tried making this work with ineptkey 4.3 and ineptpdf 7.3 but i keep getting the error "Error: problem decrypting session key". What am i doing wrong? D:
What you did wrong first was not registering the copy of Adobe Digital Editions before downloading your book. That tied the DRM to that particular installation, rather than to your Adobe ID.

Your second mistake was to delete the installation of ADE on the computer, since that was the copy that contained the key to decrypt your book.

I don't know how ADE chooses a DRM key without an Adobe ID. If it involves a random number generator, then there's no-way you'll decode that book. If it depends on the computer hardware, it's possible that re-installing ADE on the original computer and not registering an ID would allow you to read the book again.

If you do manage to get into a state where you can read the book with ADE, the current 'inept' scripts should allow you to remove the DRM

If you can't get the book to display with any ADE installaton, you'll have to ask your supplier very nicely to allow you to download it again to a new installation of ADE (and don't forget to register it with tyour Adobe ID first!). Since this will cost them money*, ask them very, very nicely.

Best of luck.

*Adobe charges a small few for every encryption with the Adobe Adept DRM scheme. It's currently £0.11 + VAT for a non-expiring certificate. As far as I can tell, the only way to see this price is to actually click on the "buy now" button on the Adobe Content Server product page. http://www.adobe.com/products/contentserver/
Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #720
joblack
Wizard

update

• update to ineptpdf 7.4 and automated ineptpdf (aineptpdf) 7.4

Thanks to the usual suspects.