Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Baen e-books now available from B&N

After the deals Baen made with Amazon and Sony I was waiting for the announcement about a deal with B&N, now and then checking for some of my favorite Baen authors on B&N.
Today checking some Baen authors I looks like all Baen e-books are now available from B&N.

I do not know if I just missed the announcement about this? Or if this is a very recent deal? Or has there been no announcement at all?

Now I can add my favourite Baen authors to my B&N library, no sideloading needed anymore!
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have always bought my Baen Authors from Baen. I especially like supporting them directly since they have done more to support ebooks than any other mainline publisher.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
They also now seem to be available at B&N's UK nook store.

I'll still buy mine from the Baen ebook web store. But it's good for Baen to get exposure to readers who don't want to shop at another ebook store, or don't know about it (yet).
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If you're buying single books, buying from BAEN gives more money to the author.
If you buy the bundles, you get lower prices.
Either way, you get the books in multi-format.
Not much to debate there.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I've been buying from Baen for more than 10 years but have recently noticed that sometimes the prices are lower on Amazon so I now check prices on both before buying. Given a choice, I prefer to buy directly from Baen.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Most people that own an e-reader that is tied to an E-book store probably do not sideload e-books from other stores (or even know that is possible).
I have noticed myself that since buying my first Nook e-reader I have been buying less and less books from Baen, because there are so many ebooks already available on my Nook (or just a few mouseclicks away from buying and downloading from the B&N store).

So I think it is a good thing for Baen (and Baen authors) that their books are now available at popular E-book stores like Kindle, B&N and Sony.

The whole E-book world has changed a lot since the time Fictionwise and Baen were the main suppliers of my e-books, and all books had to be sideloaded.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
In addition to all the (basically lazy) reasons to buy Baen eBooks from Amazon, there is actually one very good reason to do so -- WhisperSync for Voice, and the deals that come with it. For many Baen books, this means the Audible book is very cheap - ~$2.99 or less. But more importantly, the eBook and Audio Book work together, allowing you to go back and forth without losing your place. Or, if you have a Kindle Fire, you can do "total immersion" reading, with the audio book being read out loud as you read the eBook.

That being said, I still prefer to get my Baen books from Baen, in the hope and expectation that the authors actually get more of the proceeds, though I don't actually know that for fact. But I have resorted to buying a few from Amazon to enable a really good deal on the Audible book.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Good news for Baen. More exposure for them. I wonder if Baen books will ever be available to buy on the Kobo store.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have always bought my Baen Authors from Baen. I especially like supporting them directly since they have done more to support ebooks than any other mainline publisher.
Apache

I am lucky to have gorged on what I was interested in long before the Free Library went on a diet (many were already in my dead tree Library)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even though the Baen Free Library has been severely cut back, there are still a large number of Baen ebooks available on the free BaenCDs but finding and accessing them is a little harder than it used to be. As of last December, Baen requested that the sharing sites such as Fifth Imperium stop allowing downloads of individual titles and only offer the complete cd's.

These are not pirated copies. These cd's were all originally released as companions to various dtb editions and Baen granted permission to share them for non-commercial purposes.

Here's the link to the download site: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

And here's an annotated list of the contents on the cd's: http://www.allensmith.net/SciFi/Baen/Free.htm

For those who aren't aware of the enormous role Baen played as a pioneer in the ebook field, here's a quote summarizing their history which recently appeared in the Good e-Reader blog: "Baen was one of the pioneers in electronic publishing, starting with a BBS and then with a website and chat room. The company then adopted ebooks, making it one of the earliest proponents of the medium. All Baen books were, and still are, DRM-free. In another first, Baen started Webscriptions, which were serialized versions of its books at reduced prices, which were sold 3 months in advance of print publications. Baen again was a pioneer when it introduced promotional CD-ROMs, which could be purchased or downloaded for free, containing all of an author’s works. If you can think of an innovative way to distribute ebooks, Baen probably did it first."

Last edited by jscarbo; 10-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
They appear to have some 600+ books over at Amazon, 30 of which are free.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
jscarbo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
They appear to have some 600+ books over at Amazon, 30 of which are free.
To the best of my knowledge, the entire Baen ebooks catalog is now available on Amazon except for ARC's and omnibus editions. Those are still only sold directly from the Baen ebook website.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are a few oddities that haven't made it to Amazon yet. All older books, and I'm not actually sure why. But you can spot them on the Baen site because they're still priced at the old price of $4.00. I suspect there's some sort of permissions issue that doesn't let them sell them except on the Baen site. But there really are only a few.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
There are a few oddities that haven't made it to Amazon yet. All older books, and I'm not actually sure why. But you can spot them on the Baen site because they're still priced at the old price of $4.00. I suspect there's some sort of permissions issue that doesn't let them sell them except on the Baen site. But there really are only a few.
Baen isn't the publisher for all the ebooks on their website.
Their ebookstore carries titles from other publishers; some it's because the author retains ebook rights and the other publisher holds print rights.
In at least one occasion, the monthly bundle was used to distribute an optional book, effectively a free promo.
They're open-minded and flexible.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-26-2013 at 12:47 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Very true, though the books I was referring to were at least apparently Baen books. I'll have to try to find one or two of them and see if my memory is accurate.