Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
descotes
descotes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle touch to Kindle iphone app sync

Hello,

I am new to the world of Kindle touch and I'd like to start using mine. However there are sometimes I read on my Kindle and sometimes on my phone (it has a light). However have .mobi files of books that I have been able to upload to Amazon and download to my kindle/iphone kindle app. However I can't get them to sync "furthest page read"!

I read about Calibre? I am not sure what that is or what it does but I am wondering if there was somewhere step by step instructions for a (semi-technologically challenged) person to be able to upload and have books sync between 2 devices. Thank you for your help!

Stacy
descotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
descotes

Anyone?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Did you verify that Syncing is enabled on your Manage Your Kindle page on your Amazon.com account?

Personally, I don't use the syncing feature. I generally just note the location that I am at in a book, then us the Go To function to go directly to that location on a different device. I find this faster than actually turning on wireless and waiting for the device to sync and check for new items.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
descotes

I did look at that. It is on. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If the books were sent as personal documents to Amazon, then syncing of last page read should work. You must sync on the first device after you stop reading, then sync on the second device before starting to read at the same location. If that isn't working, call Kindle Support for assistance.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
descotes

Hi Susan, they were sent as personal documents and the syncing should work with that too? I will have to check that. I thought it automatically synced. I will try to do it manually and see if that works.

Thank you.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
descotes

Update: I don't think that may work. Just read this on Amazon:

Bookmarks, highlights, and notes, and synchronization of reading locations through Whispersync are not supported for subscriptions, personal documents that are not archived in your Kindle Library and sideloaded content on the Kindle app.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
As long as the documents are stored on Amazon's server, and you send the docs to your Kindle and iPhone from that stored document, syncing should work fine.

It makes sense that a document that was side loaded onto a Kindle would't work, I would think that Amazon needs to tag the document in some way so it knows what to sync.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Use the send to kindle app to send content as an alternative to side loading will totally have sync working great.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
KitsBeach
KitsBeach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
I have the same problem. Books have been "delivered to" my kindle touch and my iphone via the amazon site.

Syncing used to work perfectly. I could read on my kindle and then later when I was out and about I could open up my iphone app and it would sync to where I left off.

Two things have happened lately. Amazon has sent us canadians to the .ca site to manage our kindles. And I have replaced my iphone.

I had a temporary solution by deleting a book from my kindle and then hard rebooting the kindle and re-delivering the book again. It synced to my phone for one read and then failed again.

The error I receive is this:

Sync Results

Unable to retrieve the furthest location read. If this is the first time you have opened this book, your device will update your location when you close the book or your device goes to sleep.

Any ideas..?
KitsBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
dbrazeau
dbrazeau began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Lightbulb

Try to go to your Kindle app (on your iphone), in Library, click on setting (botton right side), at the bottom of the page, click on 'Other', turn on Annotation Sych & backup'.
it worked for me.
I would think it should work for iPads too.

good luck
dbrazeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, sync "furthest page read"