Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I suggest you look around or call MS and ask to buy or add on the 3 copy option for about $15 more.
The problems will come later with the updating.
Thanks frahse. I'll check into that.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

more ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
+1 I use several portable apps. I have them installed locally, but on a separate partition. Keeps things nice and orderly on my hard drive. I keep them backed up (with Synctoy) to a flash drive that I can unplug and take with me to any computer.

I got mine through the HUP as well. I do love Office, but I wouldn't have it if I'd had to pay full price. Not when there are other options like Glen mentioned. It would be hard to part with OneNote, though. Love my OneNote.
Just curious. What's the "+1" refer to? And what's "OneNote"?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
+1 just means "I support / agree with what I just quoted". Internet shorthand.

OneNote is part of the full version of office. Info here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/ Kind of along the same lines as Evernote, a free program that does similar things. You can use it to collect and organize information, make outlines, that sort of thing.

I use it to compile policy documents and training materials, which I then export to Publisher (also part of Office) for formatting.

I don't use it for writing projects, though. I use the features in Scrivener for that.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I'm so used to using Word, I'd be hesitant to use O.O. or L.O.. I end up using Sigil so I'd be interested to know if O.O. and L.O. are compatible with Sigil. What's your opinion of them in general, esp. compared to Word?
I like and use LibreOffice and have used Open Office up until about a month ago. The User interface is different from Word, but nothing so different that a moderately intelligent person can't become reasonably productive within a few minutes of use.

I chose to switch to LO because I liked the UI a bit better and it seemed a bit snappier in performance. But OO is just fine and now that Apache is managing OO development, I think we will see real progress in keeping it current.

I don't use Sigil, so I don't know what it's compatibility requirements are. However both OO and LO can save in several flavors of the following text file formats, odf, xml, doc, docx,rtf, txt. They say LO is more compatible with Word, but I've never noticed any sort of difference. Maybe I'm not too particular, I don't know.

Since both LO and OO are free for both personal and commercial use, you have no costs associated for an extended trial. Even if you decide to stay with MS Office, you win by trying them out, since at least you will know if they are for you or not.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just curious. What's the "+1" refer to? And what's "OneNote"?
OneNote is a notes database application. It allows you to take notes and store them for quick and easy retrieval.

I've found ZIM desktop Wiki to be a similar application. It is OpenSource and as such it is free for both personal and commercial use.

Tomboy is another popular open source note taking application, but I prefer Zim for Windows, but Zim is not available for Unbutu Linux in an easy to install format, (so when I'm using Unbutu, Zim is not available).

Edit: By coincidence, I have just discovered ZIM IS available for Unbutu. If you go to the Unbutu Software Center, you will find it filed under Accessories and not under Office

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-27-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I'm so used to using Word, I'd be hesitant to use O.O. or L.O.. I end up using Sigil so I'd be interested to know if O.O. and L.O. are compatible with Sigil. What's your opinion of them in general, esp. compared to Word?
There is an extension/plug-in Writer2xhtml that will allow you to export from OpenOffice or LibreOffice to EPub - which you can then open in Sigil for a final tidy-up. Writer2xhtml does a very good job of producing a fairly clean epub, but like all office software, there's generally some invisible detritus in there that I like to eliminate (and I'm also obsessive about other things ).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope after you get done using Word, that you do take the time to clean your ePub of Word's mess.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope after you get done using Word, that you do take the time to clean your ePub of Word's mess.
Wolfie, Wolfie, Wolfie, my fave curmudgeon:

LORD! Really, you gotta get off that pony. Word's built-in styles are naught more than a GUI for CSS. That's it. That's Word's big secret. If someone pays ANY attention at all to using Word's styles, the resulting document is 5-mins of clean-up, pre-export, if that. Export, nuke the big old internal SS at the top of the html page, and slap in your own stylesheet. That's it.

Trust me, we see everything under the Sun here; LO, OO, Wordperfect, cobbled-together HTML, PDF's, faux-Word files exported from Acrobat (the WORST, period), and everything else, and a Word file created by someone who actually bothered to learn how to use it is the cleanest thing out there. Throw in the document NavMap and you can almost export directly to Sigil for epub-making.

You know I do this for a living, and I wouldn't even think twice about using Word to create a manuscript that I was going to subsequently turn into an ePUB. Even cruddy manuscripts can usually be cleaned up with some Regex. Obviously, YMMV, but it's not the program: it's the user. If someone bangs along using Ad Hoc styles, well, yeah, you're gonna get cruft. Someone tries to "convert" a PDF with Adobe Acrobat into Word, worse cruft, but that's Adobe, not Word. Someone invests 20 minutes in taking MS' online tutorial on styles? You're practically home-free on conversion. I mean it.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Throw in the document NavMap and you can almost export directly to Sigil for epub-making.

Someone invests 20 minutes in taking MS' online tutorial on styles? You're practically home-free on conversion. I mean it.

Hitch
Hitch, Doesn't the document NavMap get in there automatically somehow when you put the Word doc (via turning it into .html) into Sigil? (If not, how do I "throw it in there"?) (You "threw" me with this.)

Got a link for the MS online tutorial on styles? (I'm using MS Office Word 2003, if that matters.)

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #25
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
+1 just means "I support / agree with what I just quoted". Internet shorthand.

OneNote is part of the full version of office. Info here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/ Kind of along the same lines as Evernote, a free program that does similar things. You can use it to collect and organize information, make outlines, that sort of thing.

I use it to compile policy documents and training materials, which I then export to Publisher (also part of Office) for formatting.

I don't use it for writing projects, though. I use the features in Scrivener for that.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #26
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

great explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I like and use LibreOffice and have used Open Office up until about a month ago. The User interface is different from Word, but nothing so different that a moderately intelligent person can't become reasonably productive within a few minutes of use.

I chose to switch to LO because I liked the UI a bit better and it seemed a bit snappier in performance. But OO is just fine and now that Apache is managing OO development, I think we will see real progress in keeping it current.

I don't use Sigil, so I don't know what it's compatibility requirements are. However both OO and LO can save in several flavors of the following text file formats, odf, xml, doc, docx,rtf, txt. They say LO is more compatible with Word, but I've never noticed any sort of difference. Maybe I'm not too particular, I don't know.

Since both LO and OO are free for both personal and commercial use, you have no costs associated for an extended trial. Even if you decide to stay with MS Office, you win by trying them out, since at least you will know if they are for you or not.
thanks Glen. I'm going to check them both out. (there's just so many options) (and what the heck, I think I'm moderately intelligent)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #27
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
OneNote is a notes database application. It allows you to take notes and store them for quick and easy retrieval.

I've found ZIM desktop Wiki to be a similar application. It is OpenSource and as such it is free for both personal and commercial use.

Tomboy is another popular open source note taking application, but I prefer Zim for Windows, but Zim is not available for Unbutu Linux in an easy to install format, (so when I'm using Unbutu, Zim is not available).

Edit: By coincidence, I have just discovered ZIM IS available for Unbutu. If you go to the Unbutu Software Center, you will find it filed under Accessories and not under Office
Appreciate the explanation.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

that sounds amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
There is an extension/plug-in Writer2xhtml that will allow you to export from OpenOffice or LibreOffice to EPub - which you can then open in Sigil for a final tidy-up. Writer2xhtml does a very good job of producing a fairly clean epub, but like all office software, there's generally some invisible detritus in there that I like to eliminate (and I'm also obsessive about other things ).
Thanks gmw. This sounds too good to be true. (I looked at the link.) It seemed like Glen favored LibreOffice, so if I compose in LibreOffice, then I export to EPub, then to Sigil for the final tidy-up, I'll be good to go.

I've got a couple of novels in Word 2003 still so those will be what I'll be working on for a bit, but I'm definitely keeping your suggestion in mind for future projects. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #29
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you really have a pony?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

A slight word of warning. . .

Writer2xhtml at this point, doesn't claim compatibility with LibreOffice V4. If you want to use it without any surprises, you might be advised to use one of the older versions of OO or LO it claims compatibility with.

While both OO and LO make it easy to download the latest version, the older versions remain available for situations like this. Yet another reason to love the Open Source concept!