Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Question Thriller recommendations for Australian readers?

Can anyone help me? I’m looking for recommendations for PDB ebooks in the mystery/detective or thriller/suspense genres available to Australian readers. I used to buy all my books from ereader.com until geographical restrictions came into being. I still have a couple of ebooks left on my bookshelf but they won’t last long. Many thanks.

Vicki Tyley
Thin Blood
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Have you tried Smashwords? They have some great books from new authors at reasonable prices.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Katti's Cat. Yes, I have a number of Smashword's novels in my collection. I actually have one of my own novels, Thin Blood (currently free to MR members), up on Smashwords.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I read this post before I actually got your book

I have similar problems getting books. I try around a little bit with the bookshops recommended here. I found that the Travelcard from my bank preloaded with US$ helps with some of them. But I am sure even that door will be closed shortly.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
alvico
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
I read this post before I actually got your book

I have similar problems getting books. I try around a little bit with the bookshops recommended here. I found that the Travelcard from my bank preloaded with US$ helps with some of them. But I am sure even that door will be closed shortly.
Yes, they're closing all the loopholes and making it even more difficult. If I hear of any workarounds, I'll let you know.

Cheers
Vicki
Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I refuse to jump through hoops to get the books I want. I won't say I live in USA, when I don't. I also won't 'hidemyass' just to get books they won't sell to me anyway... I think if we all stopped playing their games, they'd loose a lot of sales...

Back to Topic: I get a lot of books from Smashwords (including yours, Vicki). I go by the recommendations on here as well as using their search feature.

There are also a lot of beautifully formatted book in all genres here
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I refuse to jump through hoops to get the books I want. I won't say I live in USA, when I don't. I also won't 'hidemyass' just to get books they won't sell to me anyway... I think if we all stopped playing their games, they'd loose a lot of sales...
Basically I agree with you. However, I also refuse to pay the exorbant prices we are getting charged for the eBooks here in Oz - might as well stick to hardcopies.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
alvico
Addict

I agree, yet I so resent not being able to buy the ebook version (and at a reasonable price) of a hard copy of novels by my favourite writers. Unless I'm on holiday, I only read ebooks. My man gets grumpy is I leave the light on when I'm reading in bed. No problem with ebooks...
Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
Bill Clem
Bill Clem began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Any Bill Clem books.
Bill Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Karen Rose Stephen Hunter Micropay at Fictionwise gets around most restrictions with a bit of fiddling. When you live along way from the nearest book shop and post office ebooks are the only alternative for us addicts.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
alvico
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clem View Post
Any Bill Clem books.
Thanks, Bill . I've just downloaded Bliss. The synopsis sounds intriguing and I like your writing style.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
alvico
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkers View Post
Karen Rose Stephen Hunter Micropay at Fictionwise gets around most restrictions with a bit of fiddling. When you live along way from the nearest book shop and post office ebooks are the only alternative for us addicts.
Please tell me more about getting around Fictionwise. Like you, I'm addict who lives in the woop woops.

Thanks for the Karen Rose and Stephen Hunter recommendations. I knew of Rose but not Hunter.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #13
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Vicky,
Buy micropay dollars. Then go into your details, change country to US. Then go back and buy books. Seems to work for all publishers except Random House.
Nik.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #14
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Basically I agree with you. However, I also refuse to pay the exorbant prices we are getting charged for the eBooks here in Oz - might as well stick to hardcopies.
Before I got my Palm, I had so many books, that it made moving very difficult. I would rather pay for an e-book than for a hardback. I do collect paper books from the Folio Society, but for general reading it's e-books, and have been for the last 5-6 years.

My Hanvon has got 2100 ebooks preloaded.

Last edited by lene1949; 01-19-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Adding
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:23 AM   #15
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Before I got my Palm, I had so many books, that it made moving very difficult. I would rather pay for an e-book than for a hardback. I do collect paper books from the Folio Society, but for general reading it's e-books, and have been for the last 5-6 years.

My Hanvon has got 2100 ebooks preloaded.
Yes, I know what you are saying. I have also moved heaps and the books have always been a pain. Especially when I moved from Germany and had to leave heaps of books behind. Still, I love my pBooks and love browsing through them. Books and artwork are always the first thing to be unpacked when I move.