Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Interestingly enough their own photos of reading in a dark room show a less than optimum screen, to say the least. The idea of the PW is to be able to read in a dark room with the built in light. But even their own photos show you won't get a white screen in a dark room. The upper 2/3 of the screen looks fairly grey and shadowy to me. It looks like you can only expect a white screen in brightly lit rooms and in daylight while outside.

I'm glad I returned mine. This shows that it would never look good for dark room night reading.

What is wrong with that screen? That PW looks great!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #32
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I think those photos show Amazon has made a lemon much like the Sony PRS-700 was. I suspect the PW will be replaced in less than a year.

I tell you what, I would buy it if they got rid of the light layer. I like the rest of the features and speed, but that light will never work for me.
Nonsense
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #33
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
They say in the above liked article:
The ad-supported basic model will knock you back £109 ...

Here in Germany they do not offer a SO version. and the WIFI non SO costs 129 EURO (about £105). That would be expensive for the island.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/12/k...paperwhite-uk/

Last edited by Helgetus; 10-12-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added the link again
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #34
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
@trauma doll
They may not even know about it yet. Hardly anyone mentions anything in their comments on their review page.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #35
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Do a long press on the zero level for the PW light chart and the light will turn off totally.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
It doesn't look like Engadget will be covering the story:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/12/k...paperwhite-uk/

I guess once they gave the product a good review, there's no going back for them.
That's why I don't like sites like Engadget. They are too commercial and I doubt their PW reviewer knows much about e-readers anyway. Having turned an e-reader on and off a couple times doesn't make them an expert.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
What is wrong with that screen? That PW looks great!
To each their own...but to me that looks very dark in the upper 2/3 of the screen and light in the bottom 1/3. It is not evenly and consistently lit as advertised. My MightyBrite clip on does a much better job of even lighting. Where is the white, it looks dull and grey.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #38
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Do a long press on the zero level for the PW light chart and the light will turn off totally.
No it doesn't! Tilt the PW top toward your eyes and look down into the bottom part of the screen at an angle and you will see 4 lit LEDs even at light level 0.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post

That's 5?
5 on my device is way lower than that. No way I could read on 5 on mine in total darkness.

My screen is otherwise pretty uniform. But not as bright as that.
If anything, my complaint is about fonts being 'washed out'. Comparing to some other units I have seen, my fonts are not very bold. But I thought that was a problem with the brighter units, not with the less bright ones.
That screen looks absolutely fine to me. I'd have no complains at all about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #40
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I too think that the screen in the picture looks ok...
The question is: will you get such a screen and will it stay like that...

I dont care if it's not 100% evenly distributed and will not use the light most of the time anyway, i care for the great resolution and speed and fonts...
Will I get these, same quality as with my Touch?
Then I'll keep mine once it arrives in November (22nd)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I too think that the screen in the picture looks ok...
The question is: will you get such a screen and will it stay like that...
I'll find out the answer to that in a couple of weeks .
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'll just add the obvious and say that looking at photos of a PW screen on the internet and reading on a PW are two totally different experiences. The only way to know if you will find it acceptable is to try one out for a few days.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I'll just add the obvious and say that looking at photos of a PW screen on the internet and reading on a PW are two totally different experiences. The only way to know if you will find it acceptable is to try one out for a few days.
I totally agree, but I'm coming to it with the expectation that it'll be a slightly better booklight, not that it'll be like an evenly illuminated backlit LCD screen, because I know that this type of lighting system won't produce even illumination.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #44
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
It doesn't to me, but that's because I know what that looks like in person: you have blue background behind the shopping cart and on the same line pink to right of the search symbol. It is not enjoyable, to me, when I try to read a book, because I don't like looking at the screen: almost like reading a novel that oneone pilled two different colored drinks on.

Others may not mind, I simply am a very visual person and have great eye sight.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #45
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
I totally agree, but I'm coming to it with the expectation that it'll be a slightly better booklight, not that it'll be like an evenly illuminated backlit LCD screen, because I know that this type of lighting system won't produce even illumination.
I wish it were even the same as a booklight. It's not the shadows that are the problem, it's the pastels in many cases, and there is no way of getting rid of them, unless you switch "off" the light, only that then the contrast is worse than on the K4s I have. I must admit that I have been thinking of just sliding the light slider to zero and using a booklight with it, but it seems a bit nonsensical to do this with the PW. Or keep the PW for daytime use, because I really like the interface, and use the K4 at night. Again, seems a bit nonsensical to do so.